Shane Victorino Batting Right-Handed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Shane Victorino Batting Right-Handed

Can anyone tell me why Victorino batted right-handed vs a righty today?  I am sorry if this was mentioned during the game, but I had to watch intermittently with the sound off due to being on the phone.  I also checked his stats and noticed he had 3 AB as a righty vs a righty this year, so this seems to be something new.  Has he suddenly given up being a switch-hitter?  I don't know.  If someone knows or has heard something, I would appreciate the info.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Shane Victorino Batting Right-Handed

In response to fizsh's comment:

Can anyone tell me why Victorino batted right-handed vs a righty today?  I am sorry if this was mentioned during the game, but I had to watch intermittently with the sound off due to being on the phone.  I also checked his stats and noticed he had 3 AB as a righty vs a righty this year, so this seems to be something new.  Has he suddenly given up being a switch-hitter?  I don't know.  If someone knows or has heard something, I would appreciate the info.

He probably saw something in Arizonas plan of attack against him in the first AB because I think he made the change before the run in with the wall.  If not that may have had some impact on his decision.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

Fizch, he dinged his left side against the wall trying to make a catch.  That was probably the reason for switching over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Thanks.  I would have thought the Extra Bases blog would have at least said something

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Surprising that the announcers did not speculate on the reason. It seemed to me that he got dinged up on the wall in right. Made it uncomfortable to hit lefty. Orsillo and Remy should have followed up on it. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Surprising that the announcers did not speculate on the reason. It seemed to me that he got dinged up on the wall in right. Made it uncomfortable to hit lefty. Orsillo and Remy should have followed up on it. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

DG, I watched the game on TBS, and the announcers there did speculate. They thought it was because of the awkward swing he took in his last at bat last night. Remember when he swung and missed the high pitch and winced? They brought up hitting the wall too, and also wondered if there was no injury, there might be some unknown strategy behind it. No definitive answer was given, but I tend to think it was what happened Saturday night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

DG, I watched the game on TBS, and the announcers there did speculate. They thought it was because of the awkward swing he took in his last at bat last night. Remember when he swung and missed the high pitch and winced? They brought up hitting the wall too, and also wondered if there was no injury, there might be some unknown strategy behind it. No definitive answer was given, but I tend to think it was what happened Saturday night.

Could be, but he did bat lefty in his first at bat.  I do think the TBS announcers are more objective than Orsillo and Remy. It was strange to see Shane batting right handed. Would like an explanation. Actually, he did very well as a righty. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

As I said, the sound was off so I do not know if the announcers mentioned it.  I just found it odd that he did that, but see he did that at least one other time this year (3 ABs).  He got a couple of hits today though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

See the article on NESN.com on Victorino. It explains why he was batting right. Combo of strategy and injury.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This is his quote from NESN.com (and I hope crediting NESN means I'm not violating any copyright laws).  I post this because it's given as a direct quote and I'm skeptical that this is exactly what he said:

“Honestly, I didn’t think I was going to land that way on the wall,” Victorino said. “I honestly didn’t think that when the ball was up there and I thought I had a chance, and obviously I did. I put a glove on it. One thing that was on my mind, and that was to catch it. I didn’t think of what and where I was going to end up. Obviously, looking back on it, it wasn’t the best position when I did hit the wall and how I looked and landed uncomfortably. But again, it’s one of those things any time we get a chance to make an out, I’m going to try to make it.”

I doubt that this is a direct quote because there's not ONE SINGLE "Ya know" in there.  Cool

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

they did. they even showed the replay of him banging on the wall after they speculated as to why he was batting righty against a righty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

they did. they even showed the replay of him banging on the wall after they speculated as to why he was batting righty against a righty.

If they made the connection between hitting the wall and batting righty, I missed it. They might have. I did not catch every comment. I do think it was worthy of more attention on their part.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This is his quote from NESN.com (and I hope crediting NESN means I'm not violating any copyright laws).  I post this because it's given as a direct quote and I'm skeptical that this is exactly what he said:

“Honestly, I didn’t think I was going to land that way on the wall,” Victorino said. “I honestly didn’t think that when the ball was up there and I thought I had a chance, and obviously I did. I put a glove on it. One thing that was on my mind, and that was to catch it. I didn’t think of what and where I was going to end up. Obviously, looking back on it, it wasn’t the best position when I did hit the wall and how I looked and landed uncomfortably. But again, it’s one of those things any time we get a chance to make an out, I’m going to try to make it.”

I doubt that this is a direct quote because there's not ONE SINGLE "Ya know" in there.  Cool

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Yeah, thats a quote from the article I was talking about.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Yup, I saw that too.

Sections
Shortcuts