Seaon is PROBABLY over and Ben should be replaced next season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Seaon is PROBABLY over and Ben should be replaced next season.

It's heart breaking that I'm saying this.  I never doubt about Sox' making to the playoff until last night.  I'm starting to think that there's more possibility now that we won't see our beloved Sox playing in October. 

I think Ben gave up and he did it too early.  I think he chickened out and not actively involved in trade market which could have changed the mood of this team and might have turned this team around.  Instead nothing happened and Sox keep losing.  This team can't afraid of change, going over the luxury tax limit, weighing whether we would make it to the playoff or not.  Ben should have tried his best to change chemistry of this team before going into tough series this week. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Seaon is PROBABLY over and Ben should be replaced next season.

Hey with these so many injuries this year, how can you fix the problem?  The Cardinals was doing the samething last year as Boston did this year so far except they got Fucal to play at SS.  Not much of an upgrade.  And somehow they won it all.

So sometime there is nothing you can do about it when a team have so many injuries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Ben has done a fair job in my assessment. This team is where it is solely due to injuries/underperforming players. He has certainly not been poor enough to warrant removal after one season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Could be over, no doubt.  But still too early to throw in the towel.  I think Ben C and Bobby V have been competent, but at the end of the day it is about wins and losses.  They both could get the boot. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Seaon is PROBABLY over and Ben should be replaced next season.:
    [QUOTE]Could be over, no doubt.  But still too early to throw in the towel.  I think Ben C and Bobby V have been competent, but at the end of the day it is about wins and losses.  They both could get the boot. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Ben C will not get the boot after this season.  BV will not get boot either, but he is more likely to walk away from the team on his own term after this season is over.  Only if his team fail to make to the post season!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amisoxornot. Show amisoxornot's posts

"Could" be over?  Seriously what's wrong with you people?  This season has been over for several weeks.  You can NOT continue to lose series like the sox have and possibly think that this team is headed for the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HoleinOne402. Show HoleinOne402's posts

GM and Manager likely won't go after this injury driven year, but should.  Sox have become very predictable in field (i.e. if we know when they will take pitches, steal, etc. the other team likely knows as well) and have had hurrendous trades and free agent signings.  May or may not be fair, but a fresh start seems only want to get fully back on track.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

You can't go half the season without you starting OF and expect to be successful. You can't start a season with three starting pitchers and expect to be successful. You can't start the season without a closer and expect to be successful. and you cant' start the season without a SS, RF, or catcher anbd expect to be successful.
    Ben knew what we had going in, and the trades he made in the off-season were probably the worst transactions in the history of baseball.
    He has known what is needed to put us on the right track for weeks, and has yet to do anything about it. This could be construed as sabotage unless he just doesn't know what he is doing. I believe the latter.

BEN, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS!!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Is Cherington making the decision to do nothing?  We all know he is not in charge. The fact that they have a mouthpiece in place tells you all you need to know about the Red Sox brass. They have a mess and it can't be fixed unless everything goes on sale.  They are not ready to do that this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

You don't evaluate a GM based on 1 season, while his hands were tied by ownership wanting to get under the CBT limit.  If anything, he should be praised for his signings of Ross, Shoppach, Padilla and Cook.  Did any of his signings not work out this year (not counting minor league deals that didn't carry any risk)?  His trades have so far been questionable in hindsight, but at the time they made sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, Theo and Larry L. was hired in 2002.  It took them two years to built a good team and won the 2004 WS title.

Right now it is year one for Ben C.  Give him another year as a GM, and see if he can rebuild the team into a better team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ben has not been given the freedom to spend that Theo had. So , it is hard to blame him for everything. Valentine has done as well as could be expected with what he has had to work with.  There are two main reasons that the Sox are where they are today. 1 - A very high number of injuries.   2 - The failure of Beckett and Lester to pitch the way that they were expected to. They have both underachieved.  If they had pitched up to expectations , we would be right up there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Absolutely right. Maybe that guy from Worcester who was with the Blue Jays for a while...what's his name? Maybe he's still around. Riccardi or something like that. The reality of all of this is that when this crew,The John Henry Group, took over in 2004 we haven't developed a significant  pitching talent. From all the Buzz lately, our best is still at least a year away. From our Sept swoon the past two years, our biggest problem was blaming the pitching coaches. Farrell, now manager for TBJ's and Young now pitching coach for the Oakland A's, the hottest team in baseball for the month of July. It's all about pitching. Who ever is responsible for minor league pitching should go to. We can't develope the talent, it's that simple. Our problem is minor league developement with pitching in particular.  Appoint a pitching Czar for minor league operations.Someone with this sole responsibility that reports directly to the GM. Maybe this will help. If not, blow up the minor league model and start over.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Tired of all the exuses. Tired of hearing about the injuries. Tired of the Sox doing nothing since last year's debacle. This team needed player changes after last season. And they did nothing except get rid of the closer and coach. Theo put this team in dire straights so I can't blame BC for that. But he can be held accountable if he was afraid to pull triggers this year. This team is a mess. NO doubt about that. But standing pat was not the answer I don't think. Change was needed and still is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

WHat is he supposed to do???  Give away the prospects we have?  the only chance the sox have is keeping the prospects, devleoping them, and playing them alongside the bloated contracts they can do NOTHING about.

It'd be great if he could trade Crawford or Lackey...but that's not even possible.  Nobody wants those contracts.

Ben needs at least 2-3 years to see what he's even capable of.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

So Cherrigton should be fired after 1 year when the payroll is still 80% Theo's doing? 

Right now Ben is trying to work around the mess that Theo left him, 1 season is not enough time to do that. 

Sections
Shortcuts