Satchel

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Satchel

In Response to Re: Satchel:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Satchel : That certainly is an odd choice of words.  I'll leave it up to Harness to address that one. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Are we going to start lynching people again?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Satchel : The intent was not show our progress, but rather to rekindle an unjust time in our history. Our country is by no means perfect, but it's still the best place in the world IMO. If you read the OPs second post, you will get the gist of the intent.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Ike, the intent was to acknowledge the truth: about a great ball player and the injustice done to him by our country's history - on a day when the noise of fireworks drowns out the meaning of celebration.
    If you feel dealing with historic facts should be hid underneath 4th of July vendor sales, then I must question your priorities.

I did it simply as a reminder by applauding the life of another, who justifiably deserves it. Let's keep one very important thing in mind: This country was started because of the lack of liberty in another. To turn around and impose the same restrictions on our own people is the essence of  hypocrisy.

If you ever run into a concentration camp survivor who shows you the number branded into his skin, will you accuse him/her of "rekindling old wounds"?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Image over substance. Simply repeating poignant stories about the past and then claiming to be on the moral high ground is what politicians do. 1.  It's very real, today, in Boston, except it's no longer overt. It's de facto. Most people live segregated intimate lives and identify with and embrace segregated culture. 2. Referred to Board members haven't "shot anything down". American government and leadership today is a direct insult to the values embraced in The Declaration of Independence.  Since Woodrow Wilson introduced the 16th Amendment and Roosevelt introduced entitlements, the progeny is The Delclaration of Dependents.  There is nothing about this Nation, today, that represents the spirit of genius and the life or death pursuit of independence from an oppressive central authority.  The central authority power retention method of today is to instill resentment in the working and entitlement classes, with the promise of government settling the score with the "rich" and delivering the "social justice" reparations of entitlements. This tenet drives the mission of collectivist government administration, and is the old playbook documented in the Manifesto of two demented minds.  Race and ethnicity "stories from the horrid past" are injected to inflame the passions of these classes, not to address current bigotry and the hypocrisy of the disciples of collectivism.  The author of this thread is simply droning popular stories that reflect the tokenism that still dominates "progressives" and the inner workings of major league baseball fans, ownnersip and management. There wasn't one synapse of independent thought in starting this thread. It is merely a politically correct obligatory token comment from someone who isn't even remotely authentic on the issue, disconnected in time and space. This is the kind of mind that makes this Nation a Declaration of Dependents, aping the Guardian central government policies. It is the dependent mind that embodies the very antithesis of the minds of those that signed the Declaration of Independence.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Nice double-talk to address your political rants yet again.
    They are as poorly disguised as your new handle.

The authors of that doctrine in 1776 had their own issues, not that it lessens the intent. Exposing the failure to carry out the content is where you live - every day - in every political rant. Now that you see it in a glimpse from another, you walk around your own mirror.

True to form.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Satchel : Are we going to start lynching people again?
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

The board bashers do it on a daily basis.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Dottie has those threads into the archive that were upsetting to Harness and many others. I mean the threads of recent weeks by Georom who was worried that the DFA-ing of Cameron and McDonald would appear to be racist by Red Sox Nation. Softlaw is also always anxious to tell us that a trade or lack of playing time to a non-white is racist. Others are always examining what is the proper percent quota of each race or ethnic group on the 25 man roster. We also had another who was always obsessed with the supposed media bashing of Dice-K. All of these threads go to page #3 if we don't comment on them and then to the archive where they rot.

The OP would have been fine if it was 100% about Satchel Paige instead of putting it side by side with Softlaw and Georom recent racial baiting rants.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Dottie has those threads into the archive that were upsetting to Harness and many others. I mean the threads of recent weeks by Georom who was worried that the DFA-ing of Cameron and McDonald would appear to be racist by Red Sox Nation. Softlaw is also always anxious to tell us that a trade or lack of playing time to a non-white is racist. Others are always examining what is the proper percent quota of each race or ethnic group on the 25 man roster. We also had another who was always obsessed with the supposed media bashing of Dice-K. All of these threads go to page #3 if we don't comment on them and then to the archive where they rot. The OP would have been fine if it was 100% about Satchel Paige instead of putting it side by side with Softlaw and Georom recent racial baiting rants.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

It's nice to see you add your personal touch to this heartfelt and poignant thread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Dottie has those threads into the archivethat were upsetting to Harness and many others. I mean the threads of recent weeks by Georom who was worried that the DFA-ing of Cameron and McDonald would appear to be racist by Red Sox Nation. Softlaw is also always anxious to tell us that a trade or lack of playing time to a non-white is racist. Others are always examining what is the proper percent quota of each race or ethnic group on the 25 man roster. We also had another who was always obsessed with the supposed media bashing of Dice-K. All of these threads go to page #3 if we don't comment on them and then to the archive where they rot. The OP would have been fine if it was 100% about Satchel Paige instead of putting it side by side with Softlaw and Georom recent racial baiting rants.

Bit of a hypercritic yourself, aren't you? You just mentioned BDC Dottie on another thread, and spoke of the reason why such threads were "archived" - i.e.
    closed for discussion (to inhibit bumping practices).

As for discussing Satchel Paige, unless you wish to keep your head in the sand, there's no way to discuss him credibly without bringing up the fact that he was deprived of the very rights given to others.

I agree with you that racial remarks are used as an excuse on this board in a pathetic manner. You should be able to distinguish between that and
    historical fact. It was brought up in the OP.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Satchel : Bit of a hypercritic yourself, aren't you? You just mentioned BDC Dottie on another thread, and spoke of the reason why such threads were "archived" - i.e. closed for discussion (to inhibit bumping practices). As for discussing Satchel Paige, unless you wish to keep your head in the sand, there's no way to discuss him credibly without bringing up the fact that he was deprived of the very rights given to others. I agree with you that racial remarks are used as an excuse on this board in a pathetic manner. You should be able to distinguish between that and historical fact.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

You have to read between the lines; he wasn't using another thread as a jump-off point for his own special brand of BDC satire  ..  then again .....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Satchel : You have to read between the lines; he wasn't using another thread as a jump-off point for his own special brand of BDC satire  ..  then again .....
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I know. I was using it to illustrate his own hypocrisy.
    Let's not let any further discussions about Pike contaminate this thread.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Satchel : I know.  I was using it to illustrate his own hypocrisy. Let's not let any further discussions about Pike contaminate this thread.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Do I need a special non-porous suit and mask? I believe my replica of Neil Armstrongs fake... errr...  I mean real lunar space suit should suffice. (Get it? Luuunar)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The following segment of the OP was not necessary IMO:

Dice went down with TJ surgery, and there were comments about Japanese.
    Cam was DFA'd and there were accusations of bigotry if Mac followed shortly after.
    Much of this was shot down by several board members.

But the accusations were echoes of a time when it was very real. Players were segregated - a reflection of the times.

Recent racial baiting on the forum by Softlaw, Georom, and others are not echos of the 1940s. That generation has died. In is no longer a valid excuse to link your bigotry or racism with what was "a relection of the times in the 1940s. Softlaw and Georom and others must deal with their feelings on an individual personal basis. Why bring up bigotry of todays posters and discuss it in the same paragraph as what society did 70 years ago? It is not relevant or pertinent.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]The following segment of the OP was not necessary IMO: Dice went down with TJ surgery, and there were comments about Japanese. Cam was DFA'd and there were accusations of bigotry if Mac followed shortly after. Much of this was shot down by several board members. But the accusations were echoes of a time when it was very real. Players were segregated - a reflection of the times. Recent racial baiting on the forum by Softlaw, Georom, and others are not echos of the 1940s. That generation has died. In is no longer a valid excuse to link your bigotry or racism with what was "a relection of the times in the 1940s. Softlaw and Georom and others must deal with their feelings on an individual personal basis. Why bring up bigotry of todays posters and discuss it in the same paragraph as what society did 70 years ago? It is not relevant or pertinent.

A refection of the times? A bit mild, don't ya think?
    The fact that generation is dead is hardly irrelevant. Especially if the lesson learned died with it. Washington and Lincoln are also dead. Do we erase their works?
    Why celebrate anything if you choose to ignore the foundation?
    Is your past meaningless because it's in the past?

Bigoted statements are always linked to past realities, one way or another.
    How relevant the accusation depends on the context. Cam wasn't released because of his skin color. He was ineffective, period. The OP is simply stating the difference. That's the link I brought up. One analogy to bigotry is based on historical fact. Others here are sadly misplaced.  No better way to expose a falsehood than by bringing up the truth.

The 4th of July is now about making noise. The meaning of it is lost in the colorful sky-line. Think before celebrating. People have a tendency to glamorize the wrong elements.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]This thread was an obligatory attempt to project a false image on the author's actual life in regards to race. It is this feeble minded drone who represents the current de facto bigotry that is de facto Boston. He is completely without authenticity. Intellectually dishonest in what amounts to an aping patronizing comment to boost the author's own insecurities. This thread violates board rules on every level, content and procedure. However, the signature of propganda is that this author will be allowed to use this forum, only because he represents the viewpoint of the "moderators" of this site. If the comment was critical of current public policy on race and ethnic history, he would be banned immediately. Instead, he simply posts a childish and artificial token story and passes it off as if that's where his life is invested. In practice, his life and what created him goes no farther than repeating the public policy of the day. If times were to change, this mental midget would simply copy what prevailed during the times.  

This has to be the most hypercritical post I have ever seen. You - who also have posted under different variations of SOFTLAW more than anybody else are banned for UR political rants.

You attack me without any knowledge of fact. And the fact I don't discuss politics here on a regular basis like you do - on a baseball forum - hardly means I'm ignorant of the landscape.

You pathetically use bigotry to cover your own poor baseball shortcomings. Or perhaps it's to mask the hideous deeds of UR ancestry - you know, the very ancestry you are so prideful of.. Only you know that truth.

As for this thread, I do believe many here have applauded it. It violates nothing. It's a baseball discussion with political undertone. Given the subject matter, one can't be separated from the other.
    I can't help the direction it takes. Your tactics are gutter-slime. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]This thread was an obligatory attempt to project a false image on the author's actual life in regards to race. It is this feeble minded drone who represents the current de facto bigotry that is de facto Boston. He is completely without authenticity. Intellectually dishonest in what amounts to an aping patronizing comment to boost the author's own insecurities. This thread violates board rules on every level, content and procedure. However, the signature of propganda is that this author will be allowed to use this forum, only because he represents the viewpoint of the "moderators" of this site. If the comment was critical of current public policy on race and ethnic history, he would be banned immediately. Instead, he simply posts a childish and artificial token story and passes it off as if that's where his life is invested. In practice, his life and what created him goes no farther than repeating the public policy of the day. If times were to change, this mental midget would simply copy what prevailed during the times.  

Are U kidding? After all the stuff U posted?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]It's a baseball discussion with political undertone. So, you rant indignantly about how I don't know the facts of your feeble minded life, but you keep repeating "the hideous deeds of your ancestors". My ancestors didn't commit any "hideous deeds". The only hideous deed is your childish thread that isn't worthy of more than an ape. A patent agenda driven political overtone with the intellecutal authenticity of the man who claimed he was in Selma, AL, marching along. You could care less what happened in the life of Satchel Paige, have no authenticty to repeat s snipet from it, other than to advance your own poor self image.

Correction: In a prior post, we discussed slave ownership and when I asked you about UR political ancestry, which you speak of occasionally, and any possible connection, you flew off the handle. Just as you are now.
    I said repeatedly, both then and now, that only you know the truth about it.
    I never claim to know your family history beyond what you disclosed. Nor have I ever called it "feeble-minded" or attacked it in any indignant manner.

Everything about Paige is documented by source. That's the authenticity. Just because one isn't born into that era doesn't make the data fictitious. And don't you ever tell me what I do or don't care about. The subject of pitching interests me. His life fascinates me because he was so talented and so colorful. I thought many here would be interested in his life after he left the majors,as well as many of the quotes. Your accusations are but a reflection of UR lack of character.

What's transparent is the fact that your political rants are all but ignored now.
    What's factual is that you are an unwanted presence on this board, by the heavy majority of it's members, and by BDC. And when the proper software is implemented, you will no longer be a factor here.

I said it before and I'll repeat it: You are one of the most disturbed and abusive individuals ever to be allowed on a public forum.
    And you again show it. While others are discussing a delicate subject matter, you choose to attack me instead - for the very thing you yourself are guilty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

This coming from the king of violating the board rules..You get more pathetic with each day and every name change from being BANNED from this forum on a consistent basis

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Bringing up past iniquities does nothing but keep them alive, and allow for the exploitation of same. We are supposed to be a very forgiving nation, but forgiveness is selective, and seldom comes with the very important part of forgiveness and that is forgetting.
    A person who says they forgive but will not forget, retains the right to use that transgression as ammunition if so chosen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Pretty simple to post what Big Brother wants to hear. And, you, Southpaw, can revel in the knowledge that your sycophancy will keep you around as a mindless minion who needs approval.

u believe what u want if it makes u sleep well at night..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

harness, old friend. Great tribute. Moving and important. Thanks.

Always loved Satchel Paige-isms, though; almost as much as Yogi-isms.

"Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you."

"
    Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

"Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Or perhaps it's to mask the hideous deeds of UR ancestry that only you know the truth about it. I never claim to know your family history beyond what you disclosed. Nor have I ever called it "feeble-minded" or attacked it in any indignant manner Needless to say, " hideous deeds of UR ancestry" is a groundless attack that has zero basis in fact. Your own words show the animus and prevarication in what amounts to a deeply distrubed mind who lives his life with inadequacy based resentment and the standard phony's repetition of stories about people's lives during segregation.  Your comments on Satchel Paige reveal your ignorance of a man you know nothing about beyond your repetition of romanticized embellisments related by those who couldn't give an honest account of history because it doesn't reflect the political agenda that serves as the motive for the accounts themselves. This Board is almost entirely made up of weak minded characters who don't seem to mind playing along with censhorship and your de facto board bully routine. The "flying off" claim is a bugaboo for your own angry flying off rants. The need to employ the "censor the bad boogieman" routine is quite pathetic.     

Articulate writing; not that I agree with it, but from the POV that the dialogue on this thread illustrates complete & mutual disdain; despite having loyalties to the same team. And, quite frankly, on this thread, you started the provocation.