Shane Victorino

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Shane Victorino

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The fact that SG wants Ellsbury extended is reason enough to trade him within the hour.

he should be extended. but that is not possible to do at the moment, but we can still resign him as a FA and if not would get a comp pick (i hear those things are like blood diamonds these days..)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Pedro loves Shane

Pedro Martinez said he was “extremely happy” last week to hear the Red Sox reached an agreement with Shane Victorino on a three-year, $39 million contract that will become official once the switch-hitting outfielder takes a physical.

“Fun guy. Leaves it all on the field,” said Martinez, who teamed with Victorino in 2009 with the Phillies. “That guy can bring it. He makes the plays.”

But Martinez also sounded one tongue-in-cheek note of caution about Victorino that had nothing to do with the fact that he’s coming off a career-worst season. Turns out, they call Victorino the “Flyin’ Hawaiian” for a reason.

“Got to be careful with him,” Martinez said. “He’ll run into a wall and you’ll miss him for four days. I don’t know how he’s going to pace himself. He’s maturing a little bit. But that guy will run through a wall. That’s the kind of player Victorino is.”

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's see how far attitude takes us. My guess is only as far as our talent allows.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Let's see how far attitude takes us. My guess is only as far as our talent allows.

we have talent..our position players are damn good..we will score runs easy...we got to get SP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

we have talent..our position players are damn good..we will score runs easy...we got to get SP.

If this offense played in Oakland or Seattle, we'd be average at best.

There are so many question marks, black holes, and injury-prone players still in our line-up that I don't think we look any better than we did last winter at this time (on paper).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

There are so many question marks, black holes, and injury-prone players still in our line-up that I don't think we look any better than we did last winter at this time (on paper).

we are building this team for fenway...who cares if this offence played in oakland of seattle...our home is fenway...we will win games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When players know that the manager, and all the other players has his back they will tend to play a bit harder. I dont care what some say, I believe chemistry does have a part in successful teams.

Theres a lot of talent on this team. They will compete this year and with some good looking prospects getting close, they should be able to compete for years to come.

Using mainly home grown talent with some complimentary FA signings, and or a trade, is the smart way to go to sustain a competitive team year in and year out..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20221209good_bet_youll_like_13_red_sox_anythings_better_than_the_2012_embarrassment/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I actually made a post on this forum a while ago saying how I always like Shane and thought he would have made a great Idiot. Unbelievable he's now on the Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

...aaaaand, of course, there is still no Swisher coming to the Sox.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

we are building this team for fenway...who cares if this offence played in oakland of seattle...our home is fenway...we will win games.

We had a team "built for Fenway" last year too. How'd that work out for us?

We were near the top in runs scored, but horrible on the road. Now, we don't have AGon or Cody Ross and others who did pretty well.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but I didn't really think depth was out big problem to begin with. 

Our biggest need areas were:

1) SP

2) SP

3) 3 slot/Clean-up hitter type (RF, LF or 1B)

4) RF, LF, or 1B (see #3)

5) RF, LF, or 1B (see #3 & 4)

6) SS

7) Manager/Pitching Coach

While I'd have rather had J Upton than Naps, we may have solved our #3 need. SV is a servicable OF'er but just barely knocks off one of our other needs (#4), but is really just another glorified platoon player. Gomes is another platoon player. Ross is only a good sign if we get something for Salty or Lava.

Overall, our offense is maybe as good as 2012's if everyone stays healthy.

Where's the rotation overhaul going to come from?

I'm holding off judging Ben harshly, but I'm not impressed so far.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Have to agree with Moon about not being impressed this far.  The Sox finished last in the AL East last year 26 games behind the "getting old Yanks" and 21 games out of 3rd place.  The team ahead of them by 4 games - Toronto - is now favored to win the division.  I just don't see the moves the Sox have made so far making them anything but the doormat of the division again next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to traven's comment:

Have to agree with Moon about not being impressed this far.  The Sox finished last in the AL East last year 26 games behind the "getting old Yanks" and 21 games out of 3rd place.  The team ahead of them by 4 games - Toronto - is now favored to win the division.  I just don't see the moves the Sox have made so far making them anything but the doormat of the division again next year.

Whatever you say, Mikey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

I like the signing...another high motor guy, who comes to play, that's a good all around ball player...13M per is not a ton of money and 3 years is not an eternity.

Look's like a decent line-up....add Ross to the mix to be the everyday leftfielder and we're right back in the mix in terms of our ability score....

Rumor has it that the Sox are looking at making a deal to aquire Llyod from the White Sox in exchange for Salty? If they make those two moves we're a lock to win 90 games and if Lester returns to form and we get a full season out of Buccholz. I think we'd be right back in the hunt for all the marbles...

CF Ellsbury

RF Victorino

2B Pedrioa

DH Ortiz

1B Napoli

3B Middlebrooks

C Ross/Salty

SS Iglesias

LF Kalish/Gomes

Hey Bean, I'm not liking that lineup with guys like Salty and Iggy in it.  We need to put better players out there if we intend to improve.  Hopefully our pitching makes up for things because our team OBP isn't looking any better. 

That won't get it done!

Hey craze, It's not the stoutest lineup we've ever ran out there and my guess is that Ben's not finished...we still have room for a lefthanded bat in LF or 1B.

I'm fine with Salty/Ross plattoning in the 7 hole. Salty was among the most productive offensive catchers last year hitting 25 dingers (3rd most in MLB)...so he does provide a little bit of pop and the key is keeping the kid's legs under him and not overexposing him when he's goes into a funk. As for Iggy the time is now to see what the kid can do everyday in a big league uniform. If his defense lives to his rep, I'll take .250-300-375-675ish from him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As for Iggy the time is now to see what the kid can do everyday in a big league uniform. If his defense lives to his rep, I'll take .250-300-375-675ish from him.

I'm fine with Iggy at SS. He may shave a half run off our team ERA singlr-handedly, however, we shouldn't kid ourselves about our offense being great or even better than 2012's offense before the Dodger trade.

So, same or worse offense than 2012. Nothing done about the pitching (yet), except sacking Beckett, Dice-K, Cook & Padilla and adding Lackey.

I'm waiting for a future move or two before I make any harsh and final judgements, but I am surprised at how so many posters think our offense, as it is, is going to radically  turn around a last place team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm just glad we have at least one outfielder who won't have to bounce the ball back to the infield.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I'm just glad we have at least one outfielder who won't have to bounce the ball back to the infield.

It is a lot of money to spend on an outfielder who has a good arm. There are a lot of them out there. Victorino's struggles from the left side are a very real concern.  Let's hope he does well , but at first blush , this looks like a mistake.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It is a lot of money to spend on an outfielder who has a good arm. There are a lot of them out there. Victorino's struggles from the left side are a very real concern.  Let's hope he does well , but at first blush , this looks like a mistake.   

At second blush as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wouldn't ignore it, but his BABIP from the left side was about 67 points lower than 2011.  He had a .251 last year, and with his speed from the LH side, it should be about .300 or better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

As for Iggy the time is now to see what the kid can do everyday in a big league uniform. If his defense lives to his rep, I'll take .250-300-375-675ish from him.

I'm fine with Iggy at SS. He may shave a half run off our team ERA singlr-handedly, however, we shouldn't kid ourselves about our offense being great or even better than 2012's offense before the Dodger trade.

So, same or worse offense than 2012. Nothing done about the pitching (yet), except sacking Beckett, Dice-K, Cook & Padilla and adding Lackey.

I'm waiting for a future move or two before I make any harsh and final judgements, but I am surprised at how so many posters think our offense, as it is, is going to radically  turn around a last place team.

easy, a healthy jacoby, a healthy pedey, napoli banging balls off the monster. papi ready to continue his mashing of the ball, WMB in his second season and will develop as a hitter, the new speed threat in SV to help our team win on the base paths as well (something we are really missing) a contribution from D Ross/salty/lava.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think offensively it comes down to this with Shane. Was 2012 just a bad year or the beginning of a downhill slide? Obviously Ben is betting that 2012 was an abberration. Defensively I don't think there's any question he will be very good. Offensively we'll see. Obviously I'll be cheering for him because he'll be wearing a Red Sox uni.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I think offensively it comes down to this with Shane. Was 2012 just a bad year or the beginning of a downhill slide? Obviously Ben is betting that 2012 was an abberration. Defensively I don't think there's any question he will be very good. Offensively we'll see. Obviously I'll be cheering for him because he'll be wearing a Red Sox uni.

plus we can move ells down to the 3 spot

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

easy, a healthy jacoby, a healthy pedey, napoli banging balls off the monster. papi ready to continue his mashing of the ball, WMB in his second season and will develop as a hitter, the new speed threat in SV to help our team win on the base paths as well (something we are really missing) a contribution from D Ross/salty/lava.

You think all of that happening is "easy"?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

well i,ll tell ya one thing the guys dam happey to be here  he,s proud to be a redsox you gotta love that

Sections
Shortcuts