SERIOUSLY... WHY LET OKI GO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

SERIOUSLY... WHY LET OKI GO?

oki has been on a roll. i dont believe he has allowed a run in his last 3 or 4 appearances. he was throwing it with his old velocity and control. everything they had asked him to do he had done. he even was throwing 1 or 2 different pitches to get hitters guessing who had been figure him out. he may come back to haunt us. if i'm tampa, phillies, orioles, blue jays or the YANKS, i am giving him a call!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Re: SERIOUSLY... WHY LET OKI GO?

Hopefully the Yankees or Rays call him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IT WAS TIME !!!  HE WAS LIMITED AT BEST !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to SERIOUSLY... WHY LET OKI GO?:
    [QUOTE]oki has been on a roll. i dont believe he has allowed a run in his last 3 or 4 appearances. he was throwing it with his old velocity and control. everything they had asked him to do he had done. he even was throwing 1 or 2 different pitches to get hitters guessing who had been figure him out. he may come back to haunt us. if i'm tampa, phillies, orioles, blue jays or the YANKS, i am giving him a call!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

CC- I agree, in the sneaky spirit of the karma chameleon that is baseball, if someone in the Beast picks Oki up, he will most certainly, absolutely, without a doubt, come back to haunt the Red Sox.

However, I can see why they made the move.  Its not like he was getting it done and was not being used in high leverage situations.  This pen needs tinkering.  Unfortunately, with Jenks having no options and a giant contract, Rich Hill pitching great (though perhaps over his head), and Aceves and Wake, given the rotation health issues, being invaluable at this point, Oki was the most tinkerable.  I will be sad if someone else snares him.  I love Okajima.  Cry

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ramon wahts his face made most of you eat your words last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

The better question is why did he ever even come back?  Even if on a Minor League contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: SERIOUSLY... WHY LET OKI GO?:
    [QUOTE]Ramon wahts his face made most of you eat your words last year.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  Ramirez fizzled. But isn't that just the nature of bullpen arms?  So often they are really good for a year or two, and then lose their mojo.  Why would you even need to express this FACE sentiment over a guy like Ramirez?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Get the guy back to AAA and let him continue to be emergency depth.  A week or two when the pen gets hurt or burned out isn't the end of the world...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]The better question is why did he ever even come back?  Even if on a Minor League contract.
    Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]i agree. he must really love it here. he took a pay cut and went to the minors while being submissive (unlike dice) to all their suggestions. u dont reward loyalty that way. oki deserved to be giiven the chance to play more of the bard role. or atleast the old alan embree role as the leftie setup guy. someone will get a steal. no way if i am him will i go back to the minors as a depth-emergency guy. they have had the need with both jenks and wheeler out and have passed. they just dont like him., just not into him! time to move on!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

You know you do have the right to remain silent, correct?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

Let me guess MDC will have a resurgence for half a season and it will erase 2 years of futility?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

hey bbenton! where ya been son? glad to see you back on the forum.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Before you hit the "Add your reply" button, try the spell checker which says ABC on it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

8.1 innings pitched, 7 hits allowed, 4 base on balls.

These are not good numbers.

That's why.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

They let him go because they and every fan out there held their breath and crossed their fingers when he came in.  He was great in 2007 and good in 2008 but he is not good now.  Its a business and the business is to win games.  Its a good move.  No one will claim him and he may end up back in Pawtucket.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Well a few reasons. His WHIP is still very high for a reliever. They needed guys who could get LH hitter out and the splits while small sample sets are awful against LH hitters (.916 OPS).

And the RS do have the advantage of seeing these guys BP side sessions and know the relative "health" of their arms.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

He is Japanese.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]oki has been on a roll. i dont believe he has allowed a run in his last 3 or 4 appearances. he was throwing it with his old velocity and control. everything they had asked him to do he had done. he even was throwing 1 or 2 different pitches to get hitters guessing who had been figure him out. he may come back to haunt us. if i'm tampa, phillies, orioles, blue jays or the YANKS, i am giving him a call!

The problem with Oki right now is that he's terrible against righties, passable against lefties, and has mediocre command.  He might have success elsewhere, but he's not one of the best seven relief options on the team right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]8.1 innings pitched, 7 hits allowed, 4 base on balls. These are not good numbers. That's why.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]minus his first appearance, he was very solid. he got rocked. came down from 27.00 ERA al the way to 4.32. most teams will take that. i will bet you someone will claim him!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

[QUOTE]hey bbenton! where ya been son? glad to see you back on the forum.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

lying under a rock somewhere in BFE

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffh102082. Show jeffh102082's posts

He was okay at best, first year with us - very dominant.. He pitched very well and won a world series with us... Since then, Not reliable.. I am not sad to see him go..  It's time to move on, hopefully this pickup from Colorado will work out well for us and I think maybe we need to give some of these other guys a chance.. 

Nobody is lights out everytime, Okajima wasnt and alot of the guys with us right now havent been but they show signs that they can be very good. I love Hill, think he's a nice addition.. Albers has been very good. Alceves has been good too and he can be alot better. (sox are really high on him, he dominated us when he was with the Yankees on a few occasions)  We must not worry too much about the Okajima stuff, it's so small really.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

I dont quite get this post the worst that can happen is he gets picked up by someone and tanks their season instead the real question is why did we let Oki come back? His bread and butter was deception which he no longer has he has no velocity and very sparatic movement if you ask me he has a "dead arm" or the fools way of saying he is no longer capable of performing his duty.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

If Oki is gone, and he was a likeable player...Rice-Cake won't be far behind.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He should of been cut in 09. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

He might have success elsewhere, but he's not one of the best seven relief options on the team right now.

When DiceK and Lackey come off the DL, tell the Board who are the best 7 relief options right now.

Here are Oki's outings, after coming off the DL last year through his DFA this year:

8-29-10  .2 inning 1 Hits 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 1 K 1 BB 0 HR

9-02-10  .1 inning 0 Hits 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 0 K 0 BB 0 HR

9-04-10   1 inning 1 Hits 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 1 K 0 BB 0 HR

9-05-10  .1 inning 1 Hits 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 0 K 0 BB 0 HR

9-06-10   1 inning 0 Hits 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 1 K 0 BB 0 HR

9-08-10   1 inning 1 Hits 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 0 K 1 BB 0 HR

9-11-10   .1 inning 0 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs  0 K 0 BB 0 HR

9-14-10   .2 inning 0 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 1 K 0 BB 0 HR

9-18-10   2 inning 0 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 0 K 0 BB 0 HR

9-20-10   1 inning 0 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 0 K 0 BB 0 HR

9-21-10   .2 inning 0 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 2 K 0 BB 0 HR

11 straight outings 9 Innings 4 Hits 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs  6 K 2 BB 0 HR

9-25-10   1 inning 1 Hit 1 Runs 1 Earned Runs 1 K 0 BB  1 HR

9-26-10   .1 inning 2 Hit 1 Runs 1 Earned Runs 0 K 2 BB 0 HR

9-29-10   1 inning 0 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 1 K 0 BB 0 HR

10-02-10  1.1 inning 1 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs 2 K 1 BB 0 HR

15 outings 12.2 Innings 8 Hits 2 Runs 2 Earned Runs 10 K 5 BB 1 HR

2010 post DL ERA  1.47 WHIP 0.574

2011 Outings:

4-19-11  .2 Innings 2 Hit 3 Runs 3 Earned Runs  1 K 1 BB 0 HR

4-26-11 .1 Innings 0 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs  0 K 0 BB 0 HR

4-29-11 1 Innings 0 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs  0 K 2 BB 0 HR

4-30-11 1.2 Innings 0 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs  1 K 0 BB 0 HR

5-02-11 .2 Innings 1 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs  0 K 0 BB 0 HR

5-04-11  2 Innings 2 Hit 1 Runs 1 Earned Runs  1 K 0 BB 0 HR

5-09-11  2 Innings 2 Hit 0 Runs 0 Earned Runs  3 K 2 BB 0 HR

8.1 Innings 7 Hit 4 Runs 4 Earned Runs 5 K 5 BB 0 HR 4.32 ERA WHIP 1.48

22 outings since coming off DL:

21 Innings 15 Hits 6 Runs 6 Earned Runs 15 K BB 10 1 HR

ERA 2.57  WHIP 1.19

Now, do these outings look like a guy who should be DFA?