Seven Inning ballgames ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Seven Inning ballgames ?

Great news! Then they can reduce ticket prices,  what you pay for concessions, salaries, profits, etc.

Ain't happenin'.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lol jete.

the more important questions are:

1.  when would we sing "take me out to the ballgame"?

Right after The National Anthem

B.  when would we play "sweet caroline"?

Never

III.  what inning would "last call" be??????

See B

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MLB exec suggests games should be shortened to 7 innings 

[/QUOTE]

Every year we play this "baseball is too long,  we gotta shorten it somehow" game.

I just don't get it.  If it's too long for you...  don't watch.  Catch the highlights on SC or MLBTv. 

When I heard Kornheiser & Wilbon discussing this yesterday on PTI I could'nt help roll my eyes and want to throw something thru my tv screen.  They say baseball thinks it's holier than thou because it's the only un-timed sport of the 4 majors,  and something needs to be done to speed it up.  These 2 are basketball junkies and are critical of the length of a Sox/Yanks game EVERYTIME a series comes up.  EVERYTIME.  It's pathetic.  Does anyone talk about the fact that the baskets need to be raised,  or dunking should not be allowed now that players are taller than in the old days when the game was invented?

Baseball's doing fine,  otherwise owners would'nt be able to pay so many of the better players upwards of $20 million dollars a year.   Quit discussing how to change it just so the talking heads can get to bed earlier.  It's working just fine how it is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

I feel better.  Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I feel better.  Wink

[/QUOTE]

Nice rant!

Are attention spans so short that kids can't handle 9 innings any longer?

One of the worst ideas I've heard.

If they want to speed up the game, keep the batters in the box and enforce the time limit on pitchers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

7 inning games would reduce ticket prices by 78%. 

Seriously, my long-running main gripe about ML baseball isn't the length of the games or season; it's that there are too many teams and not enough quality players to go around. This is also true of the other 3 major sports. I'd love to see the number of teams reduced to 20. Ten in each league. 

Good luck with that ever happening; the Players' Union would fight that with hook and claw. There would be a lot of unemployed ballplayers out there. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If they decide to play 7 innings of baseball, they better bring down ticket prices as well.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they decide to play 7 innings of baseball, they better bring down ticket prices as well.  

[/QUOTE]

Would never happen like that. Reduce what the consumer gets. Charge more for it.

The corporate way.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

While this makes sense from a practical POV; shorter games, less injuries, trying to lure younger crowds, etc; I believe the traditionalists shall win this one.

Case in point; the distance from the mound to the plate was supposed to be 60 feet, but in the 19th century someone made a six inch mistake; it was never fixed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great news! Then they can reduce ticket prices,  what you pay for concessions, salaries, profits, etc.

Ain't happenin'.

[/QUOTE]

Concessions are usually closed by the 7th inning anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And football games would have fewer injuries if they only played 3 quarters, but it’s not going to happen.  

If baseball wants to shorten games, the first step would be to actually call strikes.   There are also rules in place for how long a pitcher has between pitches.  These could be enforced.

MLB probably does need to shorten the season, because, let’s face it, when the post-season runs into November, that’s just too long (so says one of the biggest baseball junkies in North America.)   At some point, some northern city is going to see World Series games postponed due to blizzard activity.

First thing, bring back Sunday double-headers.  For a long time in MLB, every team played 2 games on Sunday.  Bring that back and make Sunday the all-day baseball festival that football is now.   This would also help TV, as ESPN would have multiple options for their Sunday night telecast, rather than being stuck with a late-season match up they thought would be significant, but turns out to be rather mundane and unimportant.  Yeah, September that Rangers-Rays matchup might have looked like a scheduling bonanza in February, but what if both teams are scuffling and loaded with marquee talent on the DL?   I know they shuffle games around now on occasion, but that is complicated, and unfair to ticket holders who made their plans based around a game starting at a certain time.  

If MLB did this, they could keep the 162 game schedule and still knock over 3 weeks off the regular season all while eliminating playing those all important final games of the World Series in potentially cold late October / early November weather.   They should also stop those early March games as well, especially those regular season games that are played in the pre-season but in other countries.   I mean, does MLB really need exposure in Japan?   They started the season there a few years ago in a country that is well aware of MLB and has a dedicated following of the Japanese players in the USA.   MLB is NEVER  going to start the regular season only in warm weather cities.  Early April games have the best attendance of any part of the season, and MLB does not want to give this unfair attendance advantage out on an annual basis solely based on geography.

Of course,  Sunday double headers this would actually increase injuries unless MLB expanded the active roster by up to 3 players.   The Player’s Union would have very little gripe about this scenario, as it means 90 more players making the league minimum (or more), thus giving more money to the players.  Owners might gripe, although realistically some teams might actually find themselves saving a little cash as many of those trades where they pay a player to play for another team are now suddenly unnecessary.  Bury the guy on your own bench!  Also, expanding the 25-man roster would also necessitate expanding the 40-man roster by the same number of players (minimum), allowing them to retain more of their homegrown talent.   While the player’s union might gripe about the impact on the Rule 5 draft, the overall impact is actually pretty limited anyway, as this really only affects about 5 players per season as opposed to the 90 who now find themselves with MLB job that they would not have had otherwise.

Another thing baseball needs to do if they want to eliminate injuries is re-invent the scouting process and talent evaluation.   A big, big part of the reason younger pitchers requiring Tommy John surgery with greater frequency is they grow up with the mindset that radar gun readings translate into scholarships and signing bonuses.   However, the short term windfall is too often getting offset by the missed seasons.    As the 95-mph fastball by age 18 is really not a requirement to pitch in MLB, teams might need to re-evaluate what pitchers represent the least long-term risk factor, and what abilities really do translate to MLB success.  Is velocity more important than control or, more important, command?    It is extremely common right now for baseball to reward younger kids who really do nothing but destroy their ligaments as they attempt to impress.   And the millions upon millions given to them very frequently is nothing more than a sunk cost.

Nominate notin for Bud Selig’s replacement! I promise 2 games every Sunday and fewer snow-outs and cold-weather muscle pulls!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ain't happenin'.

[/QUOTE]

Concessions are usually closed by the 7th inning anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Alcohol sales, yes. Concessions, not always.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

"MLB probably does need to shorten the season, because, let’s face it, when the post-season runs into November, that’s just too long (so says one of the biggest baseball junkies in North America.)   At some point, some northern city is going to see World Series games postponed due to blizzard activity."  notin

I knew I was not alone. Even 20 games off the season, with more double headers would allow for the Series to be played in early October..... and more Saturday DAY GAMES for the World Series would be nice...... You probably could expand the play-offs a round under this scenerio to (we all know they are going to expand at some point).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i think increasing the roster by 3 or cutting the season by two weeks/14 games would make the season better...and of course sane starting times for all games   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think increasing the roster by 3 or cutting the season by two weeks/14 games would make the season better...and of course sane starting times for all games   

[/QUOTE]

Rosters won't be increased due to the cost, or it would have happened a long time ago' it's an axe grinder for the owners vs the PA.

Amazing they even recently allowed a 26th player for twin bills; which are rare these days to begin with

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

"MLB probably does need to shorten the season, because, let’s face it, when the post-season runs into November, that’s just too long (so says one of the biggest baseball junkies in North America.)   At some point, some northern city is going to see World Series games postponed due to blizzard activity."  notin

I knew I was not alone. Even 20 games off the season, with more double headers would allow for the Series to be played in early October..... and more Saturday DAY GAMES for the World Series would be nice...... You probably could expand the play-offs a round under this scenerio to (we all know they are going to expand at some point).

[/QUOTE]

I don't want fewer game, just more double headers.

The "Saturday day game" thing would be nice, but bear in mind games would not be televised except on Fox, who controls all MLB broadcasting during that time block...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Dropping 8PM start times for every game would help to.... in fact no game should start after 6:05PM on the East Coast.

Except that, on the east coast, a lot of people don't get home until 7:30.  If you work late, or go to the gym, or have kids with activities, or need to fix dinner or do stuff around the house, you'd be lucky to start watching the game by 7:30.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It  will never happen, nor should it. Which isn't to say there aren't real methods that can be taken to shorten the games, which have gotten completely out of hand. I was at a high school  game the other day that went 10 innings and lasted 2 hours and 40 minutes. Probably because there were no commercial breaks, pitchers didn't take 45 seconds between pitches.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't want fewer game, just more double headers.

The "Saturday day game" thing would be nice, but bear in mind games would not be televised except on Fox, who controls all MLB broadcasting during that time block...

[/QUOTE]

Hi notin I do prefer to cut games, at least back to the ol' 154. Records could still be in play.... but as important a goal to me is shortening the season start/end dates. If that can be achieved via double headers then great.

I am infatuated with the idea of Game One of the WS beginning at 12:05PM on the first Saturday of October...