SB's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

SB's

Ridiculous amount, especially when they start taking third.  No respect at all for Teks arm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

Re: SB's

They weren't stealing off of Tek. They were stealing off of Beckett. And from the look of it, Becket seemed like he could care less. The guy doesn't have a slide step to the plate, and the whole league knows it.

Unfortunately, holding runners on is not one of our better attributes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

What's your view on the many statistical analyses on the value of SB?

1) Though the alleged value of SB is long since discredited, it still worries you;
    2) Other.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

Unfortunately, holding runners on is not one of our better attributes.

It certainly is not. I've never been able to figure out why our pitchers struggle so much with holding runners.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

In Response to Re: SB's:
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately, holding runners on is not one of our better attributes. It certainly is not. I've never been able to figure out why our pitchers struggle so much with holding runners.
    Posted by RonSwanson[/QUOTE]

Lester is the only one who doesn't have a high leg kick with runners on. Of course Wake's knuckle ball takes a day and a half to get to the plate. More importantly though, is the problem with the starting pitching not getting to the seventh inning of most games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Unfortunately, holding runners on is not one of our better attributes. It certainly is not. I've never been able to figure out why our pitchers struggle so much with holding runners.
    Posted by RonSwanson[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that the Sox' strategy is to have their pitchers focus on the batter rather than the baserunner(s)....willing to give up a few extra SBs in exchange for more outs from batters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have akways thought it was a good idea to worry more about the batter than the steal of 2B, but if a team thinks it can steal 3b on you consistently...it is a big problem....especially with one out like the Rays did tonight.Yes, they stole on Beckett mostly, but a steal of 3b always is on the cathcer also IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Calling Tek with an arm at all is being generous. Tek is washed up in fielding the position. In the post season, construction cracks are usually exposed in the critical one game tipping point compressed situation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Why tinker with Beckett's success.  Obviously it bothers the posters and writers much more than the players.  Bottom line - in Beckett you have a pitcher that can't and doesn't hold runners close and a catcher that couldn't throw out a baserunner with a 10 second head start with the throw half the time.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

There should be a middle ground.  You can't allow guys to run at will, but before passing judgement, you need to assess the real cost.  I don't see anyone in here saying the marginal SB% needs to be 'x' to be effective, our CS is 'y", so the marginal amount of SBs we give up is 'z'.

Inevitably, it winds up being something like we give up an additional free base (net of CS) once every 10 games or something.

We've caught 44 and allowed 138
    The league on average has caught ~ 41 and allowed ~ 106

Assuming that 67% of the marginal rate, then our 3 extra CS takes away 9 extra SBs.

That nets out to an extra 23 free bases.  One in every 6.5 games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]Why tinker with Beckett's success.  Obviously it bothers the posters and writers much more than the players.  Bottom line - in Beckett you have a pitcher that can't and doesn't hold runners close and a catcher that couldn't throw out a baserunner with a 10 second head start with the throw half the time.   
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Obviously it bothers the posters and writers much more than the players.

I don't know traven

but I admit it bothers me

it just seems like  more of the  defensive indifference mindset

and that bothers me more

Bottom line - in Beckett you have a pitcher that can't and doesn't hold runners close and a catcher that couldn't throw out a baserunner with a 10 second head start with the throw half the time.                        

point taken

but IMO there is nothing wrong with trying to improve

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SB's : the alleged value of SB is long since discredited really ? Red Sox not concerned about stolen bases 12:11 AM Sat, Sep 17, 2011 | Permalink Tim Britton Email BOSTON -- Josh Beckett looked an awful lot like Josh Beckett on Friday night, and for the most part, that was a very good thing for the Red Sox. Except for the matter of holding runners. Beckett and the Red Sox allowed seven stolen bases on Friday -- the most they had yielded all season. It topped the total from, well, Beckett's last start, when the Blue Jays swiped five. Beckett himself wasn't too concerned about it. "I think at some point in time, you've got to stop caring. Just let them do what they're going to do," he said. "I'm worried about making a pitch and getting somebody out. They ended up with five or six steals off me. It is what it is. Nothing I can control." Beckett did his best to control the Rays' running game by holding the ball for a long time between pitches and making ample tosses over to first -- 10 in all. But in all but one at-bat in which he threw over to first, Tampa Bay stole anyway. The right-hander wasn't giving his catcher much of a chance. Jason Varitek hasn't thrown a runner out at second base in the last 27 attempts against him (he did pick off Jose Bautista at first in that time). "They're good baserunners, they're good hitters," manager Terry Francona said. "When he lifts his leg, they're going to run. Sometimes you have to sacrifice. We'd rather them steal a base than hit a homer." Beckett's best defense on Friday was simply to get the batter at the plate. Anytime a base was stolen against him, Beckett went on to retire the hitter at the plate. Red Sox not concerned about stolen bases kinda of dishonest silly coming from them
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE] he was out!!!....Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

[QUOTE]What's your view on the many statistical analyses on the value of SB? 1) Though the alleged value of SB is long since discredited, it still worries you; 2) Other.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...long since discredited?

9th inning of Game 4 of the 2004 American League Championship Series?

The inning- opening base on balls to Kevin Millar. Pinch runner Roberts trotting to the bag. The throws over from Mariano Rivera. The takeoff on the first pitch to Bill Mueller. The head-first slide. The Jorge Posada throw just inches to the shortstop side of the bag. The artful swipe tag by Derek Jeter. And, most important, the "safe" sign executed by umpire Joe West.

Three people were involved in the manufacture of the run that saved the Red Sox' season and set the forces in motion for the greatest postseason comeback march in American sports history. Millar had to draw that walk from Rivera, Roberts had to steal that base. And Mueller had to bring him home with a single to center. But it is Roberts, the journeyman outfielder, whose star shines a bit brighter in the storytelling than the other two. For, in theory, any position player on the roster could have done what Millar and Mueller did. But no one else on the roster could have done what Roberts did, and everyone knows it.

Let's say...despite Earl Weaver's conventional wisdom about stolen bases...stealing bases is as much art as science and is situational unqiue to the runner, pitcher, batter, score etc.

Awfully glad someone though of letting Dave Roberts steal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

he was out!!!!.....YellTongue out

Sections
Shortcuts