saltys hair.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: saltys hair.

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When pro athletes started to get paid millions , they all started to see themselves as rock stars.

Go back and look at a team picture of the 1967 Red Sox, every player is clean shaven and has short hair. It gave a look of professionalism to sports figures.Late 60s NFL : Johnny Unitas was all business with his military style crew cut....the flamboyant Joe Namath had the long sideburns and longer hair, along with the playboy lifestyle. The Jets won and this was the dawn of the millionaire pro athlete.

They are all celebrities, millionaires and they do what the hell they want, they don't care to look or act professional anymore. THEY DON'T CARE THAT THEY ARE ROLE MODELS FOR THE YOUNG. All they care about is money , fame and image.

For Rock stars it has been part of the image for a long time. Athletes are not Rock stars, they were once held to a higher standard. But they don't care. When you can burn a hundred thousand bucks in one evening and not feel any loss, why care?

There is no reason why baseball should take a persons identity away.  It's part of their makeup and makes them feel most comfortable.

This is coming from a 53 year old, just because everyone in the 80's had bell bottoms, silk shirts and perms doesn't mean they should today regardless of whether they play ball or just walk around in public.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

[QUOTE]

When pro athletes started to get paid millions , they all started to see themselves as rock stars.

Go back and look at a team picture of the 1967 Red Sox, every player is clean shaven and has short hair. It gave a look of professionalism to sports figures.Late 60s NFL : Johnny Unitas was all business with his military style crew cut....the flamboyant Joe Namath had the long sideburns and longer hair, along with the playboy lifestyle. The Jets won and this was the dawn of the millionaire pro athlete.

They are all celebrities, millionaires and they do what the hell they want, they don't care to look or act professional anymore. THEY DON'T CARE THAT THEY ARE ROLE MODELS FOR THE YOUNG. All they care about is money , fame and image.

For Rock stars it has been part of the image for a long time. Athletes are not Rock stars, they were once held to a higher standard. But they don't care. When you can burn a hundred thousand bucks in one evening and not feel any loss, why care?

There is no reason why baseball should take a persons identity away.  It's part of their makeup and makes them feel most comfortable.

This is coming from a 53 year old, just because everyone in the 80's had bell bottoms, silk shirts and perms doesn't mean they should today regardless of whether they play ball or just walk around in public.

I think that was the 70's craze...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Ha! 

These kids now a days w/ their Black Zepplins and their Led Sabbaths

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Who cares if hair is long or short

Or sprayed or partly grayed...

WE KNOW THAT HAIR AIN'T

WHERE IT'S AT" - Frank Zappa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsuk9S0XknE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

..and the funny thing is I am neither RIGHT WING nor am I a devout CHRISTIAN.

I just believe that when you play PROFESSIONAL sports you should look PROFESSIONAL.

Religion and politics doesn't enter into it.

I love Rock music and have no issue with Rock stars and their image. This image has spilled over into real life. People copy their idols. I am a huge fan of Heavy Metal, no one would ever guess. I love the music , do not embrace the lifestyle or the image. I would never wear my hair like David Coverdale just because I like his music.

We had a dress code in school, not because they wanted to be mean and nasty to us kids. But it was because they want to teach us that appearance and personal hygiene is an important factor in dealing with other people. I have worked with the public for over 30 years and would never dream of growing my hair or having a scraggily beard ( I don't even go to work unshaven). I like to look like I am a professional , and you know something it helps. Your self confidence and your reputation with people soars when you are well groomed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Wait.. Now you're questioning his personal hygiene? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think that was the 70's craze...

We both may be right southpaw, the 70's was the rock-n-roll love child/hippie/bell bottom era with the long hair and very laid back style like I fell into :)  The 80's were the disco, perm/afro/bell bottoms etc.  

Not much different except the music I guess!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Eh, I don't buy into image when it comes to roll models.  Steve Garvey was old school clean cut in the midst of the decidedly-unclean-cut 70's.  But Steve is unquestionable going to be roasting in whatever hot corner of hell reserved for skeevy prev fornicators.  You can't judge a book by its cover.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Eh, I don't buy into image when it comes to roll models.  Steve Garvey was old school clean cut in the midst of the decidedly-unclean-cut 70's.  But Steve is unquestionable going to be roasting in whatever hot corner of hell reserved for skeevy prev fornicators.  You can't judge a book by its cover.

Look at our 04 and 07 teams spaceman.  From Damon to Millar and Manny those teams were all about their character, not all clean cut images in that bunch and lots of fun to watch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Look at our 04 and 07 teams spaceman.  From Damon to Millar and Manny those teams were all about their character, not all clean cut images in that bunch and lots of fun to watch.

No doubt Craze.  Cowboys & Idiots.  So great, especially in contrast to the corporate button-down boring Yankees in those days ... by the way, Craze, not to nit-pick, but I too think you are a decade off in your look recap ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

No doubt Craze.  Cowboys & Idiots.  So great, especially in contrast to the corporate button-down boring Yankees in those days ... by the way, Craze, not to nit-pick, but I too think you are a decade off in your look recap ...

yeah, the 80's was all about neon colors, spandex and big hair. Disco was going out and hair Metal was coming in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

yeah, the 80's was all about neon colors, spandex and big hair. Disco was going out and hair Metal was coming in.

[/QUOTE

I guess you can include me in the long list of people who began to lose memory in the late 60's/early 70's spaceman from all the second hand to first hand smoke clouds. 

My parents were good role models in a lot of ways and bad in others :) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Personally, I would like to see the whole of pro sports go back to promoting a sense of professionalism. People who work in business offices can't get away with looking like homeless bums, but Ozzie Osbourne did.

It really doesn't mean anything, but the image you project speaks volumes.

Would you be more likely to buy insurance from a guy who looks like George Clooney or a guy who looks like Keith Richards?

Zilla, I don't see how a man with long hair is necessarily a bad role model.  It's not Osbourne or Richards' hair length that I see as an issue in that respect, it's their massive alcohol and narcotic consumption and general shambolic behaviour.  In fact other than their self-medication you could argue their behaviour has been relatively good for millionaire musicians despite their devil's haircuts.  ;-)

Sections
Shortcuts