Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox

In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox:
    In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox : second rain delay.......grounds crew the star of the game. its been on and off rain all day in CT, so may trying to play in between the breaks of rain. they may call this a game, and try to get the second one started. Bedard will be a concern pitching in the rain just off the DL from an back injury.
    Posted by J-BAY

true, that would be a concern

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Not sure if they have a rule to cover a situation like this, but it does not seem logical that they could call this game and then try to start Game 2 an hour later. It might make sense because of the big lead in this one.  I think there is a minimum waiting period before they can call it. Not sure what it is , 45 minutes?  No good solution here due to the lack of a makeup date. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Not sure if they have a rule to cover a situation like this, but it does not seem logical that they could call this game and then try to start Game 2 an hour later. It might make sense because of the big lead in this one.  I think there is a minimum waiting period before they can call it. Not sure what it is , 45 minutes?  No good solution here due to the lack of a makeup date. 
    Posted by dgalehouse

I don't know either gale, may be both teams have to agree to it. would the sox have to take the unplayed game as a loss if they dont make it up? this is oaklands last trip East.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

If the unplayed game is deemed critical to play at the end of the season then they will play it. It's happened before.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox : I don't know either gale, may be both teams have to agree to it. would the sox have to take the unplayed game as a loss if they dont make it up? this is oaklands last trip East.
    Posted by J-BAY

No! It's not a forfeit. If it can't be rescheduled, it one less game played. In '72 the Sox lost the pennant by 1/2 game for that reason.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If the unplayed game is deemed critical to play at the end of the season then they will play it. It's happened before.
    Posted by Your-Echo

The way I understand it is ; the only day they could play it would be the day before the playoffs start. So, I guess the only way it could be considered critical would be if the Sox would be a half game behind the Yankees at that time.            ( Assuming , of course , that the Rays are not a factor.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox : No! It's not a forfeit. If it can't be rescheduled, it one less game played. In '72 the Sox lost the pennant by 1/2 game for that reason.  
    Posted by soxdawg08

I think he meant that they would lose the revenue for the home date.   It would not count as a loss in the standings. It would not be made up unless the Sox were a half game behind the Yankees at seasons end.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Posted by dgalehouse

They do have a rule, and a procedure...basically it's the home teams responsibility to call the game before it begins and it's the crew chief responsibilty once the game begins to make the decisision to play or not and almost always it is based on two factors the play ability of the field, and the short and longterm forecast.

In the case of a day with a double header scheduled...Game one must be played in it's entirety before game 2 can be started...unless one of the teams forfiet game 1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox : No! It's not a forfeit. If it can't be rescheduled, it one less game played. In '72 the Sox lost the pennant by 1/2 game for that reason.  
    Posted by soxdawg08

You can't compare it with 1972. That season had fewer games because of the strike. When the season started, it was decided to play out the season as it was w/o rescheduling any games. The Sox at that point had one fewer game on their schedule, and it proved costly.

As others posted, if the Sox ended a half game behind the Yankees because of playing one fewer game, the game would be made up because it would affect the standings. Because the Sox win the tiebreaker with the Yankees, it wouldn't be made up the Sox were a half game ahead because even if the Sox lost and ended up in a tie, the Sox would be Division champs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox : They do have a rule, and a procedure...basically it's the home teams responsibility to call the game before it begins and once the game begins it;s the crew chief responsibilty to make the decisision to play or not and almost lways it is based on two factors the play ability of the field and the short and longterm forecast. In the case of a day with a double header scheduled game one must be played in it;s entirety before game 2 can be started...
    Posted by Beantowne

That being the case , it might be best to call it a day and go home.  There is only a small chance that Game 2 would need to be made up, as I stated above.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

listened to me and Red Sox would played 2 on Friday and one official rain shortened win today. Split last night, win today. Fools.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Red Sox should try to get both games in today. The 5pm start isn't going to happen when there are still 2 innings left in Game 1 and it's 4:20pm. But both teams could wait around until 3 in the morning, if need be. We only need 7 more innings (2 innings for Game 1, 5 innings to make Game 2 official). Hopefully the rain will periodically let up enough within the next 10 hours or so to get in those 7 innings.

Financially, the Red Sox stand to lose a lot if they can't play 5 innings for Game 2. They'd have to refund the cost of 30,000+ tickets, which probably adds up to a couple million dollars. There's no way this game gets made up at the end of the regular season, except in the unlikely event that it would determine playoff qualification. Even though fewer than 3,000 will probably show up for Game 2, everyone theoretically could have gone to the game, which would mean no refunds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Good Afternon folks..how's everyone?...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Game resuming at 5:35

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The Red Sox should try to get both games in today. The 5pm start isn't going to happen when there are still 2 innings left in Game 1 and it's 4:20pm. But both teams could wait around until 3 in the morning, if need be. We only need 7 more innings (2 innings for Game 1, 5 innings to make Game 2 official). Hopefully the rain will periodically let up enough within the next 10 hours or so to get in those 7 innings. Financially, the Red Sox stand to lose a lot if they can't play 5 innings for Game 2. They'd have to refund the cost of 30,000+ tickets, which probably adds up to a couple million dollars. There's no way this game gets made up at the end of the regular season, except in the unlikely event that it would determine playoff qualification. Even though fewer than 3,000 will probably show up for Game 2, everyone theoretically could have gone to the game, which would mean no refunds.
    Posted by davidap

they are going to resume game 1 at 5:35. the fans with tickets for game 2, which was scheduled for 5:00, can go into the park and watch the conclusion of game 1, then remain for game two.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian1976. Show Brian1976's posts

Why wouldnt they just make it a final and start game 2 when possible.   I guess that would make quite a few people mad, but we're talking about a short window of opportunity to play ball..  Enlighten me if you know any rainout rules that Im not aware of here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox : they are going to resume game 1 at 5:35. the fans with tickets for game 2, which was scheduled for 5:00, can go into the park and watch the conclusion of game 1, then remain for game two.
    Posted by J-BAY

This is absurd. This game should have been called a long time ago. We should be well into game 2 by now. I've never seen the like of it. I just hope Tito doesn't give away game two, we need it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

There is a window here, we might be able to get at least half of game two in-if we can get there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox : This is absurd. This game should have been called a long time ago. We should be well into game 2 by now. I've never seen the like of it. I just hope Tito doesn't give away game two, we need it.
    Posted by TheExaminer

was listening to WEEI sox talk during the last delay....the two teams and the umpires have to all conquer, then consult MLB for approval. its been on and off in CT all day, but it didnt rain as hard or as long as it has in Boston. if they can finish the first game, maybe can concede the second game after 5 innings if they have to.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

There is a window here, we might be able to get at least half of game two in-if we can get there.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Exam, you're the Willard Scott of the game threadsTongue out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox : was listening to WEEI sox talk during the last delay....the two teams and the umpires have all conquer, then consult MLB for approval. its been on and off in CT all day, but it didnt rain as hard or as long as it has in Boston. if they can finish the first game, maybe can concede the second game after 5 innings if they have to.
    Posted by J-BAY

Yip. That's why I'm hoping the Sox can grab an early lead if we get to game two. The window between the rain bands is there, it could be done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday Game 1:Athletics at Red Sox : Exam, you're the willard scott of the game threads
    Posted by J-BAY

LOL..I have a lot more hair, and an ipod with a weather channel ap....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Don't you love it when the crowd is this sparse? You can hear individual fans. "Hey Sweeny, it's not all about you. Give Sizemore a chance." Good one.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Don't you love it when the crowd is this sparse? You can hear individual fans. "Hey Sweeny, it's not all about you. Give Sizemore a chance." Good one.
    Posted by TheExaminer

hear more than you need to at times, too much indulgence, which i'm guessing is the case today with two rain delays

Sections
Shortcuts