Schilling on M&M: Lester comments 'sad'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

Re: Schilling on M&M: Lester comments 'sad'

Lester gets some points for admitting the mistake. However, I agree with other posters, Man up and don't blame Francona, alone, you screwed up. You let your team and the fan base down by not being a team player.
     Francona did an excellent job over the years, who else has two world championships as Sox Skipper? That said, it appears he lost control this year and perhaps it is time for him to leave the pressure cooker called Fenway. The blame begins with the players, the manager and all who had a leadership role in the organization.
    I wonder if the Sox will ban the coolers with wheels next Spring Training? I know they can hold ice and lots of ice cold beer.  Is there take out/order out  chicken near the Spring Training complex?
    Been a Sox fan since 1966 and this is the most disgusted I have been by a Sox teams  overall behavior.
    The most highly paid bunch, wilted and it was much more than they just played bad, a lot of them GAVE UP, PERIOD, END OF STORY. I am still a fan, there has been a lot to cheer and jeer about over the past 45 years, but, next year..... I am looking at this club with a whole lot of skepticism.  I don't consider it today to be a group of professional athletes, I look and see..............well let's see how they break Spring Camp, or will it be Spring Break?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

It sounds like Lester is still in denile about following Becket.
    But this much is true, he became "a big-azz man". Not the shape they were hoping for in September.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

They fired Tito because they couldn't fire the entire team...but that team flat out quit in September.  I am missing how any Sox fan can really think that the team should be exonerated for their poor performance.  What is readily apparent is that the Sox don't have the kind of team that the second highest salary in MLB should be putting on the field...and of course it is the manager's fault that he didn't provide the guidance and discipline that those youngsters needed...maybe Tito should be blamed for buying the fried chicken and beer too. 

I am not a fan of Schilling - but he has been there and done that...so he does have some knowledge and is not exactly shooting from the hip...at least not on this issue.  Grown men do not need babysitters.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Some guys did not quit:

Pedey, Scut, Jake, Paps, Ortiz

Youk gets a past b/c he was legitimately hurt

But the rest of the team is suspect

Lester has laid nothing but eggs for years now when we need him most

Francona has never had a sense of urgency and even Jim Ed called Spring Training a Country Club Resort

Epstein made his Waterloo mistake with Carl Crawful and he refused to improve the pitching staff in any significant way although he had several options to do so

Add it up and you have your huge collapse

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Schilling on M&M: Lester comments 'sad':
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Schilling on M&M: Lester comments 'sad' : Jete:  I usually respect your opinions, but why should he take a step back?  A bunch of folks seem to dislike Schilling because he speaks his mind.  These same folks don't have a problem coming here and doing the same thing.  He's a border line HOF'er, he knows the game, he played a long time on several teams, he had an "interesting" beginning to his career when he did maximize his talents - I mean, the guy is asked his opinion like everyone on this type of site, he gives it, and folks slam him.  I don't get it.  Just because folks don't agree with what he has to say means he doesn't have the right to say it?
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]gr82bme, i hear you on that...i just mean it in the sense that given his proximity, his standing among RSN, and for how he performed as a Sox player, he's a well that people will most likely continue to tap, and knowing Schill..you know more times than not it'll be unfiltered..i respect that about him..but just wonder if it may rub the current Sox players the wrong way if they have to hear or read his comments daily...obviously on the surface it's not Schill's fault..i fully recognize it's an outspoken, for the most part honest guy answering pointedly asked  questions...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Big Schil backs everything up and respects the game.   He's easily one of the biggest heros to ever put on the Sox uni......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I cannot understand why some Sox fans will defend their personal favorites , even when it is not deserved , but then they are quick to kill a true Red Sox hero like Curt Schilling. Do we have a double standard for loyalty?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The below comments from Lester tell me all I need to know about the guy.  He's trying to right a wrong, and I think he understands what needs to happen next. 

“I’m not making excuses for what we did. I’m owning up to what I did. But I can honestly tell you that I was prepared every five days -- and so were the other guys -- to go out and perform. We were physically prepared to perform. But I stunk, plain and simple. I’m not going to shy away from that. I stunk.

“When all is said and done, none of this was Tito’s fault, or Theo (Epstein)’s fault, or the fault of Larry Lucchino or John Henry or Tom Werner. It was not the trainer, Mike Reinold, or (assistant trainers) Greg Barajas or Masai (Takahashi) or (strength coach) Dave Page.

“It was not their fault. It was our fault. That’s the message I’m trying to get across. It’s not about beers, it’s not about Tito, it’s not whether there were no rules, it’s not anything. It’s performance. And we didn’t do it.’’

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Granite2000. Show Granite2000's posts

In Response to Re: Schilling on M&M: Lester comments 'sad':
    [QUOTE]Too many people on here just can't stand to hear anything negative. Even a Sox hero like Schilling gets criticized for stating his opinion , if it is not what you want to hear. Okay , let's pretend that the great collapse never happened. Sox just played poorly in September, that's why they lost. Just one of those things. It was everyone's fault , therefore it was no one's fault. Just part of baseball. Sox pitchers were in great shape down the stretch, they just didn't get the job done. Had nothing to do with their drinking or lack of conditioning. Yeah , right.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Very well said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Statistically speaking, it is nearly impossible for 80% of the team to play great ball for 3-4 months and then all of a sudden, like a light-switch, turn into the Bad News Bears.  Something significant had to have happened.  I have a theory that Francona tried something new (like uh, discipline) and it didn't go over well with most of the guys and they just rejected him.  But it's just a theory albeit based on what we know now.

Maybe the beer and whatever else they were doing had nothing to do with it.  But what is see w/ Lester is a pitcher who has a lot of growing up to do and when things don't go well for him on the mound, it's everybody's fault but his.  I've been waiting for Jon to grow up for a few years now and now it appears as though he's regressed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Many other MLB teams have gone through a one month slump in recent years with a W-L record similar to what Boston did. Look it up. The difference here is that the local media loves to speculate and invent juicy stories that the intense, rabid fanbase is thirsty to hear and gobble up. I wasn't aware that you were the team psychologist. Aren't you supposed to keep Lester's file confidential?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Uh huh.....show me how many teams went from playing:

Over 600 Ball for over 80% of the season to 250 ball for the last 20% of the season (without incurring any injuries that weren't already in existence well before the final 20%)

If you thought Joe Torre's book was juicy just wait until Francona's comes out.

This was not mere randomness or just how the ball bounces

Something very wrong went inside that clubhouse we just don't know exactly what it was - YET