Shane Victorino

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Shane Victorino

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and than there's this...

The Sox are among the teams interested in free agent starters Ryan Dempster and Kyle Lohse.

[/QUOTE]

Lohse maybe, Dempster Im not sold on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Dont like dempster and not thrilled with lohse either. rather see a trade for a pitcher. these 35 yr olds want contracts till theyre 38...No thanks. these would be the first moves I wouldnt like if they were made.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dont like dempster and not thrilled with lohse either. rather see a trade for a pitcher. these 35 yr olds want contracts till theyre 38...No thanks. these would be the first moves I wouldnt like if they were made.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox should have put out a little and got Gio Gonzalez last winter--younger guys with a chance for a long future. But wait, they couldnt take a risk on them, as competitive as the ALE is, one or two slip ups or busts on young guys like that and before you know it youre in last place. Er, wait, nevermind.......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox should have put out a little and got Gio Gonzalez last winter--younger guys with a chance for a long future. But wait, they couldnt take a risk on them, as competitive as the ALE is, one or two slip ups or busts on young guys like that and before you know it youre in last place. Er, wait, nevermind.......

[/QUOTE]

haha...Good one.

I think a trade would be the way to go exam. SV gives them more OF flexability. Im sure theyve had/having talks involving Ellsbury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

haha...Good one.

I think a trade would be the way to go exam. SV gives them more OF flexability. Im sure theyve had/having talks involving Ellsbury.

[/QUOTE]

Man I'd like to see him in Cincy, hes just what they need, but the Sox will want a SP, and I dont think the Reds are parting with SP's this winter, at least thats what Jocketty said. Mike Leake would be about all youd get from them, I dont think theyd even move Bailey for Ellsbury because I have the funny feeing Homer Bailey is about to bust out into one of the best pitchers in the NL. I could be wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is hard to have much faith right now.  The team is not very good , and Ben's moves do not inspire any confidence  that things will be better next year. But then again , I am only a "whiner " who lacks patience.  What do I know ?  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

These signings almost seem like banking for the future to me, in two ways.  One, they provide a bridge, with no longterm issues.  Two...  Would anyone be surprised, if sometime in the middle of a season (if the Sox suck it up on the field), these guys aren't traded as pieces for a team looking to contend, while the Sox keep restocking.  None of them are bad.  None of them are great.  I do see that they give a lot of versitility, if not a lot of oomph.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Three years of a .250 hitter that's past his prime? Not crazy about it.

[/QUOTE]

I believe theres groundwork already laid for an Ellsbury trade. JBJ might not be ready until sometime in 2014 and Victorino is insurance. Hes solid defensively for that big RF in Fenway and works the count at the plate. Sure its a bit of an overpay, but the tribe offered 4/44 for him. Boston paid a couple million extra to make it 3 years.

I like the move because I believe another will/can be made because of this one.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. Would like to see him shipped to the Reds if he has to go, but the Reds will not trade pitching for him, which is what the Sox would want.

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury and Salty for Corcino, Cingrani and Chad Rogers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Victorino can barely hit.

Sox are hellbent on trading Ellsbury - how much have they spent on Gomes, Napoli, and Victorino? 

What a waste of dolars when you need pitching and resources to sign your CF.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

....how much have they spent on Gomes, Napoli, [Ross] and Victorino? 

... about the same yearly cost as CC & Beckett.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Ugh.

Gomes, Victorino, and Napoli cash should have been used to sign Ellsbury.

3 mediocre players who are terrible hitters do not equal 1 MVP type player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis*. Show beavis*'s posts

Could be a sign Ells all but traded. Salty, Ells and prospect for Mauer. I see Minny wants to get rid of Ben Revere and wants a centerfielder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to beavis*'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Could be a sign Ells all but traded. Salty, Ells and prospect for Mauer. I see Minny wants to get rid of Ben Revere and wants a centerfielder.

[/QUOTE]

If Mn trades Mauer, it would be to rebuild. They would not want 2 players who will bolt after 2013.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs columnist Matt Klaassen on Shane Victornino's splits versus righthanded and lefthanded pitching:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/shane-victorino-and-platoon-panic/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox are hellbent on trading Ellsbury - how much have they spent on Gomes, Napoli, and Victorino? 

[/QUOTE]

surely you can see how stupid this post is. they have tried to lock jacoby up long term and he (as well as boras) said he wants to test free agency. hell, i'm the biggest jacoby fan on the planet and i can see this. get your head out of your colon and come to terms. jacoby will not sign before he hits FA.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now we have 2 platoon players at a total cost of $18M/yr.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

bump

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

surely you can see how stupid this post is. they have tried to lock jacoby up long term and he (as well as boras) said he wants to test free agency. hell, i'm the biggest jacoby fan on the planet and i can see this. get your head out of your colon and come to terms. jacoby will not sign before he hits FA.

[/QUOTE]

You are an idiot and know nothing about how to manage people.

When you spends every off season either shopping the guy or bringing in other CFs you are sending the wrong message.  When you question the guy's injuries - question his commitment - leak stories about how he shouldn't rehab in Arizona - you are not doing your team any favors.

They have spent millions on CFs not named Ellsbury!  Instead of sitting him down years ago and saying - you are one of our cornerstones let's get this done.

They could have signed Ellsbury 3 seasons ago. 

They still could have signed him last year. 

The Sox management has failed miserably on this. 

"Jacoby we really want you back - meet shane victorino!"

It's a joke.  And you are clueless.  Typical loser mentatlity crying about boggeyman Boras.

Boras will do what the player tells him to do.  But the player has watched this team with no commitment to him;  he has seen the parade of million dollar CFs signed. 

When Theo left - Cherrington could have said "My #1 priority is signing Ellsbury - we should have done that years ago - he is a foundational piece just like perdroia"

Evert heard that?  Nope.

We instead get Cameron, Crawful, and Victorino.  Every year a new CF signed!

That is why Ellsbury is unsigned.  TERRIBLE management. 

But keep blaming the boogeyman.  You heard Gammons say Boras is tough and now you will repeat it like a sheep forever. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

Given that the Sox have not been shy about locking up key players (see extensions to Beckett, Youk, Lester, Pedey, Buchholz, etc), do you ever wonder if there's a reason they haven't extended Ellsbury? Do you think they might be wary of giving an "MVP-type" contract to a guy who's had one MVP-type season and has yet to prove he can do it again? Or do you ever think Ellsbury himself might be determined to test the open market no matter what?

It's time to let go of this single-minded obsession with signing Ellsbury, and the bashing of the team for not doing so. Everyone else realizes that the situation is not as black and white as you make it out to be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

Given that the Sox have not been shy about locking up key players (see extensions to Beckett, Youk, Lester, Pedey, Buchholz, etc), do you ever wonder if there's a reason they haven't extended Ellsbury? Do you think they might be wary of giving an "MVP-type" contract to a guy who's had one MVP-type season and has yet to prove he can do it again? Or do you ever think Ellsbury himself might be determined to test the open market no matter what?

It's time to let go of this single-minded obsession with signing Ellsbury, and the bashing of the team for not doing so. Everyone else realizes that the situation is not as black and white as you make it out to be.

[/QUOTE]

Of course there is a reason.  What a moronic question:  "Do you think there is a reason something happened?"

The reason is the Sox undervalue Ellsbury.  Also They have mismanaged his contract terribly and now they want to blame the boogeyman.

But signing mediocre ballplayers will not fool most people.  The sheeple - who buy whatever the team says,  will be fooled.

"Look at this shiny Victorino I have in my left hand, folks!  See how it shines!  Guarateed to wward off the boogeyman-boras!  Step right up sheeple and buy buy buy!"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are an idiot and know nothing about how to manage people.

When you spends every off season either shopping the guy or bringing in other CFs you are sending the wrong message.  When you question the guy's injuries - question his commitment - leak stories about how he shouldn't rehab in Arizona - you are not doing your team any favors.

They have spent millions on CFs not named Ellsbury!  Instead of sitting him down years ago and saying - you are one of our cornerstones let's get this done.

They could have signed Ellsbury 3 seasons ago. 

They still could have signed him last year. 

The Sox management has failed miserably on this. 

"Jacoby we really want you back - meet shane victorino!"

It's a joke.  And you are clueless.  Typical loser mentatlity crying about boggeyman Boras.

Boras will do what the player tells him to do.  But the player has watched this team with no commitment to him;  he has seen the parade of million dollar CFs signed. 

When Theo left - Cherrington could have said "My #1 priority is signing Ellsbury - we should have done that years ago - he is a foundational piece just like perdroia"

Evert heard that?  Nope.

We instead get Cameron, Crawful, and Victorino.  Every year a new CF signed!

That is why Ellsbury is unsigned.  TERRIBLE management. 

But keep blaming the boogeyman.  You heard Gammons say Boras is tough and now you will repeat it like a sheep forever. 

[/QUOTE]

lol. ignorance is bliss i guess

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course there is a reason.  What a moronic question:  "Do you think there is a reason something happened?"

The reason is the Sox undervalue Ellsbury.  Also They have mismanaged his contract terribly and now they want to blame the boogeyman.

But signing mediocre ballplayers will not fool most people.  The sheeple - who buy whatever the team says,  will be fooled.

"Look at this shiny Victorino I have in my left hand, folks!  See how it shines!  Guarateed to wward off the boogeyman-boras!  Step right up sheeple and buy buy buy!"

[/QUOTE]

Are you basing this on anything other than the fact that Ellsbury hasn't been signed yet and that it's opinion that he should have been? Do you have any idea what the Sox have offered him, if anything, or what his contract demands are?

Better yet, what would you offer Ells to get a deal done right now? $15 million per year? $20 million? Five years? Six? Seven? How can you be sure he'll be worth that when he's spent two of the last three seasons hurt? Can you be sure you'll be getting the superstar-caliber player of 2011, or something closer to the speedy but little-power outfielder of 2008-09? Without detailed answers to these questions, it's impossible to take your rantings seriously.

Look, I've got nothing against Jacoby...I'd love it if it worked out so that he could stay in Boston be guaranteed to hit .300 with 30-plus homers and steals per year for the forseeable future. But it's hardly that simple.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The fact that SG wants Ellsbury extended is reason enough to trade him within the hour.

Sections
Shortcuts