SERIOUSLY... Is BERNIE WILLIAMS a HALL of FAMER?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: SERIOUSLY... Is BERNIE WILLIAMS a HALL of FAMER?

The bar for the Hall has already been lowered too much. Let's not lower it any further.  Bernie Williams was a good player, who had a nice career.  He is not a HOFer. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

With me and Pete Rose it's a matter of even handedness.

Rose as a manager of a MLB team placed bets on games.

Didn't throw games he gambled and placed bets.

This is all that has been proven or as far I know the crux of the charges against Rose.

We are not talking the Black Sox scandal, we're not talking about games or the WS being thrown for money.

Pete Rose is not Shoeless Joe Jackson.

So imo the punishment is a little over the top for Rose.

Life banishment from the game ok.

In terms of a livelyhood what do you think this has cost Rose?

His livelyhood consists of traveling the country signing cards at card shows.

Is this enough punishment for his crime?

I think so.

He belongs in Cooperstown for his years as a player.

Didn't throw games

I don't think we know that

if he didn't bet tonight and saved /rested his best BP guys

is that throwing a game ?

is the fact that he didn't bet a tip to the bookies

to act accordingly

IMO it doesn't really matter what he did exactly

my concern is what the public thinks he might of done

if they think the game is fixed

why won't they think mlb is like wrestling

a joke

Has not been proven is good enough for me.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

Center fielders          25

Left fielders              21

Right fielders            21

Not accurate unless you are combining LF and RF together which would be illogical.

CFs are more valued from Little League up through the major leagues. They are normally faster, quicker, more athletic, than other players.

[/QUOTE]

Below you'll see all the Hall of Fame outfielders, broken down by position, and whether they were elected by the BBWAA or the Veterans Committee (or Old-Timers Committee). The BBWAA has elected 11 left fielders and 13 right fielders, but only seven center fielders. Doesn't that seem a little unfair, especially since center field is the more demanding defensive position? I think two things have happened: 

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/31978/the-underappreciated-bernie-williams

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

Why not start a Pete Rose thread. I thought that this thread was about Bernie Williams? Pete Rose has been discussed on this forum for years. It is redundant and boring.

Who died and made you boss?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

For you pike. Jeter's latest gf.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

This is all that has been proven or as far I know the crux of the charges against Rose.

We are not talking the Black Sox scandal, we're not talking about games or the WS being thrown for money.

I think so.

Didn't throw games

to act accordingly

a joke

Has not been proven is good enough for me.

GM Gents,

I'll start with, I too think Rose deserves to be based on his playing career, inducted into the Hall. I also support his lifetime ban for gambling. Which is as Zac stated more eggregous than peds in terms of the harm it can cause the sports credibility and trust with the very people that support the game. We the fans.

Perhaps Selig in his infanate wisdom can come up with a solution to this. By simply having them honor his playing career with a plaque but not allowing him to particiapte in the ceremony in Cooperstown nor should he be given mementos that are part of the pagentry of the inductions (plagues, jackets with the MLB logo on them, etc). What some of you may not know is that Rose is one of the hottest commodities in Cooperstown each year in the week leading up and the weekend of the ceremony.

On a personal note: I and my son met Rose while in Cooperstown playing in a week long baseball tournament at Dream Parks. We stood in line in one of the many baseball shops in the town that have former MLer and Hall of Famers that set up autograph tables with memorabillia for sale. I too thought of him as a bit crass, however I found Rose to be very engaging and accomodating. He actually spent the better part of 10 minutes chatting with my son about hitting and in particular his experience during his time in the big leagues too include meeting and talking hitting with Ted Williams. A chat that still today resonates with him and helped him to become a better, more confident hitter. We also met Yogi Berra and many of the inductees that year in similar situations...All of whom make a nice living during the week leading up to the ceremony.

As for Bernie...I would agree he deserves to be honored by the Yanks, but is not worthy of HOF status...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Bernie was a great baseball player, but not a HOF.  The same goes for Posada, Varitek and Wakefield. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I think so.

Didn't throw games

to act accordingly

a joke

Wow! i hope you don't live your life concerned with what other people think. People will believe whatever suits them, truth or not.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Hall Of Fame is for tourists.

Real fans of baseball, football, hockey, basketball or Rock 'n' Roll will tell you who was great and who wasn't.

You don't need these amusement park museums if you hnow who's who. These are for the casual observer...and fro someone to make money by exploiting someone else's talent.

Pete Rose was a terrific player, he may be a jerk as a human being , I can't really judge as I don't know him ( althoug I get the impression he is) , but what we know about Carlton Fisk is that he also is a bad example of a human being. One is in the Hall, one isn't. Based on a personal problem in his personal life. Lawrence Taylor is an indisputed NFL Hall Of Famer, not a very nice person, either.

All a matter of someone else's choice....not mine or yours.

can't let that one slide zill

if the subject is baseball

pete rose broke the golden rule

the one posted in every clubhouse

worse than roids or anything fisk did

when it comes to potentially hurting the game

Zac,

You and I have disagreed on this before.

I respect your opinion however Pete Rose has been banned from the game for life for betting on games while a manager of a MLB team.

I agree with that punishment.

But on the other hand I feel he belongs in the hof for how he played the game and for the records he holds.

How much blood can you extract from one man?

Pete Rose deserves to be in the hall. 

I agree. How can you keep the all time hits king out of the baseball HOF? It's kind of like not voting in the lifetime HR leader on the first ballot. Oops...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

No, Bernie Williams is not a Hall of Famer.  He will need to get a lot more votes before ever becoming one.

And his career simply does not merit getting 75% of the vote.  "Multiple ballot appearances" is probably his ceiling

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

In response to notin's comment:

No, Bernie Williams is not a Hall of Famer.  He will need to get a lot more votes before ever becoming one.

And his career simply does not merit getting 75% of the vote.  "Multiple ballot appearances" is probably his ceiling

Nope, 1 appearance is definitely his ceiling, since he didn't receive enough votes to stay on the ballot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Helloitsmeagain's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Nope, 1 appearance is definitely his ceiling, since he didn't receive enough votes to stay on the ballot.

He got 9.6% last year, so he already has had multiple appearances on the ballot...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

He got 9.6% last year, so he already has had multiple appearances on the ballot...

[/QUOTE]

My bad, totally forgot. Good call.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Loved Bernie even though he was a Yankee. Not  a HOF. Mattingly would go in before Bernie.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Hall Of Fame is for tourists.

Real fans of baseball, football, hockey, basketball or Rock 'n' Roll will tell you who was great and who wasn't.

You don't need these amusement park museums if you hnow who's who. These are for the casual observer...and fro someone to make money by exploiting someone else's talent.

Pete Rose was a terrific player, he may be a jerk as a human being , I can't really judge as I don't know him ( althoug I get the impression he is) , but what we know about Carlton Fisk is that he also is a bad example of a human being. One is in the Hall, one isn't. Based on a personal problem in his personal life. Lawrence Taylor is an indisputed NFL Hall Of Famer, not a very nice person, either.

All a matter of someone else's choice....not mine or yours.

Zilla besides the recent DUI(which is not good) what else has Fisk done to say he is not a good human being? I haven't heard anything else. Many of us have probably been boderline or DUI drivers.

Sections
Shortcuts