Send JBJ Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Send JBJ Down

I want to win this year and I want the Sox to win in the future. This really is a no brainer.  Send JBJ down to AAA until April 12th and bring him up then.  Those 12 days aren't worth a year of control, no matter how well he has done in ST.  I hope Ben uses his head and doesn't succumb to the fans and some local writers calling for JBJ to be on the team now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Send JBJ Down

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

I want to win this year and I want the Sox to win in the future. This really is a no brainer.  Send JBJ down to AAA until April 12th and bring him up then.  Those 12 days aren't worth a year of control, no matter how well he has done in ST.  I hope Ben uses his head and doesn't succumb to the fans and some local writers calling for JBJ to be on the team now. 

I agree ...A couple weeks will not hurt sox. Many posters do not want to see in the future.. But FACT!!! Is that with Boras around and one less year control ,JBJ Will be roaming the outfield for another team in the near even shorter future.... For what ??? A lousy couple weeks. Oh ,yes ! everybody loves JBJ ,But not enough to keep him here a little longer.   Send him down ,,,NOW !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

if they don't send him down now they can do it once Papi returns (moving Gomes back to LF with Nava) and then bring him back up in 20 days.

ATM, i think it would be wise to start him opening day, with Papi out that opens up an everyday playing spot for JBJ.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

I agree ...A couple weeks will not hurt sox. Many posters do not want to see in the future.. But FACT!!! Is that with Boras around and one less year control ,JBJ Will be roaming the outfield for another team in the near even shorter future.... For what ??? A lousy couple weeks. Oh ,yes ! everybody loves JBJ ,But not enough to keep him here a little longer.   Send him down ,,,NOW !

That's not a given. It's not like the Red Sox have never signed a Boras client before. I would go so far as to say the Red Sox ownership probably has as good a relationship with Scott Boras as anyone in baseball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Bradley has earned the job. The Sox are not a small market team. They can afford to work with Boras. They can afford to sign the top talent. What they need to do is stop wasting money on the Drews and Dempsters of this world. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Bradley has earned the job. The Sox are not a small market team. They can afford to work with Boras. They can afford to sign the top talent. What they need to do is stop wasting money on the Drews and Dempsters of this world. 

100% correct. This issue has devolved into an embarrassing bean counting narrative, 7 years into the future. I guess when the brand has been the poster child for the most expensive loser baseball in history, this is what zombie fans start aping: "save a year of control". No narrative on "who are our best players and are we playoff contenders if we use our best players from start to finish".

Yeah....I have to agree.  We have a HUGE payroll every year.....we shouldn't be worrying about 6 years from now.  I understand that it is just a few games but the other thing is.....what type of precedent is this setting up for future players?  "Get an invite to ST training....tear the cover off the ball...play good defense and your reward is to be sent down to the minors so we can control you for one more year.....oh yeah....we are always a top 5 spending team...." 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Alot of JBJ posts and I posted this on another,  but it bears repeating, the Year of Control is not that big of an issue....because of the Super 2 Rule, he would either be 4th year Arb eligible in 2019 or he would be a FA. If he is the player we hope he will be, and if he isnt the extra year point is moot, then the cost in his 4th year of arbitration would probably not be dramatically different then what you would pay AAV by signing him as a FA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

100% correct. This issue has devolved into an embarrassing bean counting narrative, 7 years into the future. I guess when the brand has been the poster child for the most expensive loser baseball in history, this is what zombie fans start aping: "save a year of control". No narrative on "who are our best players and are we playoff contenders if we use our best players from start to finish".

Why would anyone want to deny this kid of the thrill of making the team ?   In the lineup for opening day. Yankee Stadium. Sellout crowd. A moment he will never forget. And, a moment he has truly earned and deserves. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why would anyone want to deny this kid of the thrill of making the team ? 

Why would anyone want to deny Buckner the thrill of being on the field when we make the last out?

Ooops! Wrong thread.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Why would anyone want to deny this kid of the thrill of making the team ? 

Why would anyone want to deny Buckner the thrill of being on the field when we make the last out?

Ooops! Wrong thread.

babe, is that you?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Yeah....I have to agree.  We have a HUGE payroll every year.....we shouldn't be worrying about 6 years from now.  I understand that it is just a few games but the other thing is.....what type of precedent is this setting up for future players?  "Get an invite to ST training....tear the cover off the ball...play good defense and your reward is to be sent down to the minors so we can control you for one more year.....oh yeah....we are always a top 5 spending team...." 

Even large market teams employ that type of strategy. Travis d'Arnaud had a terrific spring but will not break camp with the Mets...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

An extra year of control.  what are you going to say if we have a replacement just like JBJ in near future? I bet you will say trade him at this moment... Why do you care about his extra year of control anyway?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It doesnt matter if your a big or small market team. Its part of the business of baseball.

Im ok with it either way. As long as they can keep him until 2019 somehow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A lot of common sense in the OP.  However, these are not ordinary times.  The Sox are reeling at the box office and on NESN TV ratings because of last year's disaster.  The sold out streak will end next month.  To get the fans back, the Sox need to win games and field an exciting team, and Bradley helps fill both of those requirements. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Lineup for tonight's game will be the opening day lineup and JBJ is not in it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

And you know this how?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

I wonder what the kid's mental makeup is.  If they send him down will he see it as a kick in the pants?  Or will he truly accept that its just part of the business.  That may be a big part of the decision.

Personally I hope he's in the starting lineup Monday in the Bronx.  What a great test to see how he handles a top lefty in CC, how well he manages that vast LF (Gomes or Nava scare me defensively, especially there), and just imagine the 9th inning hype of JBJ vs Mariano with the game on the line.

Of course the extra year would be nice, but if he's as special as he appears, a Pedey type deal can be considered a few years down the road.  Boras has been burned a few times recently with clients not getting the payout he anticipated, so he may be willing to go 4 years at fair value after say the 2016 season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Lester is the opening day starter which means you are wrong. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Lester is the opening day starter which means you are wrong. 

The only time Lester is in the lineup is if he's pitching in a NL park.. So wat does ur comment mean?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Why would anyone want to deny this kid of the thrill of making the team ?   In the lineup for opening day. Yankee Stadium. Sellout crowd. A moment he will never forget. And, a moment he has truly earned and deserves. 

The other night you were on-board and agreeing on the financial part of it of saving possibly $20 mil. if he was delayed by eleven games.

Yeah. That's true. I said I could understand it for financial reasons down the road , or something like that.  But I have to backtrack on that. I really think he belongs in the opening day lineup. Worry about the long term ramifications later on.  The kid looks like a special player. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

If we come here to play GM and pretend that we are a GM and in charge of how to spend scarce resources $$$$ then you must seperate being a totally  passionate fan from being a "bean counter" and $20 mil. is a lot of beans. I prefer that we wait eleven games to bring up Bradley in order to delay his free agency by one year.

I might not be here in 2019, I only buy four bananas at a time now, LOL. - but I hope that the RS can compete with the Evil Empire in 2019 with some cash in their bank account.

If it is in 2019 or 2020 , they have to face it at some point. It is up to management to figure out how to afford their top players. To me , you do it with a steady stream of young players, who are not being paid a lot, to mix in with the higher paid guys. I think the mistake is to pay big bucks to guys who are essentially mediocre veterans.  We are spending something like 23 million this year Drew and Dempster. Just my opinion , but I view that as the wrong way to allocate payroll.  If Bradley is sent down, I'm not going to go crazy about it. I just don't think it is right.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I want to win this year and I want the Sox to win in the future. This really is a no brainer.  Send JBJ down to AAA until April 12th and bring him up then.  Those 12 days aren't worth a year of control, no matter how well he has done in ST"

I tend to agree. I'm not sure what the big deal about 12 games is, the real issue is whether he will be here this year or not, and clearly he will be. 

The Sox tend to not want to act like a big market team half the time. Boras is going to make sure Ellsbury gets top dollar and likely leaves, same thing here. 

People are acting like Bradley is Willie Mays. We can wait on him for a few games. 

Sections
Shortcuts