Shane Victorino

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Shane Victorino

His OBP has been below .328 for 2 of the last 3 years, but his career .341 OBP is not too bad.

I was shocked at this deal, and to me, it only makes sense if we deal Ellsbury, but then again, I have been for trading Jacoby for quite some time now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some of you guys sound like you are on Ben's payroll , the way you try to spin things.  Basically , we have replaced Reddick with Ross and now with  Victorino. We replaced AGon with Napoli. We replaced Papelbon with Bailey. We replaced Crawford with Gomes. We replaced Beckett with ?????    We lost 93 games last year , and look worse right now.  How can you not see that ?   It seems that your only answer is to complain about the complainers. 

[/QUOTE]

AGon, Beckett, and Crawford were gone by the time the team quit. If you can't see how this is a better team than the one from September you are blind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Career OPS:

vs LHPs: .881

vs RHPs: .732

(At least CC had the goos split vs the pitchers that we will be facing over 60% of the time.)

I'm glad the guy can field. I was a bit worried about having Gomes, Nava and maybe Cody Ross taking 2 OF slots for most of the innings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the signing...another high motor guy, who comes to play, that's a good all around ball player...13M per is not a ton of money and 3 years is not an eternity.

Look's like a decent line-up....add Ross to the mix to be the everyday leftfielder and we're right back in the mix in terms of our ability score....

Rumor has it that the Sox are looking at making a deal to aquire Llyod from the White Sox in exchange for Salty? If they make those two moves we're a lock to win 90 games and if Lester returns to form and we get a full season out of Buccholz. I think we'd be right back in the hunt for all the marbles...

CF Ellsbury

RF Victorino

2B Pedrioa

DH Ortiz

1B Napoli

3B Middlebrooks

C Ross/Salty

SS Iglesias

LF Kalish/Gomes

[/QUOTE]

Hey Bean, I'm not liking that lineup with guys like Salty and Iggy in it.  We need to put better players out there if we intend to improve.  Hopefully our pitching makes up for things because our team OBP isn't looking any better. 

That won't get it done!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

This signing is just throwing money away and reminds me of Jose Offerman back in 1999. Is Cherrington kidding giving this guy 39 million dollars and why would you want him for 3 years?  Could have had this guy a lot cheaper than this. Napoli I am okay with although, not in love with, Gomes theyoverpayed on him, and now Victorino (255 and 11 homeruns). I would rather they saved the money and went after Hamilton. With these guys we are rattling at 4th place. Ben get your head out of your butt. Guess Cody Ross is off the board for Boston. Unless this team picks up a pitcher and a hitter at least I will save money on the baseball package in 2013 instead of watching this disaster of a team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Career OPS:

vs LHPs: .881

vs RHPs: .732

(At least CC had the goos split vs the pitchers that we will be facing over 60% of the time.)

I'm glad the guy can field. I was a bit worried about having Gomes, Nava and maybe Cody Ross taking 2 OF slots for most of the innings.

[/QUOTE]

Good siging to back up Ells in the event of injury, or replace him if we can land another big bat somewhere else.  Otherwise?  I'm still wondering

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Been advocating this for a while, though slightly more expensive than I had hoped for.  Next step, imho, is Ells for Lee.  If we could do that, our lineup would be-

• Victorino
    • Pedey
    • Ortiz
    • Napoli
    • WMB
    • Salty
    • Ross
    • xxx-RF
    • Iglesias

Our rotation would be-

• Lee
    • Lester
    • Buchholz
    • Doubront
    • Lackey

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Victorino does not hit right handers at all. I am not crazy about this signing at all.

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Been advocating this for a while, though slightly more expensive than I had hoped for.  Next step, imho, is Ells for Lee.  If we could do that, our lineup would be-

• Victorino
    • Pedey
    • Ortiz
    • Napoli
    • WMB
    • Salty
    • Ross
    • xxx-RF
    • Iglesias

Our rotation would be-

• Lee
    • Lester
    • Buchholz
    • Doubront
    • Lackey

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

• Victorino
    • Pedey
    • Ortiz
    • Napoli
    • WMB
    • Salty
    • Ross
    • xxx-RF
    • Iglesias

Our rotation would be-

• Lee
    • Lester
    • Buchholz
    • Doubront
    • Lackey

[/QUOTE]

It may just be me Joe but I don't see that lineup and staff making us contenders.  I think its funny how Ciriaco is getting the "feel good story" and nothing else.  Iggy and Salty cant hit, Gomes and Victorino are no better than what we had, so unless Napoli and Ross catch until Lav is ready and we find a real 1B, or sign a guy like Hamilton.

No real improvement by just getting Lee in my opinion because every other starter has question marks attached. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

• Victorino
    • Pedey
    • Ortiz
    • Napoli
    • WMB
    • Salty
    • Ross
    • xxx-RF
    • Iglesias

Our rotation would be-

• Lee
    • Lester
    • Buchholz
    • Doubront
    • Lackey

[/QUOTE]

It may just be me Joe but I don't see that lineup and staff making us contenders.  I think its funny how Ciriaco is getting the "feel good story" and nothing else.  Iggy and Salty cant hit, Gomes and Victorino are no better than what we had, so unless Napoli and Ross catch until Lav is ready and we find a real 1B, or sign a guy like Hamilton.

No real improvement by just getting Lee in my opinion because every other starter has question marks attached. 

[/QUOTE]

that lineup may not....but go Bold....and do the Lee deal and the rotation is more than Solid.....go bolder and Add Hamilton......and with Gomes/Kalish platoon, Victorino and Hamilton, in the OF, Wills, Iggy, Pedey, and Napoli, Catcher platoon of who doesnt get traded and Papi as DH.....and that is the best all around team in the AL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

• Victorino
    • Pedey
    • Ortiz
    • Napoli
    • WMB
    • Salty
    • Ross
    • xxx-RF
    • Iglesias

Our rotation would be-

• Lee
    • Lester
    • Buchholz
    • Doubront
    • Lackey

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that lineup may not....but go Bold....and do the Lee deal and the rotation is more than Solid.....go bolder and Add Hamilton......and with Gomes/Kalish platoon, Victorino and Hamilton, in the OF, Wills, Iggy, Pedey, and Napoli, Catcher platoon of who doesnt get traded and Papi as DH.....and that is the best all around team in the AL.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe 3rd or 4th best.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some of you guys sound like you are on Ben's payroll , the way you try to spin things.  Basically , we have replaced Reddick with Ross and now with  Victorino. We replaced AGon with Napoli. We replaced Papelbon with Bailey. We replaced Crawford with Gomes. We replaced Beckett with ?????    We lost 93 games last year , and look worse right now.  How can you not see that ?   It seems that your only answer is to complain about the complainers. 

[/QUOTE]

AGon, Beckett, and Crawford were gone by the time the team quit. If you can't see how this is a better team than the one from September you are blind.

[/QUOTE]

I know AGon , Beckett and Crawford were gone. Why were they traded ? To save money to spend on Ross , Napoli and Victorino ? Is that an improvement ? Are any of the deals I mentioned an improvement ?  You say I am blind. I am not blind. I can clearly see a last place ballclub. What do you see ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Ellsbury is gone before the end of the winter meetings. It has to be soon. I also think that they overpaid for Victorino. Seems like he would have taken 3/30 or 3/33. Maybe he was going to wait for more offers and the Red Sox wanted to lock him up quick.

C Ross would have cost less, but Victorino is the better fielder. He has to be covering CF in someone's plan.

Ells and a prospect for C. Lee

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no way sox trade ellsbury for lee, but ells for pitching does make sense and makes the victorino signing more palatable. victorino plays center, then maybe sox will sign hamilton for rf. things should get interesting real soon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Dickey

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

At least Lee is signed for more than 1 year... but the price is ungodly!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if Ellsbury is gone before the end of the winter meetings. It has to be soon. I also think that they overpaid for Victorino. Seems like he would have taken 3/30 or 3/33. Maybe he was going to wait for more offers and the Red Sox wanted to lock him up quick.

C Ross would have cost less, but Victorino is the better fielder. He has to be covering CF in someone's plan.

[/QUOTE]

The indians offered Victorino 4/44 he took one less year in exchange for a Higher AAV.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Hey Bean, I'm not liking that lineup with guys like Salty and Iggy in it.  We need to put better players out there if we intend to improve.  Hopefully our pitching makes up for things because our team OBP isn't looking any better. 

That won't get it done!

[/QUOTE]
    I agree and I doubt that the pitching rotation is going to save the Sox.  I like Lester but he's no sure thing and then there's Lackey, Dice-K, etc.  I don't think Cherington is doing a good job so far this off-season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to joyceand's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That won't get it done!

[/QUOTE]
    I agree and I doubt that the pitching rotation is going to save the Sox.  I like Lester but he's no sure thing and then there's Lackey, Dice-K, etc.  I don't think Cherington is doing a good job so far this off-season.

Dice-K is gone... 

It's

Buch

Lester

Lackey

Doubront

Morales

de la Rosa, Motensen, Webster, Tazawa...

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty & Breslow for Floyd

Ellsbury for a prospect or two

"Prospect or two", Bradley, Aceves, Morales, and Cecchini (+ any not top 10 prospect) for J Upton

Sign McCarthy $23M/3

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The indians offered Victorino 4/44 he took one less year in exchange for a Higher AAV.

[/QUOTE]

This is what some are not seeing. They are working within their budget still, but get 3 years instead of 4. Thats how it works.

We needed some good defense in the OF to balance out with Gomes in LF. Makes me wonder if a trade involving Ells has already been talked about. Still waiting for the full plan to unfold. So far, all good players and good clubhouse guys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the plan is Victorino, but if Ells gets traded or hurt, CF's covered.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I missing something? I thought we needed some starting pitching!

[/QUOTE]

I think BC move will be the pitching now. 1B and OF is filled in, It looks like Mccarthy could be the man BC is eyeing. Lester Buch Mccarthy Lackey Doubront. I would like to see Masterson back in Boston. Masterson on the bottom after Doubront. Start the season with six man rotation. Wait and see how Lackey responds from his Tommy John. Morales and Acevez will be good strength in the bull pen and replacement for starters, just in case.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

victorino....woooooohoooooo!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the plan is Victorino, but if Ells gets traded or hurt, CF's covered.

[/QUOTE]

They wanted some better defense, as well as a guy who can play CF if Ells is inolved in a trade. Which I believe he could be.

Sections
Shortcuts