Scott Feldman to Baltimore from Cubs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Scott Feldman to Baltimore from Cubs

Just showed up on espn. 

Comments? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Scott Feldman to Baltimore from Cubs

BenC---don't wait too long...the O's just solidified their #5 man in the rotation.

If they don't have the confidence in Roberts and Flaherty at second they may be after Jose Altuve from Houston to solidify their infield.

I have a feeling you may have something cooking---it might help to do it sooner than later. Might it be expiring pitching contracts--perhaps a Blockbuster "Bill" that you've been hoping for...

Lester, Middlebrooks, Bailey and a prospect for Hamels or Lee and Young and  Frandsen--would that interest the board.

What else might be worth exploring?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

The marmol heart attack tour makes a stop in L.A. 

ending threads since '07

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

A very good addition for the O's.  

The O's starters have a 4.79 ERA which is third highest in the AL.  

Feldman is 7-6 with a 3.46 ERA in 15 starts for the Cubs this season.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just remember that the Cubs play in a league with no DH.

He had a 4.81 ERA in 8 years with the Rangers (5.09 in 2012).

He is better than what the O's had in the 5 slot, but I don't think he's any better than any of our top 6 (including Aceves).

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

It's all relative, but did the O's overpay? Yes, this could be their big year, but it also seems like they gave up plenty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Nice deal by Balt. Stroup was having a terrible season and Arrieta is so-so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He is better than what the O's had in the 5 slot, but I don't think he's any better than any of our top 6 (including Aceves).

Sox4ever

Scott Feldman has been valued at 9.2 WAR* in 219 MLB games covering 818.2 innings, including seasonal WAR of 1.3, 0.3, 2.4 and 1.1 in 2010, 2011, 2012 and so far in 2013.

The slightly older Alfredo Aceves has been valued at 2.8 WAR in 192 MLB games covering 359.2 innings, including seasonal WAR of a negative 0.1, 1.1, 0.5 and a negative 0.4 in 2010, 2011, 2012 and so far in 2013.

I rather doubt the Orioles would trade the upside of Jake Arrieta for Aceves and the baggage he carries.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]Just remember that the Cubs play in a league with no DH.

Sox4ever

Scott Feldman has been valued at 9.2 WAR* in 219 MLB games covering 818.2 innings, including seasonal WAR of 1.3, 0.3, 2.4 and 1.1 in 2010, 2011, 2012 and so far in 2013.

The slightly older Alfredo Aceves has been valued at 2.8 WAR in 192 MLB games covering 359.2 innings, including seasonal WAR of a negative 0.1, 1.1, 0.5 and a negative 0.4 in 2010, 2011, 2012 and so far in 2013.

I rather doubt the Orioles would trade the upside of Jake Arrieta for Aceves and the baggage he carries.

[/QUOTE]

I never meant to imply that, hill. I just said that I do not see Feldman as being any better than Aceves right now for the Sox. It's close.

Aceves is our 6th starter, while Feldman may end up being the O's #2 or 3 man.

I was trying to answer the posters who think Ben needs to make a deal for a guy like Feldman. If we do trade for a SP, I hope it's not someone only as good as our 5 or 6th starter.

BTW, The WAR for Aceves is mostly as a reliever. We all know how WAR is not friendly to set-up men. Comparing a WAR of a starter vs a WAR of a RP is not really fair.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

....is a desperation move by Balt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Sox4ever

I never meant to imply that, hill. I just said that I do not see Feldman as being any better than Aceves right now for the Sox. It's close.

Aceves is our 6th starter, while Feldman may end up being the O's #2 or 3 man.

I was trying to answer the posters who think Ben needs to make a deal for a guy like Feldman. If we do trade for a SP, I hope it's not someone only as good as our 5 or 6th starter.

BTW, The WAR for Aceves is mostly as a reliever. We all know how WAR is not friendly to set-up men. Comparing a WAR of a starter vs a WAR of a RP is not really fair.

I provided total career innings because the innings disparity between starters and relievers impacts WAR.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

A good deal for Baltimore because they have lost confidence in both Arrieta and Stroop.  Neither guy was going to help them this year and Feldman might.

I see no need for the Red Sox to go after such a guy unless they can give up someone like Mortenson for him.

The Cubs made out well in the deal with Baltimore if they wisely use the international signing spots they got along with Arrieta and Stroop (who may get straightened out by next year). 

The Cubs gave up nothing for Feldman last winter so he now nets them two fairly young (but suspect) pitchers and two spots in the international market that will only cost them dollars.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hwaiting. Show Hwaiting's posts

Super overpay on this, unless it works out really good.  Take the contract, probably not even most, and give A middling to maybe almost high prospect for a guy with a bad AL history.  Balt is going for the PS.  I expect to see a few more sorties by them soon.  All the power to them.  Whether they knock the Sox out by selling off the farm or not, HONESTLY, does not matter to me.  Whatever happens to the Sox, if they don't sell the farm, the future is BRIGHT, and I could really care less about this year (outside of I don't want my sports dead time to start earlier), as long as they keep the future powerhuse developing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Just showed up on espn. 

Comments? 

The Orioles want to win and have a lot of talent offensively, a healthy Brian Roberts makes them that much more dangerous.   hopefully Ben wants to win just as bad and doen't stand pat at the deadline even though the Sox being in first place at this point was probably never a thought

Another quality SP and reliever is needed on this team despite our current record.  Pitching is something you can never have enough of and it certainly wins big games more often than not.

I still like Garza because he's been there and has no fear.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If Buch is healthy it comes down to is Feldman going to be more effective than Doubie, Aceves and Webster? I like Webster getting his feet wet now, and think in the coming months he will be very effective. He is maintaining velo and has a great ratio of swing and misses...just a matter of location/control...which will come with experience and calming of the nerves.

It seems the Cubs are in sell now mode...wonder if Theo and Jed see any value in trying to straighten out Bard for 2014? Does Bard and Morales return Garza for a one half year rental?

I dont see the RS rushing Xander. I also see Middlebrooks as insurance against left side of the IF injury or if Iggy reverts back to form. I also see Middlebrooks as potential insurance against Napoli injury.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

If Buch is healthy it comes down to is Feldman going to be more effective than Doubie, Aceves and Webster? I like Webster getting his feet wet now, and think in the coming months he will be very effective. He is maintaining velo and has a great ratio of swing and misses...just a matter of location/control...which will come with experience and calming of the nerves.

It seems the Cubs are in sell now mode...wonder if Theo and Jed see any value in trying to straighten out Bard for 2014? Does Bard and Morales return Garza for a one half year rental?

I would think that the Cubs could fetch more that the struggling 28-year-old Daniel Bard and the disabled 27-year-old Franklin Morales for established 29-year-old starter Matt Garza.

Garza may be in the final year of contract that pays him $10.25 million this year, but Morales remains under team control only through 2014 working off his 2013 salary of $1.4875 million while Bard remains under team control only through 2015 working off his 2013 salary of $1.8625 million.

The Cubs should find a better return for one of the best starting pitchers in the trade market.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Some good comments.

I agree with moonslav the Sox don't need a Scott Feldman.  A good reliever, probably.  A really good starter, almost certainly too costly.  A good righty bat at 3B?  Maybe the Sox should get that guy Snyder, the one with the clutch double high off the CF wall last night against, wait for it, a lefty starter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]If Buch is healthy it comes down to is Feldman going to be more effective than Doubie, Aceves and Webster? I like Webster getting his feet wet now, and think in the coming months he will be very effective. He is maintaining velo and has a great ratio of swing and misses...just a matter of location/control...which will come with experience and calming of the nerves.

I would think that the Cubs could fetch more that the struggling 28-year-old Daniel Bard and the disabled 27-year-old Franklin Morales for established 29-year-old starter Matt Garza.

Garza may be in the final year of contract that pays him $10.25 million this year, but Morales remains under team control only through 2014 working off his 2013 salary of $1.4875 million while Bard remains under team control only through 2015 working off his 2013 salary of $1.8625 million.

The Cubs should find a better return for one of the best starting pitchers in the trade market.

[/QUOTE]

Garza has a WAR of 11 in the years 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 covering 757 innings and 122 games, with almost half the value coming in most likely an outlier year 2011. He has been injury prone and unreliable. He would also most likely be available as part of a 5 man rotation to pitch 14-16 games before he hits free agency. Bard and Morales offer the Cubs 2 power arms under control for 2 more years allowing the Cubs to see if they can figure either of them out.

If Feldman with a WAR of 9.2 over a similar period returns Arrieta, I would think anything more than Bard and Morales, or a similar scenario, is an over pay

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We can dream and smoke that pipe all we want but the Cubs are going to be asking for guys like:

Barnes

Owens

Webster

You will likely have to give up one of those guys + a lower level pitching prospect like Simon Mercedes or Cody Kukuk.   You (like me) may have a man crush on those prospects but unfortunately that is what the price tag is likely to START with. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

We can dream and smoke that pipe all we want but the Cubs are going to be asking for guys like:

Barnes

Owens

Webster

You will likely have to give up one of those guys + a lower level pitching prospect like Simon Mercedes or Cody Kukuk.   You (like me) may have a man crush on those prospects but unfortunately that is what the price tag is likely to START with. 

the Cubs can ask..but I have a hard time seeing one half year of Garza, who has been injury prone, and quite honestly not all that effective the past couple of years, returning this level of prospect.

Obviously you and Hill disagree with me..it will be interesting to see if a team over pays for Garza...I hope it is not the RS 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Your almost always going to overpay at this time of the year. Its the nature of the beast. For that reason, and a few others, Id pass on Garza. Unless its a TOTR guy, then Id pass. If Buch returns, Lack keeps pitching the way he has and lester can improve enough to pitch like a good #2 or #3, then we should be fine. Feldman isnt even a consideration IMO.

Id concentrate more on the pen. Good thing weve been blessed with very good depth this year, both pitching and position players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If Feldman with a WAR of 9.2 over a similar period returns Arrieta, I would think anything more than Bard and Morales, or a similar scenario, is an over pay.

Matt Garza would be an overpay for two late 20s pitchers who earn three to four times the league minimum to contribute nothing this season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If Feldman with a WAR of 9.2 over a similar period returns Arrieta, I would think anything more than Bard and Morales, or a similar scenario, is an over pay.

Matt Garza would be an overpay for two late 20s pitchers who earn three to four times the league minimum to contribute nothing this season.

I dont think the point was to contribute thisseason. I imagine the Cubs should field better offers though, although I agree that I dont think hes worth a lot to the Sox in terms of prospects.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's no way the Cubs take bard and Morales for Garza. Bard may be a throw-in on an eventual deal, but not even close to a big part of it.

I think it would take at least:

1 of Britton or Workman

2 (maybe 3) of A Wilson, de la Cruz, Hazelbaker, Hassan, Jacobs, Almanzar, or Coyle

Bard

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I'll admit, I was expecting more from Balt. as far as trading for rotation help. If that's all they have planned, winning the east might be easier than i initially thought.  

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

Sections
Shortcuts