Schilling sends a letter to Red Sox Nation. Your reaction?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Schilling sends a letter to Red Sox Nation. Your reaction?

Gag.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Schilling sends a letter to Red Sox Nation. Your reaction?:
    [QUOTE]Gag.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

You have a name like that, and 'gag' at the letter?

That makes NO sense.

If some of these pitchers had half the heart and desire to compete and dominate that Shilling displayed his whole career, this would be a very different Sox team.

He handled it with class, and at no point mentioned the late arriving invitiation, or the smear job on his friend Francona. If people in management had half the class....oh, nevermind.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I've learned that people find the time and the ability to do the things they really want to do.  Obviously winning in '04 didn't mean as much to him as it did to us.  Maybe that's because he'd "Been There, Done That" with Arizona so it just wasn't as special to him.  If it were he'd walk over hot coals to be a part of the celebration, but as it is he's too busy. 

I think it points to how egocentric he is, failing to realize how important it would be to RSN to have him there but his egocentricity never was a secret.  He is what he is but I don't think that's an attribute that exclusive to him.  I believe most professional athletes have an "It's all about ME" attitude - otherwise they couldn't have gotten where they are.

So, Curt,  I'm disappointed that you're not going to be there, but all the same, thanks for what you did.  Without you there'd be no banner on the stadium for '04.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Too bad. I think it would be good to have him there. Personally , I will always be grateful to Schilling , and every member of that 2004 championship team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

[QUOTE]Too bad. I think it would be good to have him there. Personally , I will always be grateful to Schilling , and every member of that 2004 championship team.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
     Even Abe Alvarez and Earl Snyder?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Schilling sends a letter to Red Sox Nation. Your reaction? :  Even Abe Alvarez and Earl Snyder?
    Posted by NHBALLFAN[/QUOTE]
    Yup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Sounds like an excuse to me.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

So...he's been out of baseball for a few years now. He has started his own business. The invitation arrived a week before the event, and people expect him to just drop everything? If he thought he was so important, he wouldn't have felt the need to make ANY statement. People gag at this, but eat up the garbage PR story about Henry giving away opening day tickets at Fenway. A story that only came to light when Werner told everyone. What a joke.

I guess the players aren't the only ones acting entitled around Boston.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Despite politcally motivated animus from The Peoples Republic, Schilling was The Voice of leadership that ended generations in the Red Sox wilderness years. Arrogance and ignorance and ineptness, in it's essence, is seeking a second term.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Schilling is not real warm and friendly with BV right now, or probably Redsox management. He probably wants to be there but it just isn't the right time. I'm the polar opposite of Schilling politically but I certainly admire the guts and commitment he showed to the "Red sox" and he will have a place in Redsox lore from here on out and deserve our cheers for when he does come back. Let's cut the guy a break. Have we forgotten what he did for us already?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bucky Dent. Show Bucky Dent's posts

[QUOTE]A non-story. Once again much ado about nothing.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

...but free PR for his video game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]So...he's been out of baseball for a few years now. He has started his own business. The invitation arrived a week before the event, and people expect him to just drop everything? If he thought he was so important, he wouldn't have felt the need to make ANY statement. People gag at this, but eat up the garbage PR story about Henry giving away opening day tickets at Fenway. A story that only came to light when Werner told everyone. What a joke. I guess the players aren't the only ones acting entitled around Boston.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I don't blame him for not dropping everything on a mere one week notice. Really, any intern planning this celebration would know to put Schill on the priority invite list. Let me re-phrase Curt's attitude adjusting question from 2004 ST, "Why not Schilling?"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Too bad. I think it would be good to have him there. Personally , I will always be grateful to Schilling , and every member of that 2004 championship team.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I miss Pedro, 2004 Manny and Papi, 2004 Tek...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

My only problem is I don't buy the reason he gave. Given his outspoken nature I would have more respect for him if he had told the truth about why he won't be there. And the idea that there was one week notice of this makes no sense. We've all known about this for some time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

I don't don't mind that Curt will not be there, as long as Lugo shows!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't really have an opinion on the letter itself.  But i do question the competence of the person/team responsible for the invitation process.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]I don't really have an opinion on the letter itself.  But i do question the competence of the person/team responsible for the invitation process.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

True. The timing may have been intentional. I don't think Curt and ownership were always on the same page. Perhaps by sending it late, they knew he would not be able to attend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

The timing of the actual invitation is irrelevant. We all knew a long time ago that the event was taking place on this date and all living players were invited. Schilling would be there if he wanted to be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Schilling sends a letter to Red Sox Nation. Your reaction? : True. The timing may have been intentional. I don't think Curt and ownership were always on the same page. Perhaps by sending it late, they knew he would not be able to attend.
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Entirely possible.  But, Schill is not the only one who has referenced late invites.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Schilling sends a letter to Red Sox Nation. Your reaction? : You have a name like that, and 'gag' at the letter? That makes NO sense. If some of these pitchers had half the heart and desire to compete and dominate that Shilling displayed his whole career, this would be a very different Sox team. He handled it with class, and at no point mentioned the late arriving invitiation, or the smear job on his friend Francona. If people in management had half the class....oh, nevermind.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Actually, he didn't display the class and heart his whole career.  The story goes that early in his career, he was at an event that included Clemens.  He wanted to meet Clemens.  At first Clemens said no, because he felt Schilling was wasting his talent by not working hard enough.  But Clemens changed his mind, met Schilling and told what he thought of him.

And he didn't show a whole lot of class when he signed a 1 year contract with the Sox and didn't throw a single pitch in a game because of an injury that he had gotten the previous season, going the entire off season without getting the proper treatment.

I applaud him for standing up for Tito.  And if he can't make it, that's OK.  But don't use it as an opportunity to promote his business.

Sections
Shortcuts