Sans Napoli.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Sans Napoli.......

.....are the Sox done dealing this off-season, or do you think there is still another piece to the puzzle?

I was hoping for a real #1 or #2 starter, which should have been top priority, IMO.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Sans Napoli.......

once the 1B situation is settled i would imagine they add another bench player who can play 1B/OF in a pinch. (berkman, Abreau hopefully). Depending on the option situation of our BP arms we may have to deal someone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The roster is a work in progress so your hope for a #1 or #2 can happen anytime between now and the trade deadline...personally I'm not convinced that we need another starter save for someone to serve as depth @ AAA

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

The 40 man roster still has too many C's, SS's and relievers.  While the likely 25 man roster looks better, it still could be improved to increase the potential to contend this year.  So yes, I think there will be at least a few more moves, if not one blockbuster.  Salty, Iggy, Doubs, Aceves, Bard, prospects, and of course Ells as part of the blockbuster, would be the obvious pieces to give up.  Trouble is trying to pick the best target acquisitions.  Just aren't that many young top of the rotation starters or stud hitters available out there, so they may have to look for a Cliff Lee type arm or a bigger contract bat.  One interesting guy flying around the rumormill in Philly that I haven't seen in this forum is CarGo.  Could be a nice fit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:

The 40 man roster still has too many C's, SS's and relievers.  While the likely 25 man roster looks better, it still could be improved to increase the potential to contend this year.  So yes, I think there will be at least a few more moves, if not one blockbuster.  Salty, Iggy, Doubs, Aceves, Bard, prospects, and of course Ells as part of the blockbuster, would be the obvious pieces to give up.  Trouble is trying to pick the best target acquisitions.  Just aren't that many young top of the rotation starters or stud hitters available out there, so they may have to look for a Cliff Lee type arm or a bigger contract bat.  One interesting guy flying around the rumormill in Philly that I haven't seen in this forum is CarGo.  Could be a nice fit.

doesn't CarGo play for the rockies?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

I'm assuming he means Philly forums.  Looks like Domonic Brown is a bust if they are looking at CarGon.  

I'd be very interested in kicking the tires on CarGon's availability.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Got to be frustrating for the players to not know what their role is going to be, or perhaps they do know and are just keeping the plan from the fans. For LF, I guess it will be Gomes/Kalish/Nava, then Victorino in RF. Is Sweeney still in the mix? I imagine Iggy and Lav will be sent down and Ciriaco will be the utility guy. Still think we need another who can play 1b unlees the plan is to bring up Gomez if Nap goes down (provided he signs of course).

I couldn't even venture to guess the line-up at this stage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

.....are the Sox done dealing this off-season, or do you think there is still another piece to the puzzle?

I was hoping for a real #1 or #2 starter, which should have been top priority, IMO.

I guess if #1 & #2 starters grew on trees the Sox GM would have paid to acquire one or two of them since he certainly hasn't been shy about spending on contracts.

Problem is, Grienke was the only starter of that caliber on the FA market this season, and the other one that category that was available was scooped up by the Blue Jays even though the Sox were in discussions with the Marlins too.

The Red Sox are hoping that the guys they have on their 40 man roster now:

1. Lester
    2. Buccholz
    3. Dempster
    4. Lackey
    5. Doubront
    6. Morales
    7. Aceves
    8. Del la Rosa
    9. Webster

...that 5 of them will represent their starting rotation for the beginning of ST and for opening day. To bring in another starter would mean that one or more of the top 5 guys would have to go in a trade too.

Prior to 2012...Lester, Lackey and Buchholz were considered top of the rotation starters...and I think the Sox front office and new manager are hoping they get back to their former levels...if that does not happen, look for the trade inquiries to begin.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Got to be frustrating for the players to not know what their role is going to be, or perhaps they do know and are just keeping the plan from the fans. For LF, I guess it will be Gomes/Kalish/Nava, then Victorino in RF. Is Sweeney still in the mix? I imagine Iggy and Lav will be sent down and Ciriaco will be the utility guy. Still think we need another who can play 1b unlees the plan is to bring up Gomez if Nap goes down (provided he signs of course).

Assuming Napoli is signed I think the Sox line-up is pretty clearly defined now:

1. Ellsbury
    2. Victorino/Drew
    3. Pedroia
    4. Ortiz
    5. Napoli
    6. Middlebrroks
    7. Saltalamacchia
    8. Gomes/Kalish or Nava
    9. Drew/Vidtorino

Rotation:

1. Lester
    2. Buccholz
    3. Dempster
    4. Lackey
    5. Doubront

Bullpen:

1. Hanrahan
    2. Bailey
    3. Uehara
    4. Tazawa
    5. Breslow
    6. Morales
    7. Aceves

Miller and Bard still part of the mix here too.

Bench:

1. Ciricao
    2. Ross
    3. Kalish/Nava
    4. Backup IB - LH bat that can play D (Berkman/Kotchman/Overbay)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

I'm assuming he means Philly forums.  Looks like Domonic Brown is a bust if they are looking at CarGon.  

I'd be very interested in kicking the tires on CarGon's availability.

Yes, Bowden posted a thing on B/R team stream app re 6 teams that should go after Gonzalez, one of which was the Phillies (Balt, Tex, NYY, Pitt, Sea are the others, Sox surprisingly not included as they are in most of Bowden's stuff).  Started some good chatter around here.  Nothing saying he's available, but he is exactly the type of bat that would really help the current Sox lineup (a consistent version of Jake).  

And yes, D. Brown is looking like a much overhyped prospect.  Ruf is the guy they're big on now.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

So far the line up: w/o Napoli

Ellsbury CF

Victorino RF

Peddy 2B

Papi DH

Middlebrooks 3B

Salty C

Drew SS

Gomes LF 

Gomez 1B

Napoli is a ? If napoli contract is rejected then maybe Switch Hitter Berkman who can OF and 1B or a long shot Carlos Lee for 1B

OR the possibility of a trade for Ike Davis

Pitching starting lester buch dempster lackey doubront

Bull pen Hannrahan bailey tazawa uhera breslow melancon morales aceves

Bench ross nava ciriaco

others may take the 40 man roster after spring training bard ,webster, holt, iggy, de la rosa, linares, kalish, barnes, wright, and  prospects that shows promises

Overall i am looking forward to spring training to see what propsects shows high potential. The spring traing season will be a big factor regarding the Sox 40 man roster.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

Ike wants to know now who is on the 40 man roster, where they will be playing, the pecking order in the bullpen, and the order of the starting rotation. He can't understand why Ben hasn't made this public yet. He feels entitled to such information.

Ike just feels entitled in gemeral...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

Question. Before getting injured, Morales was doing a Sandy Koufax impression. He, surprisingly, was really throwing that thang. - To me, non-expert, he seemed like our best Pitcher for a couple of months. Does anyone think he can beat out Dubront for the #5 spot?? If so, what becomes of Felix?

While we're at it, if Bard starts throwing 99 again, and becomes "Old Bard" he has to make the team and play a major role. 

Whether Bard comes back or not, is it just me, or does our "set-up man", Bailey become to be our weakest link in the bullpen?

Should be very interesting on how things play out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Strangeglove's comment:

Question. Before getting injured, Morales was doing a Sandy Koufax impression. He, surprisingly, was really throwing that thang. - To me, non-expert, he seemed like our best Pitcher for a couple of months. Does anyone think he can beat out Dubront for the #5 spot?? If so, what becomes of Felix?

While we're at it, if Bard starts throwing 99 again, and becomes "Old Bard" he has to make the team and play a major role. 

Whether Bard comes back or not, is it just me, or does our "set-up man", Bailey become to be our weakest link in the bullpen?

Should be very interesting on how things play out.

It certainly will make for a lively camp.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I, too, would like to have seen the acquisition of a legitimate #1 or #2 starter.  But, please, tell me which pitcher in your opinion was available via FA or trade that qualifies as a legitimate #1 or #2 and, in your opinion, had a reasonable price tag.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sweeney's gone.

Kalish will likely play everyday in AAA and Nava will be the LF platoon unless we make a minor move.

Sections
Shortcuts