Seadogs leaders after 11 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Seadogs leaders after 11 games

Pitching:

Brandon Workman

GS: 3  ERA: 3.00  IP: 18  H: 10  ER: 6  K: 25  BB: 2  WHIP: 0.67

Anthony Ranaudo

GS: 2  ERA: 0.90  IP: 10  H: 5  ER: 1  K: 12  B: 2  WHIP: 0.70

Brandon Workman is the #14 prospect in the Sox farm system and is the #7 as far as pitchers go.The 24 yr old has shown good poise on the mound and should get to see Fenway sometime this year or in 2014.

Anthony Ranaudo is the #13 prospect and #6 on the pitchers list of rankings. He should be higher on the list but because of a nagging groin injury which he was dealing with throughout 2012, his stock dropped. Ranaudo is off to a hot start in 2013 and should see his name rise back to near the top of the depth chart.

Hitting:

Michael Almanzar

G: 11  AB: 45  H: 14  R: 7  2b: 3  HR: 3  RBI: 8  TB: 25  K: 9  BB: 4  BA.311 OBP.367 SLG.578

Travis Shaw

G: 11 AB: 41  H: 12  R: 6  2b: 6  RBI: 6  TB: 18  K: 10  B: 9  BA.298  OBP.420  SLG.439

Michael Almanzar was drafted in 2007 as a 16yr old out of the Dominican republic. Has big power potential with below average defense at both 3b/1b. Has had work ethic issues in the past, but over the last year or so has turned the corner of sorts and is already making some noise this year. Looks like he could be a fill-in at 3b/1b and DH.

Travis Shaw made is name known last year with a breakout season at High-A Salem and showing some struggles after a late promotion to AA in 2012. Shaw has a good eye at the plate with a patient approach as seen with a very good OBP and K/BB throughout the minors. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Seadogs leaders after 11 games

bump

apparently nobody cares about our farm system. no posts. come on guys.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Very happy with apparent resucitation of career by Ranaudo !  It seems like only a year ago he was our top pitching prospect .Early yet, but looking great. His body type and delivery suggest top of rotation potential still. Ii'm optimistic for his ML debut probably late 2014.

Workman never seems to excite the scouts I've read, hmm. Solid steady development numbers look okay to me, but am no expert. Shaw another example of same lack of excitement, he wasn't projected to succeed above High A level yet seemingly keeps plugging along. Given relative paucity of power hitting first basemen in system this is a good thing.

Overall it appears management has been and continues to stockpile quality arms ( Britton included ) as well as decent bats.  I only wish we had better outfield prospects nearing top levels as no clear stud power hiitters appear anywhere near ready in AA or AAA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Very happy with apparent resucitation of career by Ranaudo !  It seems like only a year ago he was our top pitching prospect .Early yet, but looking great. His body type and delivery suggest top of rotation potential still. Ii'm optimistic for his ML debut probably late 2014.

Workman never seems to excite the scouts I've read, hmm. Solid steady development numbers look okay to me, but am no expert. Shaw another example of same lack of excitement, he wasn't projected to succeed above High A level yet seemingly keeps plugging along. Given relative paucity of power hitting first basemen in system this is a good thing.

Overall it appears management has been and continues to stockpile quality arms ( Britton included ) as well as decent bats.  I only wish we had better outfield prospects nearing top levels as no clear stud power hiitters appear anywhere near ready in AA or AAA.

Brentz has a power bat--he seems to be a slow starter at times. RF

JBJ has some decent numbers. CF

Personally Bogaerts may be the future LF'der.

To me that could be your 2014 starting OF at Fenway.

Workman is the sleeper of the young arms. If he is not included in a trade I see him perhaps as a long reliever in 2014. Wilson is getting a good chance currently as a short reliever--he is to be watched.

Follow 2004 Idiots daily for Minor League info on The SeaDogs and PawSox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Brandon Workman, although not excitable, should be a quality middle to back of the rotation pitcher who can give you IP's. Cant have all TOTR starters, although it would be nice.

Ranaudo had that nagging groin injury that messed with mechanics and never really went away last year. I cant wait to see what his numbers look like after a full healthy year in AA.

Bryce Brentz has got 25-30 HR power. Hes going to have his share of K's, but has proved he can get on base at a respectable clip regardless. (around .360ish OBP). Hazelbaker has shown a lot of power the last couple years, but I dont see him as anything more than a 4th OF'er type.

If DeLaCruz or Jacobs can work on their plate discipline and pitch recognition, they both have very high power potential. But like you said, those are the guys that are 2+ years away anyway.

We all know about JBJ. beside those guys, yeah, our OF prospect depth is kinda thin. We have AAAA guys ready to fill in, but not many solid OF prospects to look forward to. Maybe they will address that in this years draft.

Remember that Bogaerts may switch positions, and personally I think he would be a nioce power bat in LF.