Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Hey, that's a good one, Bud.

But seriously, thanks for everything you do - whatever it is that you do.

I SAID - THANKS FOR EVERYTHING THAT YOU...

(Sigh.) Never mind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncsoxfan4life. Show ncsoxfan4life's posts

Re: Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue

REALLY WE SHOULD BE COMPENSATING THE CUBS FOR TAKING BOY WONDER !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Alright, so the entire situation is joke. 

Assuming he is serious this time though, do you think that he would take that word "significant" in his consideration?  He should.  It was written in the agreement and signed by the Cubs.   A single A ball player would not be considered "significant".

Obviously, I don't expect them to just hand us Garza.  But, we might get someone decent.  I think the "significant" part is what is holding everything up in the first place.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue:
    [QUOTE]Alright, so the entire situation is joke.  Assuming he is serious this time though, do you think that he would take that word "significant" in his consideration?  He should.  It was written in the agreement and signed by the Cubs.   A single A ball player would not be considered "significant". Obviously, I don't expect them to just hand us Garza.  But, we might get someone decent.  I think the "significant" part is what is holding everything up in the first place.
    Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]
    Where is the signed agreement to "significant" compensation?

The day Theo Epstein resigned, the Red Sox and Cubs issued a joint release that reads in part:

"The clubs also have reached an agreement regarding a process by which appropriate compensation will be determined for the Red Sox and that issue will be resolved in the near term."

http://articles.boston.com/2011-12-21/sports/30543331_1_red-sox-gm-meetings-theo-epstein

Are you suggesting that the Red Sox should renege on their agreement to "appropriate" compensation and now demand "significant" compensation?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

The RS have no leverage on this what so ever and they should have dealt with this in November.  But they sat on it and now they will be lucky to get a AA player who will be a journeymen at best.  If I am the RS I would shoot for a starting pitcher or an OF who could slide into Ellsbury's spot once he bolts for FA.  Ells is a Boras client and if he has two more years that are simlar to 2011 he will cash in big time.

I dont see Mcnutt or Jackson coming but it should be atleast 1 of the top five prospects in the organization.  That would be "Significant".  Not saying that will happen but its what is just.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

Just another day spent by the Sox management either sleeping or dreaming up new and even more idiotic promotions. Hey, maybe there can be a "bad arm" day at Fenway -- fans with broken arms can have their casts signed by all the pitchers signed this year (half of whom will have been released by then, even if it is in April).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue : Where is the signed agreement to "significant" compensation? The day Theo Epstein resigned, the Red Sox and Cubs issued a joint release that reads in part: "The clubs also have reached an agreement regarding a process by which appropriate compensation will be determined for the Red Sox and that issue will be resolved in the near term." http://articles.boston.com/2011-12-21/sports/30543331_1_red-sox-gm-meetings-theo-epstein Are you suggesting that the Red Sox should renege on their agreement to "appropriate" compensation and now demand "significant" compensation?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Apprpopriate and significant are not mutually exclusive.  For example, Gonzo's salary is significant, but appropriate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue : Apprpopriate and significant are not mutually exclusive.  For example, Gonzo's salary is significant, but appropriate.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    That is the correct response.

The Red Sox are free to argue that "appropriate" should be "significant" while the Cubs are free to argue that "appropriate" should be "not significant."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The RS have no leverage on this what so ever and they should have dealt with this in November...

The Sox had no leverage in November either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

What is " significant " or " appropriate " is subject to interpretation. I think Selig will try to be fair to both clubs , but I don't expect to get anyone special.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I haven't seen the actual signed piece of paper.  It sounds like some of you have.

But, all of the reports from Globe dating back to Novemeber, including the one reported today, has the word "significant".

I should be asking you "where did you see the word "appropriate".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't seen the actual signed piece of paper.  It sounds like some of you have. But, all of the reports from Globe dating back to Novemeber, including the one reported today, has the word "significant". I should be asking you "where did you see the word "appropriate".
    Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]
    Please read my first post to this thread.

The day Theo Epstein resigned, the Red Sox and Cubs issued a joint release that reads in part:

"The clubs also have reached an agreement regarding a process by which appropriate compensation will be determined for the Red Sox and that issue will be resolved in the near term."

http://articles.boston.com/2011-12-21/sports/30543331_1_red-sox-gm-meetings-theo-epstein

The Cubs apparently agreed to "appropriate" compensation while unidentified Red Sox sources have been later quoted as believing the compensation would be "siginificant."

When the Cubs and Red Sox agreed to "appropriate" compensation, each club was aware of the nearly identical situation of Andy MacPhail's departure from the Twins to the Cubs in 1994.

MacPhail had marshaled the Twins to two World Series titles (the franchise's first since 1924) before MacPhail left the Minnesota general manager post in 1994 to become president and CEO of the Chicago Cubs at age 42.

That's an awfully close comp.

The compensation for MacPhail was 21-year-old High A pitching prospect Hector Trinidad, who never advanced beyond the Triple A level:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=trinid001hec

The Red Sox would be fortunate to get better compensation for Theo Epstein.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

BS!!!!   2 WS rings is significant.   There should be a player of value in return for producing 2 world series teams in Boston.   Nothing is free in this world and Selig needs to make the cubs pay up for taking one of our best employees.  Garza would be a starting point, anything less and Bud is making a huge mistake.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]BS!!!!   2 WS rings is significant.   There should be a player of value in return for producing 2 world series teams in Boston.   Nothing is free in this world and Selig needs to make the cubs pay up for taking one of our best employees.  Garza would be a starting point, anything less and Bud is making a huge mistake.   
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

Theo was not going to be here in any capacity had he not gone to Ch-itown. Everyone knew that. 

All sports have an unwritten rule that coaches and managers can get out of their contracts if they geta promotion. Compensation for those moves is usually zilch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]BS!!!!   2 WS rings is significant.   There should be a player of value in return for producing 2 world series teams in Boston.   Nothing is free in this world and Selig needs to make the cubs pay up for taking one of our best employees.  Garza would be a starting point, anything less and Bud is making a huge mistake.   
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]
    The Twins got a High A prospect as compensation from the Cubs for general manager Andy MacPhail after MacPhail had led Minnesota to two World Series titles.

That's the reality.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue : The Twins got a High A prospect as compensation from the Cubs for general manager Andy MacPhail after MacPhail has led Minnesota to two World Series titles. That's the reality.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Some people are living in another world. There's no convincing them otherwise, hill, but you did your best.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Agreed, hill and moon.

I was only satirizing the fact that it has dragged on too long.

A high A prospect sounds about right, hill. Or a middling prospect.

I think Lucchino is responsible for gumming up this one.

Depth chart for Pawtucket looks really good, though

Main club is getting better with the addition of Cody Ross.

But I digress.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue : The Twins got a High A prospect as compensation from the Cubs for general manager Andy MacPhail after MacPhail had led Minnesota to two World Series titles. That's the reality.
    Posted by hill55[/Q

I didn't realize that Hill.   If that is the reality then I guess a double AA prospect is about all we can hope for.  Thanks for the insight.....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

An AL GM who is not associated with the Red Sox or Cubs believes that Commissioner Bud Selig will give Boston a significant player in the compensation agreement:  "I don’t think MLB wants executives leaving their teams before their contracts are up and therefore he will try to deter teams from doing that again."

according to MLB trade 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I hope that AL GM is correct, or at least that Bud Selig reads Nick's Sunday column.  As someone pointed out, Selig does like the Sox management group.  Perhaps he will stick it to Theo and the Cubs owners.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Whatever, if any real compensation comes back to us for Theo, it will not be significant. I doubt whichever player comes our way never makes the 40 man roster. This situation was dead in terms of adding value to our team long ago. Let's just move on.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]For your information a joint press release is not a contractural agreement. It is a series of words meant to placate the media. Nothing more. It is certain that the Red Sox organization spelled out in a CONTRACT that binds both parties to the consideration outlined therein. If the RS gave up their GM who had one year remaining on his contract with said team, Chiacgo shall be obligated to compenstation Red Sox for Red Sox allowing its GM to escape the contractural obligation to complete his agreement with club. It is agreed that the Red Sox shall be compensationed with ...................... Significant would seem to fit here much better than Appropriate. Either way, however, it would be open to interruptation. It is difficult to believe that the blank would not have made reference to a series of players or class of players that the red sox would have believed to be signifcant or appropriate for that matter. It is this legal binding contract that Selig will be using to deal with the matter. Otherwise he will be open to all kinds of criticism for reckless decisions. If there is no document than theo should not be working for the cubs right now. Press releases do not release employees from contracts only contracts can do that.
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]
    The issue may come down to who is authorized to approve a joint press release and who is authorized to enter into a contract binding on the team.

One owner may have asked his public relations director draft a press release about Theo Epstein's resignation and the compensation. The PR director emails a draft to his owner who approves it and forwards the email to the other team's owner for his approval. If the other owner by email approves the language and authorizes a release, the result could be a binding contract (but one that could be superceded by a later contract or by limiting language in a previous contract).

If the teams entered into a formal contract that calls for "significant" compensation, then the compensation should be "significant." If the teams entered into a formal contract that calls for "minor league" compensation, then the compensation should be "minor league."