Scott Feldman to Baltimore from Cubs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Scott Feldman to Baltimore from Cubs

@ RKARPThere is just no way another team doesn't outbid us for Garza....If that was all it took then every team in the league would outbid us for him.  

@Moon -  I don't even think that does it.  Britton and Workman both very well may end up in the bullpen they wil want a starter back. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

'Bout KCR as a trading partner? Very unbalanced team that's pitching heavy and are only 5 1/2 back. They don't have a position player on their team thats hit 10 HR yet. They need help all over the place, OF, DH, but even take their SS (is batting alright but) his OBP is horrible. 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

There's no way the Cubs take bard and Morales for Garza. Bard may be a throw-in on an eventual deal, but not even close to a big part of it.

I think it would take at least:

1 of Britton or Workman

2 (maybe 3) of A Wilson, de la Cruz, Hazelbaker, Hassan, Jacobs, Almanzar, or Coyle

Bard

Sox4ever

you are only getting Garza for 14-15 games however...wouldnt the return on Garza be similar to the return on Feldman? Hasnt Feldman been the more reliable pitcher over the past 2-3 years? Yes, the upside with Garza is greater, but he is only under control for one half season.

Do Bard and Morales BOTH have more upside than Arrieta?

Repeat, if the Cubs can get more, I will be the first to admit I was wrong, but I hope the Sox dont offer any of the prospects mentioned for Garza...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Do Bard and Morales BOTH have more upside than Arrieta?

I suspect three and a half years of 27-year-old lefthander Jake Arrieta (who posted a WAR of 1.6 in 114.2 innings last year) have more upside than two and a half years of 28-year-old Daniel Bard (who topped out at WAR of 1.6 and 1.7 way back in 2010 and 2011) or one and a half years of 27-year-old lefthander Franklin Morales (who has never posted a WAR of 1.0 or higher).

With their current salaries, would Bard or Morales clear waivers?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

BenC---don't wait too long...the O's just solidified their #5 man in the rotation.

If they don't have the confidence in Roberts and Flaherty at second they may be after Jose Altuve from Houston to solidify their infield.

I have a feeling you may have something cooking---it might help to do it sooner than later. Might it be expiring pitching contracts--perhaps a Blockbuster "Bill" that you've been hoping for...

Lester, Middlebrooks, Bailey and a prospect for Hamels or Lee and Young and  Frandsen--would that interest the board.

What else might be worth exploring?

It might interest the board, but how does that interest the Phillies?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

No interest in Garza unless he's willing to extend.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]In response to hill55's comment:

Just remember that the Cubs play in a league with no DH.

He had a 4.81 ERA in 8 years with the Rangers (5.09 in 2012).

He is better than what the O's had in the 5 slot, but I don't think he's any better than any of our top 6 (including Aceves).

Sox4ever

Scott Feldman has been valued at 9.2 WAR* in 219 MLB games covering 818.2 innings, including seasonal WAR of 1.3, 0.3, 2.4 and 1.1 in 2010, 2011, 2012 and so far in 2013.

The slightly older Alfredo Aceves has been valued at 2.8 WAR in 192 MLB games covering 359.2 innings, including seasonal WAR of a negative 0.1, 1.1, 0.5 and a negative 0.4 in 2010, 2011, 2012 and so far in 2013.

I rather doubt the Orioles would trade the upside of Jake Arrieta for Aceves and the baggage he carries.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

I never meant to imply that, hill. I just said that I do not see Feldman as being any better than Aceves right now for the Sox. It's close.

Aceves is our 6th starter, while Feldman may end up being the O's #2 or 3 man.

I was trying to answer the posters who think Ben needs to make a deal for a guy like Feldman. If we do trade for a SP, I hope it's not someone only as good as our 5 or 6th starter.

BTW, The WAR for Aceves is mostly as a reliever. We all know how WAR is not friendly to set-up men. Comparing a WAR of a starter vs a WAR of a RP is not really fair.

I provided total career innings because the innings disparity between starters and relievers impacts WAR.

[/QUOTE]

WAR for RPs is meaningless.

Aceves has a career 3.70 ERA, 1.204 Whip, 2.13 K/W

As a starter, he has a 6-2 with a 4.29.

Feldman is okay, but I'm fine with AA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So some think the Sox should move Lester (4.61) for Hamels(4..58)?

Age (Hamels is a month older) and contract (and owe much more for much longer) aside, the difference in their ERAs this years amounts to 1 earned run over 300 IP...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

@ RKARPThere is just no way another team doesn't outbid us for Garza....If that was all it took then every team in the league would outbid us for him.  

@Moon -  I don't even think that does it.  Britton and Workman both very well may end up in the bullpen they wil want a starter back. 

My guess is that the bidding starts with a top-50.  Theo won't take any low-end guys.

If you think about, while we don't need him, right now, suppose we find out Buch or Lester are out for the year.  I don't think Barnes would sound too outrageous.

If you were Cleveland, would Bauer seem like too much?