second half predictions...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

second half predictions...

We will be at the half way point of the 2013 season after this weekend, so I though it would be fun to hear some second half predictions for individual players, and/or teams predictions for the remainder of the season...Final standings results, call-ups, trades, and even playoff predictions (if you think they will make it) are welcome too. I will post mine later. I dont have time right now, but wanted to make this thread while I thought of it...Look forward to your predictions.

Id like to keep this thread alive for the remainder of the year so we can have some fun and see who got what right and wrong.

Also, lets do some bold predictions as well as our basic predictions....Thanks All!!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: second half predictions...

In response to southpaw777's comment:

We will be at the half way point of the 2013 season after this weekend, so I though it would be fun to hear some second half predictions for individual players, and/or teams predictions for the remainder of the season...Final standings results, call-ups, trades, and even playoff predictions (if you think they will make it) are welcome too. I will post mine later. I dont have time right now, but wanted to make this thread while I thought of it...Look forward to your predictions.

Sure. I'll bite.

1. Wins: 78-84

2. Jon Lester ERA: 4.40-4.60

3. Clay Buchholtz days missed until from now on: minimum of two 15 day DL stints

4. Final place in the standings: fourth, possibly third due to parity in the ALE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Sure. I'll bite.

1. Wins: 78-84

2. Jon Lester ERA: 4.40-4.60

3. Clay Buchholtz days missed until from now on: minimum of two 15 day DL stints

4. Final place in the standings: fourth, possibly third due to parity in the ALE

I am surprised about how little you care about creditability. You think the Red Sox could really go 15 to 10 games under 500 the rest of the way? That is silly even for you, especially after you would start changing your mind in July.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ok, kids. Lets get back on track. Dont come here to have a useless back and forth please. Just post you predictions for the Red Sox.

C- Salty
    Salty will finish the year with his best offensive numbers on the Red Sox. 260BA 320OBP and 500SLG. Lavarnway will finish the year as Ross has continuing issues with a 2nd concussion.

1b- Naps
    Napoli will have a record amount of K's, but still come in with his career averages with a higher RBI average. He will finish the year with no hip issues.

2b- Pedey
    Pedey will be Pedey. 300+BA about a 400OBP and low/mid 400 SLG. Pedeys power will remain pretty much non-existent due to the thumb issue. He will have about 10HR's.

SS- This is where it gets tricky. Drew will be the SS until the trade deadline. There will be a couple different offers for Drews services, on the last day of the deadline they bite and get a decent prospect (B-) and another lower level pitching prospect. Iggy moves over to SS from 3b.

3b- Iggy will remain at 3b due to WMB not hitting and eventually being sent down. The Drew trade goes through and the Sox put Xander Bogaerts on the 40-man roster, but give WMB a final shot to succeed. Eventually Bogey is called up sometime in August so he can be available for the PO roster, should they make it, and takes over 3b.

OF- Nava/ Goes on DL to let the wrist heal so he will be healthy for the final run. he finishes strong with a 290BA and a 380OBP with a career high 17HR. Ellsbury/ will continue performing, accumilating 60+ SB, a 300BA and a 360OBP. Victorino will be on and off the DL. JBJ will be called up 2 more times before the end of the year. Vic (IVC ;) will finish strong, and his name will come up at the trade deadline, but he will remain in Boston. I could see a possibility of an OF acquisition.

Starting pitching. Buchholz will remain healthy after he returns from the DL and go on to have 15+ wins and 5 or less losses. He will be in the Cy Young talks. Lester will not be as bas as he is now, but will not regain his early season mojo. 4ERA, 13-15 wins. Lackey will be the surprise of the year. He will go on a 2nd half tear and make 14 wins with an era south of 3.50. Dempster and Doubront will both end up with around 12 wins and 4ERA. We will see a spot start from Brandon Workman and Webster. They will explore every pitching possibility on the market, but will ultimately not add a starter.

DH- Papi will end up batting 300+ with 30HR and 100RBI. There will be no DL and no heel issues. Papi is not "DONE"...

Bullpen- OK, the toughest one to predict. Ill just say that I can see them acquiring someone (Crain?) at the deadline and I wouldnt rule out RDLR spending some timwe there as well.

Trade possibilities: Drew. Prospects. Acquisitions: Bullpen, OF, Depth. I can see prospects like Almanzar, Brentz, Britton, Coyle, De La Cruz, Jacobs, Huntzinger, and Vinicio as tradable.

Of course almost anyone is available for the right deal, but I dont see the Sox as sellers. If WMB is still not producing and they dont think Bogey is ready, then Drew obviously stays.

regular season final record: 90-72

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Final standings: Boston/Baltimore/Toronto/Tampa Bay/New York 

Last place NY only 7 games out of 1st.

But that means Buch has to get healthy fast and pitch on his turn the rest of the year.

Ells, Ortiz, Pedey, Npas, lead the offense.  Bradley ends up with significant playing time as Nava fades and Vic comes and goes, and gives a spark with his OBP and fielding.  Unless he gets traded in the deal for Cliff Lee. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Final AL East Standings:

Red Sox and Rays 92-70 (Red Sox win tiebreaker)

Blue Jays 90-72

Yankees and Orioles 89-73

Bold Regular Season Predictions:

1. Middlebrooks will be sent down in the coming days/weeks (UPDATE: It actually happened today, but no Bogaerts yet) , and Bogaerts will be called up in his place and make an immediate impact as our middle-of-the-order RH power bat. Middlebrooks will then be traded in the offseason.

2. Red Sox trade acquisitions: Yovani Gallardo (after giving up on Doubront), Jesse Crain

3. Buchholz won't get injured again, will start the ASG, and be a serious Cy Young candidate.

4. Jon Lester stats: 13-10, sub 4.00 ERA

5. Papi stats: .300, 35-40 HR, 100-110 RBI

6. (Non-Red Sox) Miguel Cabrera will REPEAT as Triple Crown winner after Chris Davis goes on a power drought after he wins the HR Derby.

7. Bailey is DFA'd and is claimed by the Tigers. He ends up LEADING THEM TO THE WS. Karma.

8. Nava continues to hit and ends with .280/20/90. Gets 10 million a year in free agency.

9. Mike Carp hits 15 HR off the bench, and becomes a starter next year.

10. Jonny Gomes doesn't shave and grows a longer beard than Brian Wilson.

Bold Playoff Predictions:

1. AL Playoff Pool: Red Sox, Tigers, Rangers, Rays (Win WC game over Blue Jays)

2. NL Playoff Pool: Braves, Cardinals, Rockies, Pirates (Win WC game over Reds)

3. Red Sox over Rangers, Tigers over Rays, Pirates over Rockies, Braves over Cardinals in DS

4. Tigers over Red Sox, Pirates over Braves in CS

5. Tigers over Pirates in WS...... On walk-off HR in Game 7 by Prince Fielder

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

1) Sox win the division

2) James Shields somehow winds up in our rotation

3) Bailey & Middlebrooks bounce back to contribute 

4) Ryan Kalish plays a role before it's all over

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Like I said during Spring Training, the Red Sox will go 87-75 and earn a Wild Card berth.  

The Red Sox will not make a major trade during the trading deadline.

The Red Sox and Yankees will have a brawl.   LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Like I said during Spring Training, the Red Sox will go 87-75 and earn a Wild Card berth.  

The Red Sox will not make a major trade during the trading deadline.

The Red Sox and Yankees will have a brawl.   LOL

I still cant wait for this one Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Sox play .500 ball for the rest of the season, we have 87-75 record which I believe is good for 3rd place in the division.  Sox had great start but struggled a little when Lester came down to earth and injuries start to haunt us.  But even with all those struggles, Sox are still at the first place.  Team will be very active before the deadline and I'm sure FO will bring good pieces to better the team.  I think Lester will turn things around after the AS break and have better stuff for the rest of the season.  I see Sox going for 46-38 and have the final record of 91-71 and wins the division.  

ALE

1. Boston Red Sox 91-71

2. Baltimore Orioles 90-72

3. Tampa Bay Rays 88-74

4. New York Yankees 84-78

5. Toronto Blue Jays 84-78

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Heres My 10 predictions

1. -  Clay Buccholz will pitch every start for the rest of the year.  No I don't mean every 5 days I mean every flipping start; J/K. every 5 days. 

2. - John Lakey will pitch very mediocre for the rest of the season and may even end up  going on a D.L. stint.  This is only because I feel he may get tired at some point due to not pitching a full season of baseball in two years. 

3. - Stephen Drew, Alfredo Aceves, and Ryan Lavarnway will be traded

4. - Xander Bogaerts will be playing in Boston by the end of August. 

5. - 2 out of RDLR, Allen Webster, Matt Barnes, Henry Owens, Brandon Workman, and Alex          Wilson will be traded

6. - Trey Ball will not be traded, but someone will suggest we do trade him

7 - Whoever suggests we trade Ball will read this and have absolutely no idea why we will not trade him.

8 - Blue Jays will finish strong and at least contend for a wild card

9 - Both the Red Sox and the Yankees will fall off...although Boston will at least still be in the playoff hunt while NY may very well fall out. 

10 Ellsbury will play great and not get traded.....Softy will be very angry and very busy on his keyboard. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Red Sox finish 89-73, squeeze into playoffs. O's win the division. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sox finish 71 and 91 because that's what I thought before the season started and I want them to keep winning and keep making me wrong. 

Buchholz's pain in the neck requires major surgery and he doesn't start again this season.

Lackey and Lester both get injured covering 1B and both miss two months.  Doubront becomes the ace and wins 10 games with an ERA of 5.  Dempster is worse.  Bailey makes a terrific comeback and gives up no runs, but gets so few save opportunities it doesn't matter. 

Ellsbury and Victorino collide in late July and miss the rest of the season.  Pedroia's hand/wrist needs surgery and he's out for all of August and September.  Sox finish with MBR at 3B, Drew at SS, and Iglesias at 2B, and they play good D but can't hit much. Bogaerts gets to Boston in late August, but hasn't yet figured out MLB pitching, plus he makes 10 errors in 20 games at SS and 3B.  Napoli and Nava finish in good shape but their OPS's drop steadily to around .700 each.   Bradley re-emerges and plays CF brilliantly but still can't hit.  Salty and Lavarnway turn out to be the best catching combo in MLB, especially at the plate, but it's not enough. 

Cherington and Farrell get fired.  Lucchino takes over as GM, Nieves becomes the manager with explicit instructions to avoid injuries.   

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mjagger's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

1) Sox win the division

2) James Shields somehow winds up in our rotation

3) Bailey & Middlebrooks bounce back to contribute 

4) Ryan Kalish plays a role before it's all over

Really? Don't let common sense impair your predictions.

I think some of the predictions are a cross between hopes and predictions.
    what are your prediction yazz?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

whoever predicted Middy to go down, thats one right. Albeit a pretty obvious one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I didn't predict it I think Hill did.  I did say in the offseason that people should not be surprised if Middy experiences a sophmore slump.  Hopefully that is what this is and he can learn to have more patience. Patience will never be part of his game as he will always be a free swinger.  But if he can hone in his approach enough to look for his pitches to drive and keep pitchers honest then he will be just fine. 

I want to add one more prediction to my record 

11. Drew sutton will be released in the next month, and will either clear waivers (if he plays horrible) or will be traded (if he plays well) 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I didn't predict it I think Hill did.  I did say in the offseason that people should not be surprised if Middy experiences a sophmore slump.  Hopefully that is what this is and he can learn to have more patience. Patience will never be part of his game as he will always be a free swinger.  But if he can hone in his approach enough to look for his pitches to drive and keep pitchers honest then he will be just fine. 

11. Drew sutton will be released in the next month, and will either clear waivers (if he plays horrible) or will be traded (if he plays well) 

They are using Sutton at 1b these days, but its still possible. Hes not on the 40 man roster so its not hurting them that way. Im sure he would be claimed by someone for depth or if they have a short term need at 3b/1b

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

They are using Sutton at 1b these days, but its still possible. Hes not on the 40 man roster so its not hurting them that way. Im sure he would be claimed by someone for depth or if they have a short term need at 3b/1b

I meant to say SNYDER....my bad. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

If they don't solve the closer problem; no division title, no wild card,no playoffs. My prediction for ALE winner is Balt., best up the middle defense in AL. ALC winner KC if they can get a power bat,otherwise Cleveland. ALW winner Oakland in a nail-biter. A's have all they need in minor leagues, Sonny Gray RHS looks ready and the biggest stud may be hard throwing LH'er Pedro Figueroa who contributed quite a bit last year when the A's made up 13 Games to win the division.

Sections
Shortcuts