Scuturo is garbage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Re: Scuturo is garbage

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a985aa99a-5287-42ba-a8ae-ee2d6e3eeaa8&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:985aa99a-5287-42ba-a8ae-ee2d6e3eeaa8Post:2bbb7988-92ea-4524-8aff-460372d0ff9b">Scuturo is garbage:

He may not be on the short list for potential future hall-of-fame status, but he does contribute with a number of positive, if not spectacular, but less noticed plays. 

For instance, late in the game, maybe in the ninth, Scutaro (he-of-the-weak-throwing-arm) went in the hole at short and made a strong throw to first to nail the runner by a whisker for the third out thus saving a run.

Let him blunder, however, on missing a rarely called sign or being agressive on the base paths, and the vultures start circling.  What about recently, when AGon, on second, runs into a force out on a ground ball to the third baseman.  Where was the outcry?

Of course some plays are more critical than others in that they effect the outcome of a game. But the point not to be overlooked is that each and every player in the course of the season has certain plays of which they would dearly love to have a do-over or mulligan as it were.

That being said, Scutarro's body of work 'is what it is', which ain't half bad, and I for one can certainly envision some other options at shortstop which wouldn't be half as reliable or suitable for this team.

And I can assure everyone, that before the season is over, Scutarro will make some plays in the field and have at-bats that will contribute to a W. And I can additionally assure everyone that he will make some plays that contribute that will also go unnoticed by many fans.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Have I ever said that Cashman is 100% wrong on everything that he has ever done. Why would you compare me to Yazzer who claims that about Theo.  No GM is much better than 60% correct on his decisions and yet Yazzer believes that Theo is 100% wrong. Sounds like an emulation of Law to me. Why do you side with such a lack of logic by Yazzer?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

So many people over-react to things. The guy had a bad game and probably cost us the game , therefore he is garbage. Seems that Sox players are re-evaluated after every game, even after every at bat, sometimes after every pitch. In the end, players will usually perform to their ability.  Marco Scutaro is an average major league ball player, nothing more or less.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage:
    In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : Dislike of the GM? To what degree? 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, or 100%. You sound like it is 100% and that is illogical. What your agenda is is to create an identity for yourself on the forum by emulating the Law act on Theo or the Softlaw act with Jake. Why not just act reasonable and not attempt to draw attention to yourself by being a clueless buffoon. Law was laughed off the forum finally and here you are trying out his game.
    Posted by Your-Echo

down boy, down boy! now go outside and fetch the paper. doggie treat waiting when you get back. that a-boy!

i pretty much dislike BLUNDER about 100%
    about the same as i dislike you, pikester.

my job on this board is to remind SOX fans that dollar for dollar, MR BLUNDER, has been terrible. read my lips: "270+ million for SLACKEY, CRAWFISH, and DREW."
    this board has enough THEO worshippers, so i'm just presenting the opposing view as much as i can.
    kind of like BILL MAHER trying to present the opposite opinion of FOX NEWS.
    BALANCE---plus this board already has PETE(theo boot-licker)ABRAHAM.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

TomBirner said this back in April:

Re: Why can't Lackey face up to the fact that he stinks!

posted at 4/9/2011 1:52 AM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=74ebbc63452816c88bb4fd9b980b647b&plckUserId=74ebbc63452816c88bb4fd9b980b647b">
    First: 5/24/2006
    Last: 7/26/2011
    It really is just odd. Dude gets hammered seemingly EVERY TIME HE TAKES THE MOUND. Seriously... does he EVER give up less then five runs in an outing?? Then he continues to say he pitched pretty well. How about some accountability?

I never liked this signing. At best I thought he'd be a better-than-average pitcher and took the 'hey, it's not my money' approach, but he is truly less-than-average at this point. And he seems kind of obnoxious besides. Reminds me of Schilling without the, you know, PITCHING aspect. Can't believe we're stuck with this guy for what, four more years? I have no hope for him and Beckett. Theo's a smart dude and I am not one of his 'haters,' but I really didn't understand either of these signings, especially Beckett's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

wow, 1 for 10 last night with men in scoring position and all the scoot haters are out in force today. tough loss. here's my .02 cents from last night. jon lester came back and pitched great. a positive. our relievers pitched great as well keeping us close while we had about a half a dozen opportunities to get go ahead runs and didn't get the job done. that's a half positive with a little negitive because of our lack of execution. bard and pap were awesome.

now for a kid who was 1-8 pitching for the royals he did a helluva job. he struck out agon 3 times. this is why I really don't pay close attention to a pitchers win/loss record. for a so called crappy team those royals came out last night and played their azzes off. they deserved to win that game. we had fast guys on first with no outs and we didn't attempt to steal or sac bunt to put people in scoring position. I'm chalking up last night. tonights another game and it's Miller time. anybody see that amazing catch that reddick made in right? I hate to disagree with the OP but I don't think we have anybody on our team that is "garbage".............the garbage I see is some of the stuff I'm reading from some of these so called red sox fans.

also loved listening to the remdog cheerlead for our sox. we'll get em back tonight.
    hammah out!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

He had no hope at all for Beckett. Hates Lackey, Scutaro, and most probably half of the team. Is he a "concern troll" or a "closet Yankee fan"? Doesn't sound like a Sox fan to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

He had no hope at all for Beckett. Hates Lackey, Scutaro, and most probably half of the team. Is he a "concern troll" or a "closet Yankee fan"? Doesn't sound like a Sox fan to me.
    Posted by Your-Echo

please keep us posted columbo, ur, i mean pike.
    it's so intriguing when you identify trolls on this board.
    you are the joe mccarthy of the new millineum.
    now go get yourself a doggy treat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Don't be foolish, most people who post here like to know if the person they are debating is :
    an actual RS fan
    a pretender
    a troll
    a concern troll
    a Yankee fan
    a closet fan

McCarthyism is a far cry from that.
    Many doubt that you are legitimate
    You certainly don't sound like a RS fan to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I said this two years ago when Theo signed this guy, he's a back up ss. He wouldn't even win a job on a cellar dweller as the everyday SS. The only position the sox need to fix for them to assure themselves a spot in the fall classic is SS. They should stop kicking the tires on Reyes and simply ask the Mets what they would need too complete a trade. Hopefully they aren't asking for everything the sox have in their cupboard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

I said this two years ago when Theo signed this guy, he's a back up ss. He wouldn't even win a job on a cellar dweller as the everyday SS. The only position the sox need to fix for them to assure themselves a spot in the fall classic is SS. They should stop kicking the tires on Reyes and simply ask the Mets what they would need too complete a trade. Hopefully they aren't asking for everything the sox have in their cupboard.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

if the SOX can get REYES, i wouldn't mind if the METS took everything that's in the cupboard and they could have the cupboard, too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by sportsbozo1

Do you really believe that Marco Scutaro playing shortstop is what separates the Sox from an assured spot in the World Series?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Don't be foolish, most people who post here like to know if the person they are debating is : an actual RS fan a pretender a troll a concern troll a Yankee fan a closet fan McCarthyism is a far cry from that. Many doubt that you are legitimate You certainly don't sound like a RS fan to me.
    Posted by Your-Echo

yeah, OBAMA and i share that legitamacy thing.
    i take back that joe mccarthy comparison; you're more like michele bachmann.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If Person A calls Person B "garbage" it says more about Person A than about Person B.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

If Person A calls Person B "garbage" it says more about Person A than about Person B.
    Posted by hill55

i agree. calling someone 'garbage' is pretty extreme and somewhat inaccurate.
    i'd prefer to refer to SCUTARO as just another 'THEO BLUNDER.'

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : i agree. calling someone 'garbage' is pretty extreme and somewhat inaccurate. i'd prefer to refer to SCUTARO as just another 'THEO BLUNDER.'
    Posted by the_yazzer

ugh.  again?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : ugh.  again?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

c'mon! it is what it is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : c'mon! it is what it is.
    Posted by the_yazzer

you can say that again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xfiles45. Show xfiles45's posts

Poopero is a marginal sub at best, shouldn't be a starter not here, not anywhere!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Garcia2's boss must be on vacation. When the cat is away the mice will play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Yazzer is Law

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage : down boy, down boy! now go outside and fetch the paper. doggie treat waiting when you get back. that a-boy! i pretty much dislike BLUNDER about 100% about the same as i dislike you, pikester. my job on this board is to remind SOX fans that dollar for dollar, MR BLUNDER, has been terrible. read my lips: "270+ million for SLACKEY, CRAWFISH, and DREW." this board has enough THEO worshippers, so i'm just presenting the opposing view as much as i can. kind of like BILL MAHER trying to present the opposite opinion of FOX NEWS. BALANCE---plus this board already has PETE(theo boot-licker)ABRAHAM.
    Posted by the_yazzer

yeah dude...but Bill Maher is funny.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Scutaro ranks 15th among major league shortstops in OBP. He's average.
    Scutaro ranks 16th among major league shortstops in OPS. He's average.
    Scutaro ranks 13th among major league shortstops in HRs. He's average.
    Scutaro ranks 15th among major league shortstops in SLG. He's average.

Defensively, he is actually better than most, in key metrics:

Scutaro ranks 11th among major league shortstops in fielding %.
    Scutaro ranks 29th among major league shortops in errors.

Verdict: He's solid, even on a team like the Red Sox where fans expect everyone to be an All-Star.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This thread is garbage.

How is Scutaro a bust or a blunder? He wasn't signed to be an All-Star. He wasn't signed to be a long-term solution at SS. He was signed to be a decent stop-gap SS who plays hard, will make the occasional play and won't kill you offensively.

He's been exactly that. He's been consistent at the plate. Throughout his career he's been around a .26something and .690-.720 OPS with a couple of spike-sesons that were a bit better. The last couple of years, including this year, he's shown low double-digit power (his 5 HRs in 210 AB this year is a pace of 12-14 for 500-plus ABs).

And for all the handwringing about his arm, it has rarely hurt. He had that bad inning at the beginning of last week (I think it was) but he's made some excellent plays since then. He saved a run early last night by knocking down that ball hit in the hole and not even Ozzie Smith would have been able to throw out the batter.

His fielding percentage as a SS with the Sox was .966 last year and is .977 this year. Now I know fielding percentage by itself isn't a great evaluator of defensive prowess, but it's a start. By comparison, since so many like to drool over Cabrera, Cabrera's fielding percentage in his two months with Boston was .966. and while he hit decent with Boston in those two months (.294 BA, .785 OPS), since leaving Boston, he has a .277 BA and a .699 OPS and hasn't hit double figures in homers.

A lot of fans love Cabrera because he was part of the 2004 team, and that's fair enough. But what he did since leaving is barely an upgrade over what Scutaro has given.

For all the compaints about Scutaro's arm, it has rarely cost the Sox and I've seen him make some nice throws on double plays or from the hole. His range isn't great -- about average -- but I've seen him make some nice stops up the middle or in the hole.

Not every player has to be an All-Star to contribute. For the way Scutaro has played -- he had a lot of big hits last year -- and his willingness to play hurt, he should be the type of player fans always root for. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Scuturo is garbage :   Do you really believe that Marco Scutaro playing shortstop is what separates the Sox from an assured spot in the World Series?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Scut could very well make the difference in the world series.
    He seems to find different ways to screw up in critical situations.

Sections
Shortcuts