Shane Victorino

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Shane Victorino

Jon Heyman reports the Red Sox are one of three teams in on Victorino...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/momentum-building-toward-deal-for-victorino.html

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Shane Victorino

Perfect fit. Plays all three spots. Can hit lead ofSheehan jacoby goes.  Good positive vibe with good arm.  I'd rather sign him then Ross or swisher(who would cost a draft pick). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Rather him than Swisher

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Perfect fit. Plays all three spots. Can hit lead ofSheehan jacoby goes.  Good positive vibe with good arm.  I'd rather sign him then Ross or swisher(who would cost a draft pick). 

Great person to add to the clubhouse....versatile speed  good glove.... whats not to like other than age maybe but I too would rather have him than Ross and swisher....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I think he would be a good guy to sign for all the reasons already stated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

For ten millions dollars a year per his demand, better sign him for one or two years.  No longer than that!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

rumored deal red sox offered is 3 years $38 mil

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

too much money for a guy that cant hit anymore

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I'm not so sure why we need 3 yrs of Victorino.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

rumored deal red sox offered is 3 years $38 mil

now i would say no way!!!!!!

He first wanted 10 million dollars a year....Boston can just try to give him 8 millions dollars a year!!!  2/16 or 1/9mm sound right!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Another thing is that Boston did wanted Haren, but is not willing to give him 13 million dollars a year.  So how can Boston is willing to give Victorino 12 mm a year??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Am I missing something? I thought we needed some starting pitching!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Another thing is that Boston did wanted Haren, but is not willing to give him 13 million dollars a year.  So how can Boston is willing to give Victorino 12 mm a year??

Because Haren is not going to make it through a full season. He lost velocity & has a long history of injuries. Some guy are just never healthy for very long. It will also get worse as he ages & the recovery period lengthens.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sources tell exact term is 3 yr $37.5M .  I think FO is focusing too heavily on just years. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i hope we get victorino, he can bat leadoff and we can move ells down to the middle of the order where he belongs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i hope we get victorino, he can bat leadoff and we can move ells down to the middle of the order where he belongs.

I don't think it's wise to sign 3 yrs of Victorino just to have Ells bat in the middle of order for 1 yr.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

not the only reason to sign him. while i would rather him be here on a 2 year deal i am OK with 3 years... hes a great ballplayer and would be our CF'er and lead off hitter in 2014-15 if ells is not resigned. JBJ is still just a prospect and should not be counted on to be MLB ready by the time 2014 rolls around..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes

Red Sox in "driver's seat" for Victorino, baseball source says. "Nothing done yet, but getting close,'' source says.

I think that he is a fine addition, but a bit of an overpay for him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:

Gordon Edes ‏@GordonEdes

Red Sox in "driver's seat" for Victorino, baseball source says. "Nothing done yet, but getting close,'' source says.

I think that he is a fine addition, but a bit of an overpay for him.

I agree with other pro Flyin Hawaii-in posters, a good team guy, can still play and three years helps us ease in Bradley and fills a gap if and when Ellsbury and his agent  take their marbles elsewhere.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I dont see the logic in 3 years and 38 mm for Victorino who is 32 and has averaged 260, 15hr and 60 RBIs the last 3 years, while not going hard for Hamilton for 4/5 years.......has money becoome such an issue for this team?....they are well under the Cap.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I dont see the logic in 3 years and 38 mm for Victorino who is 32 and has averaged 260, 15hr and 60 RBIs the last 3 years, while not going hard for Hamilton for 4/5 years.......has money becoome such an issue for this team?....they are well under the Cap.

I agree.  Unless, and this is just totally wishful thinking, they get Victorino for less/shorter because there is a magic move in the works packaging Ellsbury/catcher-of-choice/top prospects opf choice for, say, Felix H. (LOL, will people pleeeeeaaase stop mentioning him in fantastical trade proposals??).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to poprox13's comment:

too much money for a guy that cant hit anymore

I agree, I do not like it at all. What did he hit 11 homeruns and a 255 average, come on, not at 38 million, no, no, no.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Sounds like a deal that Victorino won't refuse. This move makes a ton of sense to me. Yes the dollars sound high. But according to fangraphs, he was worth 18.8 million a year the last 5 seasons and 20.8 million in just the last two years on average. Based on those numbers, he is a steal at 12.5. Of course you have to buy into WAR, wonder what the drop off to RF will be and hope last years OPS was an abberation and not an aging trend.

Victorino is the older version of Carl Crawford in theory. Only for 3 years instead of 7, 12 million instead of 20, and for right field instead of LF. Plus better attitude and better fit for the park offensively and defensively. Plus  CF versatility. But a little worse hitter.

Victorino is basically the same age as Cody Ross. Victorino has had a better OPS on average the last 3-4-5 seasons then Ross. And was basically tied over the last two years. With the ability to play CF, and better defense and speed, he is clearly the better value.

Some are concerned about Victorino's offense vs. righties. I think it just means if you cut back on him facing tough righties on occasion like Ross did, Victorino's numbers will only improve. And by the 3rd year, you have a GREAT righy platoon guy, pinch hitter, pinch runner, defensive replacement,  and good attitude for the bench. He will have very solid value even if he fades as a player, unlike Cody Ross.

Wish it was 10 million a year. But I definately prefer Victorino to Cody Ross. Not even close.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Sounds like "packaging" Ells down the road is a realistic possibility given the pending acquisition of Victorino...He is a good all-around ballplayer, and should hit and field well in Fenway...Good move by BC, even though, like every FA that gets signed this year, you feel like you are parting with more dinero than you want to....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I like the idea-of a "switch" at the top of the order. Ells would not take $13-let him go with Lester for a starting pitcher. 

Sign Ichiro to play RF--give both JBJ and Brentz a yr. at AAA.

Go after Lohse and Marcum. Trade Lava and a prospect for Gavin Floyd.

We are ready to compete.

Sections
Shortcuts