Send Iggy down for Drew? Really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Send Iggy down for Drew? Really?

And yet a team can totally transform their roster for the post season. I'll never get MLB's little non-sensical rules. Seems like they're constantly changing too. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Drew isn't getting traded until at least July, if then. Iggy has not yet proven he can consistently hit even at the AAA level. What is GOING to happen is that Iggy is going to play at Pawtucket for many months and Drew will be the team's SS. If, by July, Iglesias is still hitting the baseball at the AAA level only then will Drew become a trade chip.

I don't think Iggy is going to Pawtucket till July.  He hit well in spring and many people are saying he is swinging the bat much better than before...he's actually stinging the ball.

So mark me down as saying you're wrong on this one, my friend. Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Drew is a career .265 hitter. He has a total of 77 home runs in 7 years in MLB. Where are we getting the idea that he is such a better hitter than Iglesias ?   As far as defense ; it is not even close. Iglesias is younger , faster , healthier and has far more of an upside.  I don't know why this is even being debated.  I don't see Drew as a backup because we already have Ciriaco for that at a lower cost. It should be a priority to get Drew healthy , then find a trading partner.  He must be a better shortstop option for some team.  Just have to accept that we will have to eat salary.

your selling drew short considering he's been out of MLB for basically 2 years with that ankle injury. fact is, when he's healthy he is one of the top SSs in the game offensively. If he can give you solid defense too then that makes him one of the better overall SSs also.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew is a career .265 hitter. He has a total of 77 home runs in 7 years in MLB. Where are we getting the idea that he is such a better hitter than Iglesias ?  

Drew's MLB numbers per 682 PAs:

.256  15  70  (32 2B+3B) .328/.433/.762

Iggy's career minor league numbers per 682 PAs:

.264  2  50   (46 2B + 3B) .313/.314/.626

Please don't tell me it's all about BA.

I'm for Iggy all the way, but Drew is a better hitter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Drew is a career .265 hitter. He has a total of 77 home runs in 7 years in MLB. Where are we getting the idea that he is such a better hitter than Iglesias ?  

If Drew is a better hitter , it is not by enough to justify him starting.  And that could change quickly as Iglesias continues to develop. Despite all the metrics devotees on here , batting average is still an important gauge of a hitter. That is why we have batting champions , .300 hitters, no more .400 hitters since Williams , etc.  I won't tell you it's all about BA , but some of it is. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Drew, like Sweeney, Bailey, bard experiment, lillibridge, was a big mistake....the good news is that we ont have to watch him play....just because you made the mistake of signing him doesnt mean you have to keep and play them....just move on Ben...we have Pedro C who is versatile and can play all the key infield positions

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Who has the better upside? thats the best DREW will ever be..Iggy? hes just getting started...not even a close debate imo

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Drew should be tradeable at some point.  He might even be tradeable right now if the Sox were willing to eat a few mill.

Drew isn't getting traded until at least July, if then. Iggy has not yet proven he can consistently hit even at the AAA level. What is GOING to happen is that Iggy is going to play at Pawtucket for many months and Drew will be the team's SS. If, by July, Iglesias is still hitting the baseball at the AAA level only then will Drew become a trade chip.

That's what ive been saying all along.. Let drew establish some value and then trade him at the deadline for some nice pieces.  Why not get something for a guy who probs wont be here next year anyways and get Iggy some more time to get his hitting together. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment: Makes perfect sense to me.....

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Drew should be tradeable at some point.  He might even be tradeable right now if the Sox were willing to eat a few mill.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Drew is a better hitter , it is not by enough to justify him starting.  And that could change quickly as Iglesias continues to develop. Despite all the metrics devotees on here , batting average is still an important gauge of a hitter. That is why we have batting champions , .300 hitters, no more .400 hitters since Williams , etc.  I won't tell you it's all about BA , but some of it is. 

Look, I've been for Iggy being our FT SS for over two years. I am certain that Iggy is an overall plus over Drew, but I am not going to claim that Iggy's minor league BA being slightly better than Drew's MLB BA make him even close to an offensive threat as Drew is. 

Of course Iggy may get better, and perhaps Drew gets worse, but the gap is so wide, there is virually no chance that Iggy will have a better offensive year than Drew in 2013. I accept that as anear certainty, but I also realize it won't make up for the defensive differential between the two.

To think that a .008 BA differential between a minor league number and a major league number means Iggy is even better in this one offensive category, and yes it is an important category, is just plain nonsense. What is more nonsensical is to think the .008 BA advantage outweighs the .015 OBP and .119 SLG% advantage by Drew (BTW, these are not "metrics") is beyond belief.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Who has the better upside? thats the best DREW will ever be..Iggy? hes just getting started...not even a close debate imo

Actually, the best Drew can be is unknown, he is just 30, and many players have had their career highs after 30.

What we do know is that he can put up these numbers: he's done it already.

Career MLB best:

BA: .291  (.316 in 226 PAs in 2006)

OBP: .352 (.357 in '06)

SLG: .502  (.517 in '06)

OPS: 836  (.874 in '06)

HRs: 21

RBI: 67

Runs: 91

Iggy's upside is likely never going to approach what Drew has already proven he can do, when healthy. I do think he can and will improve, but he won't come close to these numbers in 2013.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Beyond belief , huh ? Wow.  I think I'll just wait and see how this year plays out.  I think Iglesias is improving every day. Drew's hitting is nothing special.  Iglesias should not be hard pressed to surpass it.  By the way , your arrogance is " nonsensical. "

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's what ive been saying all along.. Let drew establish some value and then trade him at the deadline for some nice pieces.  Why not get something for a guy who probs wont be here next year anyways and get Iggy some more time to get his hitting together. 

Ben already established his perceived value of Drew: $9.5M.

I'm sure teams only need to know if Drew is over the concussion, and his value is what they currently feel it is. There's nothing to prove. Either a GM values him or they don't. He won't have to play long to prove anything new.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Beyond belief , huh ? Wow.  I think I'll just wait and see how this year plays out.  I think Iglesias is improving every day. Drew's hitting is nothing special.  Iglesias should not be hard pressed to surpass it By the way , your arrogance is nonsensical.  

You are comparing minor league numbers to ML numbers and expecting Iggy to reach his career high offensive numbers in his first ML season. That's what it would take for him to even approach Drew's career norm, let alone his "upside potential". It's not "arrogance" to call that nonsense.

Drew has the numbers since 2006that place him, among SSs with over 2,500 PAs:

7th in OPS (out of 28)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Beyond belief , huh ? Wow.  I think I'll just wait and see how this year plays out.  I think Iglesias is improving every day. Drew's hitting is nothing special.  Iglesias should not be hard pressed to surpass it By the way , your arrogance is nonsensical.  

You are comparing minor league numbers to ML numbers and expecting Iggy to reach his career high offensive numbers in his first ML season. That's what it would take for him to even approach Drew's career norm, let alone his "upside potential". It's not "arrogance" to call that nonsense.

7th in OPS (out of 28)

Moonslav , let me just say this ;  you are getting a little testy lately. You can't debate an issue without resorting to sarcastic or insulting talk.  Nobody needs that. We all value our own opinions. Mine is that I fully expect Iglesias to become a better hitter than Drew, maybe as soon as this year. If Drew outhits him , I think it will be only marginally. Not enough to compensate for the difference with the glove.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

7th in OPS (out of 28)

Moonslav , let me just say this ;  you are getting a little testy lately. You can't debate an issue without resorting to sarcastic or insulting talk.  Nobody needs that. We all value our own opinions. Mine is that I fully expect Iglesias to become a better hitter than Drew, maybe as soon as this year. If Drew outhits him , I think it will be only marginally. Not enough to compensate for the difference with the glove.

what are you talking about? moon hasnt insulted anybody..... if you didn't say dumb things he wouldn't have to blow up your spot with factual arguments.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

7th in OPS (out of 28)

what are you talking about? moon hasnt insulted anybody..... if you didn't say dumb things he wouldn't have to blow up your spot with factual arguments.

I say dumb things ? Really ?  Way to kiss up to Moonslav. I am sure he appreciates it. Why don't you just go to your " chatroom " , son ?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

7th in OPS (out of 28)

I say dumb things ? Really ?  Way to kiss up to Moonslav. I am sure he appreciates it. Why don't you just go to your " chatroom " , son ?

when you say that Iggy is better offensively than drew when all the stats say otherwise you are saying dumb things. Get a clue DG

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

7th in OPS (out of 28)

I have been arguing for over 2 years that Iggys defense outweighs the loss on offense vs Drew this year and Aviles last year. I have provided data to show that it is totally possible for a SS to make 100-120 more plays than another SS over a full season. I have never disagreed with you or anyone else who holds the same view on this, but I think that it is nonsense to think that Iggy's .008 better BA in a minors to MLB comparison makes the offensive differential minimal. Sorry, if the word "nonsense" is offensive. 

I do think that Iggy can and will improve, and it could be quicker than I envision. His abilty to bunt for hits may help his numbers look better this year, but I seriously think it is near impossible, hence my choice of the word "nonsense", for him to come close to a .762 OPS. I'd give you 10:1 odds that Iggy, in 2013, won't even reach a .700 OPS or 20:1 odds he won't reach Drew's career .328.

I'm not high on Drew. I was against the signing from day 1. I have continously stated I want Iggy over Drew. However, I can not come close to even imagining that Iggy can put up offensive numbers that approach Drew's career norm.

Let's compare apples to apples:

Drew's minor league numbers: .311/.384/.541/.925 (33 Hrs & 57 2B+3Bs in just 724 ABs)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

facts are stats, building team off stats alone has proven ill. moon is a great poster and the plateau of poster morality but his stat-facts are not always the way to go.

I don't needs stats, and you shouldn't either, to not realize that Drew will be a better hitter in 2013 than Iggy.

I still want Iggy to be our FT SS, but that doesn't mean I will attempt to distort reality to make my point.