Selig: Playoff expansion is likely -Do you think this is a good idea?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Selig: Playoff expansion is likely -Do you think this is a good idea?

Commissioner Bud Selig said today that baseball is moving forward with playoff expansion.

"I would say we're moving to expanding the playoffs, but there's a myriad of details to work out," Selig said at his annual meeting with the Associated Press Sports Editors. "Ten is a fair number."

The plan would be for the two wild-card teams to play off for the right to advance to the next round. The question is how long that series would be. It could be one game or three.

"The more we've talked about it, I think we're moving inexorably to that," Selig said.

Had this format been in place last season, the Red Sox would have played the Yankees.

I kind of like this idea. It needs to be harder on the wild card teams to advance. They should not start the postseason on the same footing as the division winners.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Selig: Playoff expansion is likely -Do you think this is a good idea?

I personally don't care for any series that after 162 games to earn entrance, the losers fate is determined in 1-3 games.

And I am not sure that Wild Card winner shouldn't be on equal footing with the division winners (minus the possibility of home field advantage).

After all most years the WC winner has a better record than at least one division champ, many years it has been better than two of the division winners records.

I get division winners from the standpoint it creates more races in more cities but in reality if the goal was to find a true champion, wouldn't the best avenue be to take the best 4 teams (or six if baseball just needs more TV revenue) and have them playoff, seated by their 162 game records?

This plan unlike Wild Card as currently constructed this does nothing for me personally, it diminishes the current Wild Cards chance and that has often been a team better than some of the division winners in the tournament. As well thought out as having the All-Star game determine home field for the WS. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Because of expansion, I didn't mind going to divisions and I even came around on the wild card. But enough is enough. We don't need another round.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from -B-A-B-E-. Show -B-A-B-E-'s posts

I liked it better when you either won your league and went to the WS or you went home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Don't care much for the addition of any more playoff teams but I do believe that the division winner should have more than just home field advantage.  Why bother to play 162 games if the idea is to make things fair?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Selig: Playoff expansion is likely -Do you think this is a good idea?:
    Don't care much for the addition of any more playoff teams but I do believe that the division winner should have more than just home field advantage.  Why bother to play 162 games if the idea is to make things fair?
    Posted by traven
    But what about a situation which usually happens in either or both leagues where a team from a strong division won 93-95 games (Wild Card) and a team from a weak division (like the NL Worst has often been) wins 87 or 89 games.

Keep in mind that division winner has played 18 games head to head with all the teams from their weak division. Seems like home field advantage is a heck of a reward for being in a weaker division but being the best of a bad lot.

The whole system already has a lot of holes because of inter-league and unbalanced schedules, none of which is systematically set-up to create a false sense of parity, but does enough to mute who actually are the best teams already.

Now that isn't so bad in the NFL where you only play 16 games but after 162 games to have false positives in the post season just seems wrong. Fair is in the eye of the beholder I suppose because I just don't see where it was fair that NYY whop won more games in a tougher division, did not have home field last year against the Twins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

How about structuring the PO's like the NBA where half the teams make the post-season and finish some time in December or: a round-robin tourney or: an NCAA-style single elimination event with the final 2 teams playing in the World Series w/ the champion taking on all comers in the World Baseball Classic. The winner would be declared Champion of the Solar System and, we would be able to see baseball year-round.     

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Get rid of divisional play

Take the 4 best teams and Seed them appropriately (eg 1 vs 4..... 2 vs 3)

Bring back the balanced schedule (4, three-game series with each team....2 home and 2 away.....preferably splitting this evenly between first half and second half)

Stop the madness of Interleague Play

Either allow the DH in the NL or get rid of it altogether

Increase the first round to best of 7

There will still be one game playoffs for that 4th team

Be sure the season ends on Sept 30th and schedule playoffs to begin on Oct 2nd (3rd if there is a one game playoff needed)

Allow 2 days off between each new series

The World Series should be held on the weekends (ie Sat/Sun/Tue/Wed/Thur/Sat/Sun).......

Case closed...this ain't Hockey!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Some imposing questions for Bizarro Bud Selig:

Can the economy support expanding MLB?Can individual cities create and rally a fan base and an ongoing system of revenues?

Will the quality of players and playing be diluted?

Will we be playing baseball in December?

Bottom line:  baseball good, expansion bad.

Here endeth the lesson.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

How about expanding on the 25-man roster?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

" I liked it better when you either won your league and went to the WS or you went home. "- B-A-B-E

Obvious position to take having suffered a historical gag at the hands of a wildcard team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chain-reaction. Show chain-reaction's posts

Among many other things, such a move would greatly increase the odds of a mediocre team with two top starting pitchers or two hot starting pitchers winning the World Series.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Baseball is the only sport that does it the right way. Leave it that way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Selig: Playoff expansion is likely -Do you think this is a good idea?:
    Among many other things, such a move would greatly increase the odds of a mediocre team with two top starting pitchers or two hot starting pitchers winning the World Series.
    Posted by chain-reaction
    You mean like the 2010 SF Giants?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

Eh.  I dunno.  Seems fair enough.  I kind of  like the idea of the divisional race having more importance.  I like it better than  the current system, though I'm not a fan of the playoff system of any of the 4 sports in general (save possibly the NFL).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Some imposing questions for Bizarro Bud Selig: Can the economy support expanding MLB?Can individual cities create and rally a fan base and an ongoing system of revenues? Will the quality of players and playing be diluted? Will we be playing baseball in December? Bottom line:  baseball good, expansion bad. Here endeth the lesson.
    Posted by summerof67
    just great, pitcher removed from game 7 due to frostbite...Tongue out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Eh.  I dunno.  Seems fair enough.  I kind of  like the idea of the divisional race having more importance. 

I have to agree with billsrul

but with so many having weather concerns

I suppose we would have to go with  only a 1 game format

which is so wrong 4 BB

perhaps 3 games in 2 days

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I liked 2 divisions. One LCS and WS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

It's all about generating more revenue with Selig. I don't like the idea.

I liked the two division format also and hated the idea of the wildcard, when they expanded to three divisions.

I shut up about it when the sox starting getting into the playoffs with it so often.

Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It dawns on me that this may be MLB's version of the NFL's 18 game season, a negotiating chip.

Now the player's concerns won't be as great as NFL players concerns are about the health implications, but the weather issues are clearly there. Because IMO there is no way MLB reduces the length of the regular season.

So perhaps what you have here is a barganing chip that quickly goes in the trash while draft slotting get more focus OR MLB gets to dillute some of the corrections to what the receivers of revenue sharing would be required to do with it.

Certainly as the CBA gets reworked there will be bigger issues than adding 2-6 post season games from both sides perspective.

I am not an old schooler and loved the idea of adding Wild Cards and making the LCS the best 4 out of 7. But this sounds like a cracked idea.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

How about expanding on the 25-man roster?
    Posted by harness

I don't necessarily disagree. I mean, what is the point of the 25 man roster? Is it an economic issue?
    I do think the number of pitchers should be limited but not the position players.
    Expand it to 30. 14 pitchers and 16 position players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts