Scuturo is garbage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

Scuturo is garbage

For a year and a half now, I've heard this guy mentioned so many times as "solid." What many call solid, I call mediocre. I don't have any stats handy, but this guy seems pretty weak both in the field and at the dish. Okay... I guess he plays hard and is a "consummate professional", which implies that he wouldn't be missing a huge sign that could possibly win the game for us. Then gets thrown out by a mile at second on the following pitch. Jeter's over the hil, but can you see him doing that?

I don't know if his errors are above or below average, but the guy almost never makes the tough plays. I can't prove that with statistics, but I watch a lot of games and if it's a tough play that could turn into a highlight, better believe he won't make it.

Good thing he has that pathetic offensive line to go with that weak a$s glove. This guy is the definition of mediocrity.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Re: Scuturo is garbage

In Response to Scuturo is garbage:
    [QUOTE]For a year and a half now, I've heard this guy mentioned so many times as "solid." What many call solid, I call mediocre. I don't have any stats handy, but this guy seems pretty weak both in the field and at the dish. Okay... I guess he plays hard and is a "consummate professional", which implies that he wouldn't be missing a huge sign that could possibly win the game for us. Then gets thrown out by a mile at second on the following pitch. Jeter's over the hil, but can you see him doing that? I don't know if his errors are above or below average, but the guy almost never makes the tough plays. I can't prove that with statistics, but I watch a lot of games and if it's a tough play that could turn into a highlight, better believe he won't make it. Good thing he has that pathetic offensive line to go with that weak a$s glove. This guy is the definition of mediocrity.
    Posted by tombirner[/QUOTE]

Scutaro is but one of a number of Theo's bust short stops, Renteria, Lugo, Cabrera , he was great for some reason Theo didn't see any value in Orlando, trading Hanley Ramirez, the touted five tool player, yes I know they got Beckett but that happened while Theo was in the Gorilla suit and Jed Hoyer actually made that deal.

Scutaro isn't that bad, he missed a sign, crap happens, he is a decent player , his range is limited but he has good hands, and he hits .280 which isn't bad. There are a lot of teams who would love to have Scutaro.

Where's iglesias? He the reincarnation of Ozzie Smith. Of that's right he can't hit, or hasn't yet at least. So what do they do next year for Short Stop? Lowrie, he of the professionel DL or Scutaro , my money says they resign Scutaro.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

scutaro is a poor defensive short stop who will cost us a game or 2 in the post season if he is the starter.

forget the outfield, the glaring requirement this trade deadline is at short stop, and infield back up in case youks niggles become more debilitating.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Scuturo is garbage:
    [QUOTE]For a year and a half now, I've heard this guy mentioned so many times as "solid." What many call solid, I call mediocre. I don't have any stats handy, but this guy seems pretty weak both in the field and at the dish. Okay... I guess he plays hard and is a "consummate professional", which implies that he wouldn't be missing a huge sign that could possibly win the game for us. Then gets thrown out by a mile at second on the following pitch. Jeter's over the hil, but can you see him doing that? I don't know if his errors are above or below average, but the guy almost never makes the tough plays. I can't prove that with statistics, but I watch a lot of games and if it's a tough play that could turn into a highlight, better believe he won't make it. Good thing he has that pathetic offensive line to go with that weak a$s glove. This guy is the definition of mediocrity.
    Posted by tombirner[/QUOTE]

Scutaro missed a sign and as a result we may have lost the game.  No telling how the squeeze would have turned out anyway.  These things happen and it certainly isn't the end of the world.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Scuturo is garbage : Scutaro is but one of a number of Theo's bust short stops, Renteria, Lugo, Cabrera , he was great for some reason Theo didn't see any value in Orlando, trading Hanley Ramirez, the touted five tool player, yes I know they got Beckett but that happened while Theo was in the Gorilla suit and Jed Hoyer actually made that deal.   Scutaro isn't that bad, he missed a sign, crap happens, he is a decent player , his range is limited but he has good hands, and he hits .280 which isn't bad. There are a lot of teams who would love to have Scutaro. Where's iglesias? He the reincarnation of Ozzie Smith. Of that's right he can't hit, or hasn't yet at least. So what do they do next year for Short Stop? Lowrie, he of the professionel DL or Scutaro , my money says they resign Scutaro.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

He's hitting .260, not .280. I don't think he hit .280 last year, either, and he has pretty much no power.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

I don't get why everyone thinks he is garbage. We won the world series with Lugo at the position, and Scutaro has both hit better and fielded better than Lugo did that year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

what should you dislike more? the garbage itself, or the guy who collects the garbage? in other words, don't balme the garbage, blame the garbage man.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Scuturo is garbage : Scutaro is but one of a number of Theo's bust short stops

The Scutaro signing is not in the league of "busts" like Lugo.  Scutaro is overpaid just like almost all FAs are 10 to 20%.  His D has slipped some from 2009 as has his career year OBP. 

2010 and 2011:

OPS     Rank
    Scut   .714      14th 
    Jeter   .708      15th

If you can fault Theo it is for going with guys that are too old.  Scutaro has permanent damage to his rotator cuff that has completely stopped his ability to throw anyone out after ranging more than a few steps.  Like Cameron older guys get more injuries.  The double pump nonsense is inexcusable I must say. I saw Jeter fail to get the ball there in time on one of his jump throws the other day it would have been an easy play if he was quicker. It looked flashy though.

Side note:  I was glad they passed on Beltre b/c of his inconsistency and his history of hamstring problems. I would not be surprised if he doesn't provide value over that contract.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

If he missed a sign that implies they have a sign for that play. This is small ball. We don't play small ball, we mash and crush. This is not the first time MS has failed to get a bunt down in a critical situation. How many times have we squeezed for a run this year? As many times as Big Popi has stolen 2B ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Scutaro is a super sub. He is a second basemen tring to play SS fulltime. He was the guy who was supposed to do all the little things and so far hasnt done a damn thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

You can't expect great things from an average ballplayer. Scutaro is not the ideal SS, but he is ok.
    As far as the squeeze is concerned, it should never have gotten to that point.
    The Sox had several opportunities with a man at 3B and less than two out, where they couldn't score.
    There's plenty of blame to go around but Crawford deserves a good part of it. 0for 6 with 4 Ks and 6 LOB, not to mention his failing to hit the cutoff man which would surely have nailed Cabrera at the plate, and preserved a 1-0 victory for Lester.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Scutaro has hit .280 only once in his life.  he is a .265 hitter with no power.  He missed a grounder up the middle last night even though he was shaded up the middle, because he is a step slow.  He missed the sign, and then got thrown out at second trying to make up for it.  And then, the cardinal sin -- or is it the JD special -- he struck out looking to end the game?

I'm not sure Lugo was ever that bad, that I can recall.  Scutaro was absolutely miserable last night.  But the Sox will still win the division with him, and might win a WS with him.  His play alone will not stop them, just as it was not his fault alone last night. 

If Gonzalez doesn't strike out on outside breaking ball pitches 3 times last night.  If Crawford doesn't have one of the all-time worst at-bats in the 9th.  If Papi doesn't get thrown out stealing 2nd.  If Youkilis doesn't get hurt.  If laser show has a good night.  If Francona manages the other situations with runner on 3rd and less than two outs.  If Bogar notices that Scutaro has glazed eyes and hasn't recognized the sign.  If Okajima is on the roster, rather than Williams.  Lots of blame to go around, from our all-star first baseman, right down to the coaches, manager and GM, IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

You can whine about Scutaro blowing the game if you want,but if it wasn't for him,Lester would have lost the game.
       In the top of the second inning with 2 outs and Hosmer on 2nd,Pena hit a ball that Scutaro dove for and kept in the infield.Pena got the hit with Hosmer stopping at 3rd.The next batter,Escobar grounded out for the 3rd out.If that ball hit by Pena gets by Scutaro and into the outfield,rather than having to hold at 3rd,Hosmer scores from 2nd and would make it a 2-1 game.
       I really don't see why people have to blame a loss on a certain player.IMO,they win as a team and they lose as a team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]   You can whine about Scutaro blowing the game if you want,but if it wasn't for him,Lester would have lost the game.    In the top of the second inning with 2 outs and Hosmer on 2nd,Pena hit a ball that Scutaro dove for and kept in the infield.Pena got the hit with Hosmer stopping at 3rd.The next batter,Escobar grounded out for the 3rd out.If that ball hit by Pena gets by Scutaro and into the outfield,rather than having to hold at 3rd,Hosmer scores from 2nd and would make it a 2-1 game.    I really don't see why people have to blame a loss on a certain player.IMO,they win as a team and they lose as a team.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

good point; except, that when a player goes 0-6 w/ 4K's and has pretty much stunk up the place since april, well it's easy to gravitate towards this guy as the main blame.

i know i don't say this enough, but THANK YOU, THEO!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : good point; except, that when a player goes 0-6 w/ 4K's and has pretty much stunk up the place since april, well it's easy to gravitate towards this guy as the main blame. i know i don't say this enough, but THANK YOU, THEO!
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

Yes - as the Boston media are saying this morning:
    Main blame  -- Scutaro and Crawford

However in a 14 inning game decided by one run, if you dig deep enough you can find other scapegoats also. Sh-it happens. At least we didn't lose 12-3. Another game today.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Scutaro is what he is.  this thread is garbage.  Get 'em next time Marco.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Wow - the guy makes a mistake and his garbage.

Anyone catch the run saving play Scutoro made in the first inning?  A truly amazing play.  If he doesn't make that play, the game never gets to OT.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]Scutaro is what he is.  this thread is garbage.  Get 'em next time Marco.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

scutaro, lackey, crawford, drew,lugo, etc are all what they are----pathetic free agent signings by MR. BLUNDER.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : scutaro, lackey, crawford, drew,lugo, etc are all what they are----pathetic free agent signings by MR. BLUNDER.
     Cool Yazzer.  Keep on grinding on all that negativity.  It must be enjoyable to you.  Go get 'em.  I would join you, but I am too busy rooting for the Sox, and for the Sox who are struggling to succeed.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage :  Cool Yazzer.  Keep on grinding on all that negativity.  It must be enjoyable to you.  Go get 'em.  I would join you, but I am too busy rooting for the Sox, and for the Sox who are struggling to succeed.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

actually spaceman, one can root for the SOX and still dislike the GM. it's called dual-tasking. try it sometime.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : actually spaceman, one can root for the SOX and still dislike the GM. it's called dual-tasking. try it sometime.

Fair enough Yazzer. I am not much of a dual-tasker.   But, in the interest of keeping this board from sinking any lower into the murky mire of drivel, do you need to make every single post a blanket attack on Theo?  I can't remember the last time you posted anything that wasn't a simplistic diss of Theo.  Kinda meaningless at some point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I actually like Scutaro....he's a hard nosed player......maybe Iglessias can come in w/ Papelbon in the 9th inning during the post season??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Scutaro was not a "great signing" last year, but he is a serviceable SS and has often made a lot of plays under the radar that people aren't giving him credit for. He's had many hard-luck games at the plate, where he's drilled linedrives but right at people. He probably leads the team in balls hit to the warning track that were caught. Hardly the term "garbage" applies to the AL's Top Team at SS. He had a rough game as did Crawford, but Carl is a guy who just really has no clue about the strikezone. And I see no improvement in his botchery of LF and the Wall. Something that I questioned with in his signing--a little lefty in LF with no arm to go with a little lefty in CF with no arm, not your best combo. Might work on the road games better than at Fenway. Bigger field better for the two speedsters. Still, Crawford's inconsistent hitting is tough to swallow along with an overpriced contract (think Lackey, think Dice-K, think Drew, think CC)...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : actually spaceman, one can root for the SOX and still dislike the GM. it's called dual-tasking. try it sometime.

Dislike of the GM? To what degree? 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, or 100%. You sound like it is 100% and that is illogical. What your agenda is is to create an identity for yourself on the forum by emulating the Law act on Theo or the Softlaw act with Jake. Why not just act reasonable and not attempt to draw attention to yourself by being a clueless buffoon. Law was laughed off the forum finally and here you are trying out his game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : Dislike of the GM? To what degree? 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, or 100%. You sound like it is 100% and that is illogical. What your agenda is is to create an identity for yourself on the forum by emulating the Law act on Theo or the Softlaw act with Jake. Why not just act reasonable and not attempt to draw attention to yourself by being a clueless buffoon. Law was laughed off the forum finally and here you are trying out his game.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're the poster boy for that.

Sections
Shortcuts