Shane Far Superior Player to Ellsbury: Why are Red Sox Fans So Dilluded About Ellsbury?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Shane Far Superior Player to Ellsbury: Why are Red Sox Fans So Dilluded About Ellsbury?

that is a pathetic statistical analysis

1)  they are different players - where are the SB's?

2)  they play 2 different positions

3)  OPS is weak because it has OBP and SLG% - those are 2 different types of players - break that out..............Ells is your OBP guy, Vic you want more extra base power......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Shane Far Superior Player to Ellsbury: Why are Red Sox Fans So Dilluded About Ellsbury?

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I've never said Ellsbury was "garbage". Read the thread, my dear friend.

No doubt true.  But in the OP you exaggerate about all these threads gushing over Ellsbury, which is nonsense and hasn't happened. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dillusion

AHAHAHAHA..ahahahahaah

did...you...just...quote....the...urban dictionary????

you railed on another poster for using websters online and here you are using UD.  you are a joke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

that is a pathetic statistical analysis

1)  they are different players - where are the SB's?

2)  they play 2 different positions

3)  OPS is weak because it has OBP and SLG% - those are 2 different types of players - break that out..............Ells is your OBP guy, Vic you want more extra base power......

Where did I say its a thorough statistical analysis? Nowhere. They are both CF: Vic is playing out of position in RF. There are lot of other statistic to consider as well, of course. I doubt you will find statistics that make Ellsbury a better deal by $5M per year than Victorino. If you think you can make that case, go for it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

AHAHAHAHA..ahahahahaah

did...you...just...quote....the...urban dictionary????

you railed on another poster for using websters online and here you are using UD.  you are a joke.

And I thought he was making it up!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

So, let us parce out whether this is a contract issue or a talent issue.

If it is a contract issue, sure Shane is great value (ironic that certain people should be lauding this value after pummeling the signing, but I digress) and Ellsbury will be a bad long-term value to say the least.

But, if it is about perforamnce, as the OP suggests, it seems pretty clear that this is an AND not an OR proposition.  I love having BOTH of them.  The combination of their skills makes for an unbelievable exciting and multi-faceted contender.  I don't care who is better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

it's just another stupid thread

nothing to see here

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Softy is so ridiculous.  Here he's dismissing Ellsbury's great 2013 postseason numbers.  On another thread he's making a big deal out of Drew's 2013 postseason numbers. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Shane is terrific, but about as good overall as Ellsbury.  They have similar WAR ratings, but right now, not including the postseason, I think Victorino's is higher.

But the comparison is off base in another fundamental way.  What redsoxfireman fails to see is the value of having both of them in the lineup together.  Both are fast and can steal bases and hit around .300.  Shane has more power, but Jake has more hits, runs, and way more SB's, the most in the AL/MLB.  Together they are an excellent 1-2 punch.  In the outfield their combined speed covers a lot of territory.  And the far better arm, Vic's, is where it can do the most good, RF.  If Ellsbury weren't likely to cost way too much, the smart move would be to re-sign him.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bogaerts .684

Sample size isn't small, it's atomic. 

Drew to the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I chose a sample that suited me.  You lose.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It's a fact that Shane is a superior baseball player. Look at the numbers!

Gee, six months ago you were berating the Sox "incompetent" management for signing "Old Man Victorino".

I'm not the only one who remember that, right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Most threads and posts are gushing over "Ellsbury MVP of season and ALDS" and "we must resign him". Shane has shown just how overrated Ellsbury is. Shane is better in every phase of the game, other than speed on the bases, where Shane has over 20 steals himself! 

Please, come to your senses and post an admission that Shane is a way better baseball player than Ellsbury, and base your value of Ellsbury at less than 13M a year. 

Thank you.

Ellsbury will get > $100M.

Vic signed for $39M/3.

Ergo, Ben Cherington made an absolute genius signing.

Thanks for reminding everone.

14. This post has been removed.