Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix

In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : Morning Jim. took a perfect throw by ichiro, but down 5, needed to try it. in the end, it was the right call, but to be overturned by the first base umpire, 90 feet away, over the home plate who was a foot? who had the best vantage point of the play?  Francona had every right to be upset.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

First the umpires are criticized when they don't confer, then they are criticized when they do; the fact of the matter is, those conferring umpires are usually not on top of the play; managers are often upset when a call gets overturned, and, given he likely knew it was the right call, IMO his beef was mostly posturing in an attempt to get it overturned again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : I take Remy's opinion with a grain of salt....him announcing is kind of like having Rizzuto announcing....I'd expect Remy to raise the reasonable doubt on the call.  Rizzuto was often the same way, I miss having him as the announcer though.  I grew up with Rizzuto as the announcer and I loved the "huckleberrys" as well as his obvious Yankee bias.....he makes Michael Kay and the YES crew look like Met fans.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]

No, Remy thought he dropped it when the play was made, not after. When the replay was shown, he changed his mind, he agreed it wasn't

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : No, Remy thought he dropped it when the play was made, not after. When the replay was shown, he changed his mind.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Oh ok gotchya

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

that was quick....Yanks/Rays washed out....though i had no doubt...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]that was quick....Yanks/Rays washed out....though i had no doubt...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

I'll take it!  I don't have to suffer through a Burnett start today and the worst that can happen is the boys drop to 1.5 back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : I'll take it!  I don't have to suffer through a Burnett start today and the worst that can happen is the boys drop to 1.5 back.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]hey Mikey!....i admit i did think about that fact AJ was going,everyone now moves up...though i can't help but think he might have had a good one in him today..Tongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : First the umpires are criticized when they don't confer, then they are criticized when they do; the fact of the matter is, those conferring umpires are usually not on top of the play; managers are often upset when a call gets overturned, and, given he likely knew it was the right call, IMO his beef was mostly posturing in an attempt to get it overturned again.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I doubt Francona was criticizing the umpires conferring, more it was the homeplate umpires call, who clearly had the best vantage point. In the end, it was the right call. if it wasn't, it may have cost the sox the game, which is why i would welcome instant replay on questionable plays at home plate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : I'll take it!  I don't have to suffer through a Burnett start today and the worst that can happen is the boys drop to 1.5 back.

What does that say about AJ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-The-Babe-(. Show )-The-Babe-('s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : Is there a link to see the play?  I haven't seen it, I heard that it was fairly clear that he was out also but until I see it I cannot pass judgement.  If it was clear that he was out and  Francona came out with the intent of firing up his team, I see no problem with that though.  Francona does have every right to do that.

I agree about doing it to fire up his team, but jbay's claim was that he had a right to be upset. He didn't as the runner was clearly out. Just because the 1B umpire made the right call instead of the home plate umpire making the incorrect call doesn't change that. Just jbay whining IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Mikey, you can see the play on the red sox official site, under headlines call at the plate ends in reversal. BYW, it was Orsillo who called the dropped ball, not Remy...too many late nights. it was a nice play by Bard

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ))THE-BABE((. Show ))THE-BABE(('s posts

[QUOTE]Why would Babe (Yankee fan) stay up until 1 a.m. to watch a Red Sox game. Could it be that he is acually a Red Sox fan who enjoys being a troll?

Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Ever hear of espn? It's this channel devoted to sports and they typically show the highlights the next day. You should check into it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]Mikey, you can see the play on the red sox official site, under headlines call at the plate ends in reversal
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Well he was pretty clearly out, the 1st base umpire did the homeplate umpire a favor because he clearly blew the call from the get go as the ball never touched the ground or rolled or anything.  The thing that I find more interesting is that Ichiro threw a freaking lazer to home plate to get a guy with Ellsbury's speed.  If you see on the replay Ichiro even misjudged the trajectory of the ball so he wasn't really moving toward home when he caught it, he had to move laterally to catch it and then just threw a bullet home.  I'd still take that guy on my team any day, he is a sick athlete. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : Well he was pretty clearly out, the 1st base umpire did the homeplate umpire a favor because he clearly blew the call from the get go as the ball never touched the ground or rolled or anything.  The thing that I find more interesting is that Ichiro threw a freaking lazer to home plate to get a guy with Ellsbury's speed.  If you see on the replay Ichiro even misjudged the trajectory of the ball so he wasn't really moving toward home when he caught it, he had to move laterally to catch it and then just threw a bullet home.  I'd still take that guy on my team any day, he is a sick athlete. 

And still throws seeds at his age.

Sections
Shortcuts