Shane Victorino everything you should have hoped Ellesbury to be!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Shane Victorino everything you should have hoped Ellesbury to be!

What I will say is---every day the Sox go without trading Ells is a day closer to him being unmoveable by the trade Deadline.

The Angels, Mariners, Giants and perhaps the Dodgers may be the teams to concentrate on to move both Ells and Lester. The other team is Red Sox West---Oakland. I don't know for whom--that's up to JF and BC. 

If you make that trade soon enough--especially to Oakland--Beane may feel he has enough time to flip both for some decent prospects before the deadline.

I don't believe Stanton or Lee or Pap are in the cards but freeing up space for JBJ or Webster and perhaps getting Balfour to close could possibly re-shape the pen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The other team is Red Sox West---Oakland. I don't know for whom--that's up to JF and BC. 

If you make that trade soon enough--especially to Oakland--Beane may feel he has enough time to flip both for some decent prospects before the deadline.

I don't believe Stanton or Lee or Pap are in the cards but freeing up space for JBJ or Webster and perhaps getting Balfour to close could possibly re-shape the pen.

Wouldn't make much sense for the contending A's to trade their closer for prospects.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Two centerfielders, but very different.  Ellsbury's 2011 surpasses anything Victorino ever did.  A lot to like about Victorino, but Ellsbury has good qualities too.

I'm pretty sure the Sox FO has no intention of trading Ellsbury.  Why should they when he is the starting centerfielder, leads MLB in SB's, is really hitting the ball now, and, the Sox have the best record in the AL? 

Too many contributors to this board play way too much fantasy baseball so all they can think about is making a deal to dump or acquire multiple players when the smart move is a minimalist approach. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

The other team is Red Sox West---Oakland. I don't know for whom--that's up to JF and BC. 

Wouldn't make much sense for the contending A's to trade their closer for prospects.

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with the Balfour argument but the A's have other closer types and Balfour's three year deal is up this year and he becomes a FA. I think Ryan Cook was the closer before Balfour and could be the closer of the future when Balfour goes to greener pastures.

It's just a thought--this is a nice article about the A's and their bullpen. The A's are tied with Texas in the West and the Sox are currently two up on the Yankees.

If you could get an experienced closer and drop Bailey back to set-up and free up Taz, Ue, Miller, Morales  and Breslow to do the heavy lifting it might strengthen the whole pitching component.

https://www.numberfire.com/mlb/news/895/dominant-bullpen-carrying-the-oakland-a-s

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

while were at it, why dont we just wish that Ells had the same numbers as ted williams??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

What I will say is---every day the Sox go without trading Ells is a day closer to him being unmoveable by the trade Deadline.

The Angels, Mariners, Giants and perhaps the Dodgers may be the teams to concentrate on to move both Ells and Lester. The other team is Red Sox West---Oakland. I don't know for whom--that's up to JF and BC. 

Why trade Ellsbury when you are the best team in the American League?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Why trade Ellsbury when you are the best team in the American League?

[/QUOTE]

The Sox lost a game.

Someone must be shipped out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I don't care about windows. I care about now. And at the moment, Ellsbury is playing better than Victorino.

Though the Sox's best outfielder this year clearly has been Daniel  Nava.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Part of the "Moneyball" concept involves the idea that closers are replaceable. The A's have a long history of trading their closers or picking up draft picks when they walk to free agency.

I'm not saying they will deal their closer this year, but it is certainly possible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Part of the "Moneyball" concept involves the idea that closers are replaceable. The A's have a long history of trading their closers or picking up draft picks when they walk to free agency.

I'm not saying they will deal their closer this year, but it is certainly possible.

[/QUOTE]

How often have the A's been at the top of their division, when they've done it?

I would think that makes a difference.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Maybe they could trade Crisp. An outfield of Crisp, Elles, and Victorino with Jackie as the 4th outfielder in August for the stretch run.

And Daniel Nava?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Maybe they could trade Crisp. An outfield of Crisp, Elles, and Victorino with Jackie as the 4th outfielder in August for the stretch run.

Their outfield right now of Ells, Victorino, nava and Carp looks pretty good to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Two centerfielders, but very different.  Ellsbury's 2011 surpasses anything Victorino ever did.  A lot to like about Victorino, but Ellsbury has good qualities too.

I'm pretty sure the Sox FO has no intention of trading Ellsbury.  Why should they when he is the starting centerfielder, leads MLB in SB's, is really hitting the ball now, and, the Sox have the best record in the AL? 

Too many contributors to this board play way too much fantasy baseball so all they can think about is making a deal to dump or acquire multiple players when the smart move is a minimalist approach. 

Amen

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Look up the numbers and tell me you wouldn't love Elles to have had the numbers the same 6 year span that Shane did. 

That's all.

Player A  .293/.347/.433/.781

Player B  .276/.342/.434/.777

Practically identical.  So, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

[QUOTE]

Their outfield right now of Ells, Victorino, nava and Carp looks pretty good to me.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I think the point you're missing is that the RS have the best record in the league, and the 3rd best OF in WAR.  So we need to break up the team.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Ells is one of the most disruptive players in the leage--Rob Bradford last night.

Ells is a very good player. He has been reduced to:

1. A singles hitter that will steal 2B and possibly at 3 B. There is a player on the Jays that essentially does the same thing Rajai Davis for a lot less money and has more power than Ells.

2. Ells is a good CF'der but is not going to risk life or limb this year.

3. Ells cannot throw and to my recollection hasn't been much of a thrower in his career.

It is my hope the Sox trade him before the deadline and promote JBJ. Whatever they get for him in prospects should be better than perhaps a draft pick which will require them to make a QO of $14 M or better. 

Victorino is as good a CF'der as Ells, has a much better arm, has more power, is as good a leadoff hitter that can steal bases perhaps not to the degree Ells can.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Look up the numbers and tell me you wouldn't love Elles to have had the numbers the same 6 year span that Shane did. 

That's all.

Player A  .293/.347/.433/.781

Player B  .276/.342/.434/.777

Practically identical.  So, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Really? So u account for doubles, triples, games played, stolen bases in those silly trio of stats of yours?

This really wasn't about knocking Elles and lets face it you and most were chirping about his 30+ homer potential the last 2 years... the point of the thread is to show just how good Shane is and how great it would have been if Elles could have matched those numbers rather than what he has done and opposed to the salivation over the idea of him being some mega-power hitter.

Find a thread where I was chirping about the HRs.

And I've always been a Vic fan.

And I still don't get the thread.  You're comparing two players who are almost eeriely identical players, and asking why Ellsbury was everything Victorino was.