Seven reasons Red Sox should get Jon Lester deal done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

By Peter Abraham
     | Globe Staff   July 07, 2014 

Jon Lester is the Red Sox’ only representative at the MLB All-Star Game.
    Ignore for a moment the public posturing about talks being on hold and consider these reasons why Jon Lester will agree to a contract extension with the Red Sox before the end of this season — perhaps before the end of this month.

This list is based on recent conversations with people involved in the situation.

1. Lester still wants to stay in Boston: The lefthander would have preferred getting a deal done in spring training, but that hasn’t changed his stance about wanting to stay with the Red Sox. Every comment he has made about the situation has been measured, on-message and positive about the Red Sox. What ultimately matters in these situations is what the player wants and he still wants to sta

2. This is getting to be bad business for the Red Sox: Lester has a 2.73 earned average, a 1.15 WHIP, a 2.75 FIP and a 146 ERA-plus. He’s having the best season of his career and every great start raises the price a little and adds to whispers from friends telling him he could get $150 million on the market. Lester made the All-Star team and Justin Masterson, Max Scherzer, and James Shields didn’t. The All-Star team isn’t always an indication of much, but it is this time. Lester is having his best year at the best time.

3. The Red Sox desperately need some good news: This season is a wreck and it’s not going to change much. Signing Lester would be a sign that the team is stable and the right steps are being taken to be contenders next season. The longer Lester stays in limbo, the worse it looks. It’s better to be a lousy team going in the right direction than a lousy team with no idea who will start on Opening Day in 2015.

4. CC Sabathia’s career is in trouble: In case you missed the news, Yankees lefthander CC Sabathia is not expected to pitch again this season because of his right knee. Sabathia could need microfracture surgery and that would be career threatening. If Lester becomes a free agent, the Yankees will be first in line with an offer he can’t refuse. This will not be Jacoby Ellsbury going down the street for a contract that is going to look awful in a few years. This will be a powerhouse lefty pitching every five days for your rival and kicking your behind around Fenway Park two or three times a year.

5. Lester is showing he will age well: It’s reasonable to think the Red Sox should be cautious about giving a long-term deal to a 30-year-old with 238 starts and just shy of 1,500 innings under his belt. But Lester is pitching well with a four-seam fastball that is averaging 93 miles per hour, down from the 94-95 he had earlier in his career. How he pitches suggests he will be successful another three or four seasons. If the Sox pay for one sub-par season in 2019, that’s the cost of doing business. The Red Sox coaches and baseball operations people believe Lester is a good investment.

6. Lester would be difficult to replace: If the Red Sox are not willing to pay Lester, then they’re certainly not going on the market to pay even more for a free-agent ace they don’t know as well. If Lester leaves, here is the rotation for next season: John Lackey ticked off about making the league minimum, Clay Buchholz and three question marks. Or is that four question marks given Buchholz’s fragile health? It’s great the Red Sox have a bunch of starter prospects and surely a few of them will be good. But there are no guarantees about Brandon Workman, Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster, Anthony Ranaudo, Matt Barnes, or even Henry Owens. But a rotation with Lester at the top offers stability and he would be a good role model for the young pitchers.

7. Lester has reasonable people representing him: Sam and Seth Levinson are the same agents who represent Dustin Pedroia. The second baseman signed his extension last July after talks started in spring training. They are agents who make deals, not agents who take their clients to free agency.

The Red Sox made this process more difficult by testing the limits of Lester’s loyalty with a lowball offer of $70 million during spring training. Maybe that was worth a shot, but now is the time to get this done. Lester starts on Thursday and then not again until after the break. That’s seven days to make a deal. It’s something both sides want and the Red Sox need.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Seven reasons Red Sox should get Jon Lester deal done

Well said Pete!

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

#6 is all that needs to be said.

other names i have posted under:  none

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

#2 couldn't be said any better.  I'm getting the impression that Red Sox FO wants too much discount from our home grown players.  They think every home grown players are like Pedey.  I hope the FO gets the deal done fast.  Do not tick off Lester.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree with all 7 thoughts.

But #6 is the one I am worry the most.  You dont want the Sox to substract good pitcher and have the Yankees add a good pitcher.  That is almost two pitcher turn around between two clubs especially both are in the same division.  

I am sure that all front management staffs will not let him to go to the Yankees!!!   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree with all 7 thoughts.

But #6 is the one I am worry the most.  You dont want the Sox to substract good pitcher and have the Yankees add a good pitcher.  That is almost two pitcher turn around between two clubs especially both are in the same division.  

I am sure that all front management staffs will not let him to go to the Yankees!!!   

[/QUOTE]

U R sure ? or just hoping really bad ?

reason 6b

Clay Buchholz

how much does what he does the 2nd 1/2 effect the motivation to keep lester

even if he has a great 2nd 1/2 can U or management trust him for next yr

any interest in  trading clay even on the low side and using that money for lester

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I am beginning to believe that we should offer Lester what he wants: five years at $24M per year. Workhorse pitchers who have a history of staying healthy and a career ERA well under 4 with an ERA+ of 119 do not grow on trees. I think we need him to anchor the younger pitchers as they mature. Usually I do not like longer term deals like this, but this needs to get done. He said he would talk during the season for that kind of offer. They should do it and get it over with.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Reason #8 -- he's homegrown talent, loyal to the Sox, and has a great story having survived cancer to pitch a no hitter and win to WS Championships here. Not to mention a complete game one hitter with no walks, nearly perfect game in 2013.

If Mike Mussina and Andy Pettite have a shot at Cooperstown, so will Lester. I think he'll pitch for ten more years, fading badly only in his last two. Sox should offer him 6 years + two team options.

"Who would have guessed it possible that waiting is sustainable, a place with its own harvests -- or that in time's fullness the diamonds of patience couldn't be distinguished from genuine brilliance or hardness." --Kay Ryan.

"Everything is happening, all the time, very fast. I like that." -- Warren Ellis

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

All great points.  I really believe that Lester wants to stay in Boston and that he will be reasonable in his contract demands.   Get it done Ben!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

ONE BIG REASON not to do it?  All the do nothing player bittcching about it not happening.

Having said that, I wanted it done before the start of the season.  Now, it's gonna cost big money, with no home town discount.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

All great points.  I really believe that Lester wants to stay in Boston and that he will be reasonable in his contract demands.   Get it done Ben!

All great points. I really believe that Lester wants to stay in Boston and that he would of been reasonable in his contract demands. don't blow it ben!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ONE BIG REASON not to do it?  All the do nothing player bittcching about it not happening.

Having said that, I wanted it done before the start of the season.  Now, it's gonna cost big money, with no home town discount.

[/QUOTE]

Lester already said he would give a hometown discount, RRDD. I think it will be in the number of years, not dollars.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Lester already said he would give a hometown discount, RRDD. I think it will be in the number of years, not dollars.

[object HTMLDivElement]

If I were Lester, I'd want the discount in dollars, not years. I'd want to have a commitment from the Sox to keep me in Boston until I was ~ 38 y/o, at a reasonable price. At the level he's going to get paid -- the difference between 100 million and 125 million -- all the extra $$$ is gravy; but the stability and respect that comes from playing your whole career in Boston...that's priceless. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that's a great article. And all true. Get this done. Don't let him go somewhere else to do great things while everyone thinks about what could have been.

By Peter Abraham
     | Globe Staff   July 07, 2014 

Jon Lester is the Red Sox’ only representative at the MLB All-Star Game.
    Ignore for a moment the public posturing about talks being on hold and consider these reasons why Jon Lester will agree to a contract extension with the Red Sox before the end of this season — perhaps before the end of this month.

This list is based on recent conversations with people involved in the situation.

1. Lester still wants to stay in Boston: The lefthander would have preferred getting a deal done in spring training, but that hasn’t changed his stance about wanting to stay with the Red Sox. Every comment he has made about the situation has been measured, on-message and positive about the Red Sox. What ultimately matters in these situations is what the player wants and he still wants to sta

2. This is getting to be bad business for the Red Sox: Lester has a 2.73 earned average, a 1.15 WHIP, a 2.75 FIP and a 146 ERA-plus. He’s having the best season of his career and every great start raises the price a little and adds to whispers from friends telling him he could get $150 million on the market. Lester made the All-Star team and Justin Masterson, Max Scherzer, and James Shields didn’t. The All-Star team isn’t always an indication of much, but it is this time. Lester is having his best year at the best time.

3. The Red Sox desperately need some good news: This season is a wreck and it’s not going to change much. Signing Lester would be a sign that the team is stable and the right steps are being taken to be contenders next season. The longer Lester stays in limbo, the worse it looks. It’s better to be a lousy team going in the right direction than a lousy team with no idea who will start on Opening Day in 2015.

4. CC Sabathia’s career is in trouble: In case you missed the news, Yankees lefthander CC Sabathia is not expected to pitch again this season because of his right knee. Sabathia could need microfracture surgery and that would be career threatening. If Lester becomes a free agent, the Yankees will be first in line with an offer he can’t refuse. This will not be Jacoby Ellsbury going down the street for a contract that is going to look awful in a few years. This will be a powerhouse lefty pitching every five days for your rival and kicking your behind around Fenway Park two or three times a year.

5. Lester is showing he will age well: It’s reasonable to think the Red Sox should be cautious about giving a long-term deal to a 30-year-old with 238 starts and just shy of 1,500 innings under his belt. But Lester is pitching well with a four-seam fastball that is averaging 93 miles per hour, down from the 94-95 he had earlier in his career. How he pitches suggests he will be successful another three or four seasons. If the Sox pay for one sub-par season in 2019, that’s the cost of doing business. The Red Sox coaches and baseball operations people believe Lester is a good investment.

6. Lester would be difficult to replace: If the Red Sox are not willing to pay Lester, then they’re certainly not going on the market to pay even more for a free-agent ace they don’t know as well. If Lester leaves, here is the rotation for next season: John Lackey ticked off about making the league minimum, Clay Buchholz and three question marks. Or is that four question marks given Buchholz’s fragile health? It’s great the Red Sox have a bunch of starter prospects and surely a few of them will be good. But there are no guarantees about Brandon Workman, Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster, Anthony Ranaudo, Matt Barnes, or even Henry Owens. But a rotation with Lester at the top offers stability and he would be a good role model for the young pitchers.

7. Lester has reasonable people representing him: Sam and Seth Levinson are the same agents who represent Dustin Pedroia. The second baseman signed his extension last July after talks started in spring training. They are agents who make deals, not agents who take their clients to free agency.

The Red Sox made this process more difficult by testing the limits of Lester’s loyalty with a lowball offer of $70 million during spring training. Maybe that was worth a shot, but now is the time to get this done. Lester starts on Thursday and then not again until after the break. That’s seven days to make a deal. It’s something both sides want and the Red Sox need.

[/QUOTE]