Seven Inning ballgames ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Seven Inning ballgames ?

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

what are they trying to do? turn the big leagues into the little leagues?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

A change that radical in any sport just ain't gonna happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I understand why the idea has been put out there..... I don't agree though, at least not at this point. I think a shorter season, say by 40 games, makes far more sense.

In the above article it talks about lack of quality pitching, and a growing amount of injuries.... I think 40 less game would be more effective in curing that.

Of course the main point of the idea of seven innings is to shorten the games.... 

18 minutes of live action in a 3 hour game.... no kidding. Keeping David Ortiz in the batters box might help but it won't shorten the games that much.

I think if the season started April 20 and ended right after Labor Day and with the WS starting October 1st... that would cure a lot of the people believing that baseball games are not just long but the entire experience is far far too long.

Dropping 8PM start times for every game would help to.... in fact no game should start after 6:05PM on the East Coast.

Something has to give. 

For the sole purpose of limiting injury, yes that would be effective, but it could never happen.  No way that MLB, and the owners, and the players too, will forgoe the lost revenue of cutting out 40 games.   That is 40 less games to sell tickets, food, commercial space etc etc etc.  It would greatly reduce profits all around baseball.

If anything, they should consider increasing the 25 man roster to to 26/27 players.  That would be almost as effective, but wouldn't cut into profits nearly as much. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

increase the roster to 26/27 players

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If the 2011 season was shortened by 40 games, then the Red Sox would have easily clinched the AL East.   I know,......that was a joke in very poor taste.   Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I admit I'm not really bothered by the supposed plague of long baseball games.

I think I'll keep my 9-inning games and 162-game seasons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No way that will happen.  Other ways to speed up games without messing with tradition, including statistics. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

My "lol" above was for Ice-Cream. Funny dude.

Thank you RigatoniT   Laughing

Speaking of ice cream, Ben & Jerry's is giving out free ice cream today.  Last year when I went for free ice cream, I waited in line for 30 minutes.  LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I understand why the idea has been put out there..... I don't agree though, at least not at this point.

at 1st the thought made me angry

but I will admit it has some merit if your goal is to attract new fans

that said

no thanks the record books R a big part of the game

I think a shorter season, say by 40 games, makes far more sense.

In the above article it talks about lack of quality pitching, and a growing amount of injuries.... I think 40 less game would be more effective in curing that.

Of course the main point of the idea of seven innings is to shorten the games.... 

I C no merit in the idea of shortening the season to attract new fans

if you need 2 expand the rosters ok

18 minutes of live action in a 3 hour game.... no kidding. Keeping David Ortiz in the batters box might help but it won't shorten the games that much.

18 minutes of live action ain't so bad

NFL games have 11 minutes of live action

Dropping 8PM start times for every game would help to.... in fact no game should start after 6:05PM on the East Coast.

sorry burrito

but I always get a kick out of it

when fans think they know more than the network guys

who are paid to study and decide such things

Something has to give.

Y

while  shorter game times would be helpful

BB is doing pretty good these days

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

26 would be great 14 position players and 12 pitchers. This way you have a full bench and a full bullpen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

No way .....  I will say that REPLAY will have an adverse effect on the Time & game ... Just go out & play the game...

Yes because things like blown prefect games don't tarnish the brand.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

26 would be great 14 position players and 12 pitchers. This way you have a full bench and a full bullpen.

I would even go with 13/13....but that is my opinion.  Then again, that would be the beauty of having the extra spot, you can fill it according to your teams needs.  Some teams may elect to have an extra pitcher on there while others may feel that having an extra position player would fit their team needs better. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

ONLY for all Sunday night Yanks/Sox games Tongue Out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

lol jete.

the more important questions are:

1.  when would we sing "take me out to the ballgame"?

B.  when would we play "sweet caroline"?

III.  what inning would "last call" be??????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Sure, and how about a switch to cricket bats? Games will be over in about 20 minutes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Great news! Then they can reduce ticket prices,  what you pay for concessions, salaries, profits, etc.

Ain't happenin'.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lol jete.

the more important questions are:

1.  when would we sing "take me out to the ballgame"?

Right after The National Anthem

B.  when would we play "sweet caroline"?

Never

III.  what inning would "last call" be??????

See B

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Every year we play this "baseball is too long,  we gotta shorten it somehow" game.

I just don't get it.  If it's too long for you...  don't watch.  Catch the highlights on SC or MLBTv. 

When I heard Kornheiser & Wilbon discussing this yesterday on PTI I could'nt help roll my eyes and want to throw something thru my tv screen.  They say baseball thinks it's holier than thou because it's the only un-timed sport of the 4 majors,  and something needs to be done to speed it up.  These 2 are basketball junkies and are critical of the length of a Sox/Yanks game EVERYTIME a series comes up.  EVERYTIME.  It's pathetic.  Does anyone talk about the fact that the baskets need to be raised,  or dunking should not be allowed now that players are taller than in the old days when the game was invented?

Baseball's doing fine,  otherwise owners would'nt be able to pay so many of the better players upwards of $20 million dollars a year.   Quit discussing how to change it just so the talking heads can get to bed earlier.  It's working just fine how it is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

I feel better.  Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

I feel better.  Wink

Nice rant!

Are attention spans so short that kids can't handle 9 innings any longer?

One of the worst ideas I've heard.

If they want to speed up the game, keep the batters in the box and enforce the time limit on pitchers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

7 inning games would reduce ticket prices by 78%. 

Seriously, my long-running main gripe about ML baseball isn't the length of the games or season; it's that there are too many teams and not enough quality players to go around. This is also true of the other 3 major sports. I'd love to see the number of teams reduced to 20. Ten in each league. 

Good luck with that ever happening; the Players' Union would fight that with hook and claw. There would be a lot of unemployed ballplayers out there. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If they decide to play 7 innings of baseball, they better bring down ticket prices as well.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

If they decide to play 7 innings of baseball, they better bring down ticket prices as well.  

Would never happen like that. Reduce what the consumer gets. Charge more for it.

The corporate way.

Sections
Shortcuts