Saturday's Game Thread:Cubs at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Re: Saturday's Game Thread:Cubs at Red Sox

Well, it was a nice run. Just have to start another streak tomorrow. Given how April went, I'm happy that we are as close as we are at this point.

Hopefully, Bard is not hurt. He's only pitched twice (W & TH) since last weekend so his absence tonight shouldn't be the result of being overworked. Being hurt is the only logical explanation that I can come up with as to why he wasn't in there to protect the lead in the eight (even with being shaky recently). That is his role. Will be an interesting post-game.   

You certainly can't win them all but that doesn't mean that you should give games away (which is exactly what this one felt like).

Get 'em tomorrow. Keep winning series and the rest will take care of itself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Well, things have been going so well lately that I guess we were due for a clunker. That 8th inning is going to the Hall of Fame of bad baseball , if there was such a thing. Albers absolutely choked. Three errors committed. Manager asleep at the switch. As for Morales, remember we got him for a player to be named or cash. That should tell you something about him.  Still have to wonder if something is wrong with Bard. Atchison pitched three last night, so he was not available. I guess the plan was for Albers in the 8th and Paps in the 9th.  Things just completely fell apart. One of the worst innings in a while.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday's Game Thread:Cubs at Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]this is the most pathetic sh*t i have ever seen. anyone who defends francona has no leg to stand on after this sh*t. He lost a game which we should have won. no excuse. albers did not have it. he was left in way way way too long. and the fact that no one was warming up during his implosion makes it even worse. we could still be in this game if albers was pulled earlier on. what drives me crazy more than anything is that francona pulls the same sh*t every time. He always leaves a pitcher in until we are losing and then he pulls him once the game is out of hand. its so predictable. And above all else why the f**k is albers in pitching in the 8th inning in a 2 run game? he was doing good in his 6/7th inning role and now francona decides to bring him in in the 8th? what happened to bard? this game was a perfect example of how terrible francona is at managing games. wheeler taken out too early, hill taken out too early, aceves taken out too early, albers left in too long. We should have won this game but i bet francona says after the game that he left albers in because he did not want to wear out the bullpen and that he wanted to save bard for tomorrow with wake on the mound. because by francona logic p*ssing away the win tonight just so we can have one extra guy in the pen tomorrow makes sense. I cannot wait till the sox fire francona. I am starting to think that we should have kept farrel and let coma go cuz he was clearly the only brains in the dugout. thankfully matt garza has been scratched for tomorrow so maybe we will have a shot at winning tomorrow though i wouldnt count on it with wakefield on the mound.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

This was Aceves's first start of the year, which probably explains why he was taken out early.  Wheeler just came off the 15-day disabled list, which may explain why he did not go longer.  Did you not know these things? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]Well, things have been going so well lately that I guess we were due for a clunker. That 8th inning is going to the Hall of Fame of bad baseball , if there was such a thing. Albers absolutely choked. Three errors committed. Manager asleep at the switch. As for Morales, remember we got him for a player to be named or cash. That should tell you something about him.  Still have to wonder if something is wrong with Bard. Atchison pitched three last night, so he was not available. I guess the plan was for Albers in the 8th and Paps in the 9th.  Things just completely fell apart. One of the worst innings in a while.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

sometimes you have to bring in your best pitcher when the game is on the line but that would be to much thinking for Tito. Why paplebon was not up after the first two hits is way beyond my feable thinking !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]When you have leads late, you don't start planning for the pen lineup tomorrow. You use all available hands, keep a replacement warming up, and then worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Remember, Wakefield could just stay out there and throw batting practice all day tomorrow.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

If you do this, you will burn out your bullpen.  This is one reason why you are not a big league manager. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LondonRedSox. Show LondonRedSox's posts

Surprised

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday's Game Thread:Cubs at Red Sox : sometimes you have to bring in your best pitcher when the game is on the line but that would be to much thinking for Tito. Why paplebon was not up after the first two hits is way beyond my feable thinking !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

Maybe he thought Papelbon had pitched a lot recently; maybe Papelbon was sick.  There's a reason why smart people are paying Francona $4 million a year to manage the Red Sox while you are getting paid nothing to snipe at him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Tonight's fiasco is on Tito's hands. How on earth, in tight game, does he not jerk Albers after the first 2 got on? Where were Bard or Paps? I've never commented on his managing, good or bad, but there's no excuse for his big time screw up tonight. He gave the Cubs a gift!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Despite Saturday's loss, the chances of the Red Sox advancing to the postseason increased from 32.3 percent to 32.5 percent, according to this source:

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Does Drew ever get a hit with RISP?
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE] last game...!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFutureNow. Show TheFutureNow's posts

The only explanation for such an inning is that Francona thought that it was the 6 th inning. No sense bringing Paps or Bard in then .

:-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Tonight's fiasco is on Tito's hands. How on earth, in tight game, does he not jerk Albers after the first 2 got on? Where were Bard or Paps? I've never commented on his managing, good or bad, but there's no excuse for his big time screw up tonight. He gave the Cubs a gift!
    Posted by soxdawg08[/QUOTE]

Yank Albers after two batters get on. Ridiculous. In case you haven't been paying attention, Albers had a 1.56 ERA heading into the game. He's been more dependable than Bard has been.

Some times a reliever, not matter how dependable, just doesn't have it. Albers just didn't get the job done. 

You people who want managers to manage every game like it's the seventh game of the World Series make me laugh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday's Game Thread:Cubs at Red Sox : Yank Albers after two batters get on. Ridiculous. In case you haven't been paying attention, Albers had a 1.56 ERA heading into the game. He's been more dependable than Bard has been. Some times a reliever, not matter how dependable, just doesn't have it. Albers just didn't get the job done.  You people who want managers to manage every game like it's the seventh game of the World Series make me laugh.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    Yeah. And people who refuse to see the obvious and try to defend managerial blunders , make me laugh as well. As for Albers just not getting the job done; six runs without recording an out? Yeah, I would say that is not getting the job done, all right.