send lackey to the cubs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: send lackey to the cubs

In Response to Re: send lackey to the cubs:
    [QUOTE]Getting a little real here, this is what the money looks like: Zambrano still owed $39M over two years unless the team getting him avoids an IP option, in which case it is $20M Lackey is $45M over 3 years unless Lackey misses time to elbow surgery. In which case it will be $45.7M over 4 years. So the money moving is only about $6M difference in all likelihood. So what do you have here? Lackey who has been a disappointment in Boston , may have elbow issues that could net a team an extra year at MLB minimum. Lackey's biggest issue beyond stinking it up this year is his facial expressions. Or Zambrano who is a clubhouse poison and has been lousy too for a long time. Personally I wouldn't do the deal, but it actually has some appeal to the Cubs. If they can't swap bad contracts they are at the pint where they are going to cut this guy and be on the hook for $39M. As counter inituative as it sounds Lackey for $6.5M more isn't such a bad deal.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Wow. I disagree with fivekatz.

I’d send Lackey for Zambrano.  Zambrano’s tantrums are massively overblown. 

In 2007, Zambrano had his first one.  He punched Cubs catcher Michael Barrett in the face during a game.  This moment was credited with a turnaround in the Cubs season that sent them to the post-season.  And it also seemed to plant the idea in Zambrano’s head that he could incite his team to play better.    He only seems to have his fits when the team is struggling and not playing as well as he wants, and in spirit, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

However, it went downhill in 2010, when he tried to same thing going after Derrek Lee.  Picking a fight with Michael Barrett was one thing, but Derrek Lee?  Not the same.  Apparnetly half of the league would have liked to punch Barrett in the face.   In 2006, Barrett got into a fight at home plate with AJ Pierzynski, which msde the cover of Baseball Digest.  Every year, McDonalds runs a campaign in Chicago featuring White Sox and Cubs players during their interleague series.  In 2007, the series featured one player from one team pranking a player from the other.  AJ Pierzynski, who is the most public face of the White Sox, was supposed to shoot his with Barrett.  He refused, and instead did one with – you guessed it - Carlos Zambrano.

But Zambrano seemed labeled after the Lee incident.  This year, he tiraded after being pulled from a game against the Braves.  That ultimately lead to his pending dismissal from the Cubs.

Zambrano is certainly not the ace he once was, but he is a better pitcher than Lackey.  If the Sox do want to dump Lackey, this is one of their better chances to do it.  I wouldn’t touch Zito, who is not much better of a pitcher, cannot stay healthy,  and has full no-trade protection and has always expressed a desire to not go to the East Coast.  And since Barry thinks of Chicago as the East Coast (he does!), he probably thinks Boston is located in Europe.

Where else would you send Lackey?  Another potential match dump is to the Angels for Vernon Wells.   Wells could replace JD Drew in RF, and in also in our hearts. The Angels might not want Lackey back, but certainly would move Wells (2 yrs $46mill) to create an opening in the OF for hotshot rookie Mike Trout, who is easily the best Angels OF named after a fish since Tim Salmon.

My bet would be Lackey is in Boston in 2012.  Hopefully he can put 2011 behind him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: send lackey to the cubs : Who do you suggest pitch in those games?
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

I don't know their name but the girls who work the foul balls in left and right may be pretty good alternatives?? LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: send lackey to the cubs : Who do you suggest pitch in those games?
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

I suggest Justin Verlander and Roy Halladay...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i still think Lackey could toss a gem in a playoff game...he's been there before...as for trading him - who would want him for that salary??? (or any salary)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

So we should trade one underachieving hothead for another?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]So we should trade one underachieving hothead for another?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

That other hothead, by the way, was banished to a middle relief role last year and went to the bullpen without a word.  Would Lackey do that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to send lackey to the cubs:
    [QUOTE]how about sending lackey to the cubs for zambrano and money your thoughts
    Posted by leeang143[/QUOTE]

Said it b4, Lackey and Crawford to the Cubs as a pre-requisite for Theo joining them. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to send lackey to the cubs : Said it b4, Lackey and Crawford to the Cubs as a pre-requisite for Theo joining them. 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You also said you want Duquette back.  You live in a very small, sheltered world...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lol and those that think I am serious live in a very very small box.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]lol and those that think I am serious live in a very very small box.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I don't think you are serious..

But I do think you live in a cave with walls smeared with your own .... well you get the idea.  

I also think you spend your days dressed in your underwear fighting crime with superpowers you never actually possessed, and that you like to shave birds and have a collection of deodorants from around the world.

Am I close?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

No. Dan was on WEEI and I thought it interesting for the sake of conversation to wonder in an Alternate Timeline D.D being re-hired. How would he oversee the team going forward, - other forums have alternate timeline threads and they can be a lot of fun. Not sure it works here though.