Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah."

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah."

Overstatement as usual from CHB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah."

Shaughnessy is trying his best to sell us the "most loathed Boston Team in history" angle.

The first problem I have with this statement is that if I was going to hate a Boston team, I wound have hated the 1968 Boston Patriots because they were never on T.V., I would have hated the 1980-81 Boston Bruins and I would have hated the 1990 Red Sox a whole lot more, because they disappointed us too....all right, there was no chicken or beer in the locker rooms ( that we know about), but come on! we DID enjoy 4 months of this season, it wasn't a total washout.

Who is this bozo to tell me which Boston team I should hate. Why should we hate any of them?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah.":
    [QUOTE]Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe Your turn, Josh Beckett. You, too, John Lackey. Time for the rest of the beer-swillin’, biscuit-eatin’, fried-chicken munchin’ Red Sox starting pitchers to fess up. The 1919 Chicago White Sox had Eight Men Out. The 2011 Red Sox have Three Men and a Bucket of Popeye’s. The Red Sox hideous off season of 2011 continues, and today we had more truth set free when Jon Lester returned a phone call from the Globe’s Pete Abraham and confirmed information which until now has been only a “sourced report’’: instead of staying on the bench pulling for their struggling teammates, Red Sox starting pitchers were back in the clubhouse drinking beer and diving into the 16-piece family meal ($31.99, includes three large sides and eight biscuits)’’ during the 2011 season. “We probably ordered chicken from Popeye’s like once a month,’’ said Lester. “But that’s not the reason we lost. “It was a ninth-inning rally beer . . . Was it a bad habit? Yes, I should have been on the bench more than I was. But we just played bad baseball as a team in September. We stunk. To be honest, we were doing the same things all season when we had the best record in baseball.’’ Little comfort there. In addition to admitting the beer/chicken report, Lester gave up something that reflects poorly on the managerial reign of Terry Francona. “People knew how Tito was and we pushed the envelope with it,’’ said Lester. “We never had rules, we never had that iron-fist mentality.’’ Wow. Francona’s still got steel-belted radial tracks on his backside from last week’s Bob Hohler opus, and now one of his trusted warriors has tossed him under the Fenway Fung Wah. No doubt Lester is speaking the truth, but it’s astonishing to have this come from a young man Francona embraced and protected like a son. Francona was more than a manager to Lester. He was a virtual dad. When Lester was diagnosed with cancer, Francona made it his mission to shield the young lefty from all outside forces. Woe was any reporter who tried to contact anyone in Lester’s family when the southpaw was undergoing treatment. There were tears in Francona’s eyes when Lester won the final game of the 2007 World Series and it wasn’t because the Sox were champs. Francona was overcome by Lester’s brave journey back from cancer. And now we get the truth we feared all along; the inmates were running the asylum. Francona treated them like men and they responded by walking all over him. He bit his lip and took bullets for his guys and this is how they rewarded him. The “players manager’’ wound up getting treated like the “players doormat.’’ Lester is the first Sox player to confess. David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis, and Adrian Gonzalez have spoken only in generalities, refusing to give up their teammates. Lester included Messrs. Beckett and Lackey in his confession. “Consider us a unit when it comes to these accusations,’’ said the lefty. “ . . . but we’re not bad people and we’re not a bad group of guys.’’ It’s going to be difficult to convince fans of that. And the Sox would be crazy to bring all three of these guys back. We still don’t know the identity of the 2012 Red Sox general manager or field manager, but we know that Lester, Beckett and Lackey are all under contract for next season; that means this is going to be awkward (sort of like when Carl Crawford shakes hands with John Henry and asks, “How come you didn’t want me here?’’) when the Sox gather at Fort Myers. Lackey has simply got to go. He’s coming off the worst season by a starting pitcher in more than a century of Red Sox baseball, and he’s regularly shown up his teammates and his manager. Bookend all that with his TMZ personal issues and his place in the biscuit brigade and you’ve got a local pariah on a par with none other. The Red Sox are on the hook for three more years to the tune of $45.5 million, but they simply cannot bring him back. Even if they had to eat most of the money. Or all the money. Trading Beckett would be a nice idea too, except for the fact that the Sox don’t have a plethora of starters and they probably need his talent. How he recovers from Popeye-gate is another matter altogether. Now that Lester has come clean, Beckett might as well do the same. We know that Lester is going to be a member of the 2012 Red Sox. He is immensely talented and has the best chance to recover from the free fall of the last six weeks. But the truths he told on Monday forever will be hard for fans to accept. Loyal folks who empty their pockets year after year in support of this team are never going to understand or get over this. Players, media members and front office folks can talk about the “baseball culture,’’ and explain that there was nothing extraordinary about what the Sox pitchers were doing, but nobody’s going to buy it. I should have been on the bench more than I was. What kind of a teammate is that? We applaud Lester for coming forward. Unfortunately, his statements are only going to amplify the noise. The admissions certify the notion that the 2011 are destined Sox to be remembered as perhaps the most loathed Boston team in history.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Amen to every word of this. And I agree that only a completely out-of-touch ownership group would even consider parading Lackey out during opening day introductions next April. The boos for Lester and Beckett will be more than enough for them to contend with, never mind the signage related to the chicken parties, and the rubber chickens which will be thrown onto the field en masse. And the closeness of the fans to the field in ST already spells out a PR disaster for this organizaiton who no doubt has a year long centennial marketing campaign set to kick off. 

This franchise is imploding before our eyes, folks. It may be best for HenryCo. to take a page from Epstink's book and get the hell out of Dodge while the gettin' is still good. What a disgrace this team is now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Any idiot who throws rubber chickens on the field and boos Lester and Beckett should be banned from Fenway for life.

There is a limit to this nonsense, people need to move on, not make this reason for Yankees fans to have an opportunity to show they have more class than Sox fans do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Re: Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah.":
    [QUOTE]Any idiot who throws rubber chickens on the field and boos Lester and Beckett should be banned from Fenway for life. There is a limit to this nonsense, people need to move on, not make this reason for Yankees fans to have an opportunity to show they have more class than Sox fans do.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Who are you kidding? It will rain rubber chickens at Fenway opening day. As well it should. I already know vendors who have ordered upwards of 10,000 of them to begin the season. Rubber chickens, feathers, chicken bones, never mind the bawk bawk bawk bawks from the fans---to go along with every single person booing? Come on...you know what's going to happen. Don't be so naive.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

seriously this chicken delivery thing amuses me to no end...did the delivery guy have to be let in through the gate, and then to the dugout???? wtffffffff???

why didnt Tito drop kick this delivery to the high heavens to get his point across???

even in legion ball the players get a nice spread after the game - mlb team spreads are legendary...there was more than hunger going on - this was a frat house mentality with becket as the leader doing what he did in Florida....he needs to fess up, apologize, or be gone...this is unacceptable and an insult to Tito and all the fans - if i were henry i would suspend him for the first month of the regular season

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

In Response to Re: Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah.":
    [QUOTE]Any idiot who throws rubber chickens on the field and boos Lester and Beckett should be banned from Fenway for life. There is a limit to this nonsense, people need to move on, not make this reason for Yankees fans to have an opportunity to show they have more class than Sox fans do.

No class clowns are no class clowns, regardless of whatever team they support.  There are plenty of [m]ASSE[s] in New England same as there are in Jersey, CT, and NY.  You're a respected poster and should not propagate such a silly notion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Shaughnessy is trying his best to sell us the "most loathed Boston Team in history" angle. The first problem I have with this statement is that  if I was going to hate a Boston team,  I wound have hated the 1968 Boston Patriots because they were never on T.V., I would have hated the 1980-81 Boston Bruins and I would have hated the 1990 Red Sox a whole lot more, because they disappointed us too....all right, there was no chicken or beer in the locker rooms ( that we know about), but come on! we DID enjoy 4 months of this season, it wasn't a total washout. Who is this bozo to tell me which Boston team I should hate. Why should we hate any of them?

It's not the point. The point is families and people spending $100 per ticket to go see a team where the players didn't support the manager, didn't support each other, and essentially didn't care as much as they should have.

Zilla - You are exactly the type of fan ownership loves because come February, you will be sitting in the virtual waiting room, trying to snap up tickets in April to see the Orioles at $100 per ticket.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

W/ regards to the OP's initial post:  I think Shaughnessy is right (rare, I know) in the sense that Lester did toss Francona under the budge rental van, backed up, and than ran over him again.

I honestly thought Lester was a step above that.  I clearly see I was wrong and stupid to think so.  Shame on me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

As usual he takes part of what Lester said and sells it as an issue

DS
    “We probably ordered chicken from Popeye’s like once a month,’’ said Lester. “But that’s not the reason we lost.

“It was a ninth-inning rally beer . . . Was it a bad habit? Yes, I should have been on the bench more than I was. But we just played bad baseball as a team in September. We stunk. To be honest, we were doing the same things all season when we had the best record in baseball.’’

Lester
    "It was a ninth-inning rally beer," he said. "We probably ordered chicken from Popeye's like once a month. That happened. But that's not the reason we lost.

"Most of the times it was one beer, a beer. It was like having a Coke in terms of how it affected you mentally or physically. I know how it looks to people and it probably looks bad. But we weren't up there just drinking and eating and nobody played video games. We watched the game."

If you take what was actually stated by Lester and switch it around you can make it sound worse than what it was.
    This has been a tactic taken by most writers in Boston ever since I was a little 9 yr old back in 1959. They did it to Ted and many others along the way.
    BTW

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

BTW if you actually read the article he did not throw Terry under the bus but said the players pushed the limits and took responsibility for what at least he did. Yes he did say maybe Terry's time was up but is that throwing some under the bus???????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]As usual he takes part of what Lester said and sells it as an issue DS “We probably ordered chicken from Popeye’s like once a month,’’ said Lester. “But that’s not the reason we lost. “It was a ninth-inning rally beer . . . Was it a bad habit? Yes, I should have been on the bench more than I was. But we just played bad baseball as a team in September. We stunk. To be honest, we were doing the same things all season when we had the best record in baseball.’’ Lester "It was a ninth-inning rally beer," he said. "We probably ordered chicken from Popeye's like once a month. That happened. But that's not the reason we lost. "Most of the times it was one beer, a beer. It was like having a Coke in terms of how it affected you mentally or physically. I know how it looks to people and it probably looks bad. But we weren't up there just drinking and eating and nobody played video games. We watched the game." If you take what was actually stated by Lester and switch it around you can make it sound worse than what it was. This has been a tactic taken by most writers in Boston ever since I was a little 9 yr old back in 1959. They did it to Ted and many others along the way. BTW
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

you really think they only had a beer in the 9th inning during rallies? or chicken once a month? i guess it must be convenient to ignore the manager from your own home state who said it got so bad with beckett that he had to give them passes to go potty like kids?
     smarten up....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP is almost 100% hype, a tempest in a teapot. 

Yes, as Lester says, it was wrong.  But Francona should have been able to stop it if he really wanted to.  The problem was that it started last year, not this September, so it was hard to redraw a line that had disappeared.   Plus it's hard for me to see the connection between the beer and the performance because they were drinking beer on off days when they were pitching well--except for Lackey, of course.  As for him, I would be tempted to encourage him to drink beer on days he starts in the vain hope he might calm down and pitch better.   

If Lackey goes, he should go because he is a terrible starter with an equally terrible attitude.  He shows up his teammates and his manager.  Everybody's to blame but himself.

As I point out on another thread, this September was no worse than August of 2006 when the Sox, after playing at a .605 clip for the first four months, went 9 and 21 and dropped out of the pennant race.  For guess what?  Lousy pitching.  Same as this year.

And what happened after the disastrous year in 2006?  A WS in 2007.  Shaughnessy don't know from nothing. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Dan was chastizing the clubhouse three a few days back for not being men enough to tell RSN about what went on in the clubhouse and if the leaks were accurate. Now when Lester comes clean and says that Tito didn't put his foot down enough and needed to be more assertive, CHB chastizes Lester for throwing Tito under the bus. You see CHB is doing his job well by playing both sides at once and setting fires under the fan base. The bosses of CHB will applaude him for selling more newspapers and increasing traffic to the website. Such is the role of the columnist.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah." : you really think they only had a beer in the 9th inning during rallies? or chicken once a month? i guess it must be convenient to ignore the manager from your own home state who said it got so bad with beckett that he had to give them passes to go potty like kids?  smarten up....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]This whole thing with the chicken and beer is more symptomatic than anything else though, is it not?

Geo, you have long railed that Francona lost control of his team, no?

Well who isn't here any more?

The market is out of hand. People demand to hear from these guys. But when the guys do come forward, whether it has been Pedey or Henry and now Lester, it does not matter what they say they get bashed some more.

Frankly the detail of how many beers they had or how often they ate chicken is just picking at a scab.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Adrian Gonzalez is done giving the Boston press anymore information than answering the basic questions after what he was quoted out of context recently. Here is a good interview that he had in LA a few days ago.
    http://wpc.31d2.edgecastcdn.net/8031D2/xxsportsl/common/global_audio/40/36982.mp3

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah." : This whole thing with the chicken and beer is more symptomatic than anything else though, is it not? Geo, you have long railed that Francona lost control of his team, no? Well who isn't here any more? The market is out of hand. People demand to hear from these guys. But when the guys do come forward, whether it has been Pedey or Henry and now Lester, it does not matter what they say they get bashed some more. Frankly the detail of how many beers they had or how often they ate chicken is just picking at a scab.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

i would agree with you to an extent...but i think this was more about Josh & the pitchers flaunting and disrespecting a manager INTENTIONALLY...i know Francona was weak when it came to laying the law down - but this is bigger than about being bad teammates imho...if I were management I would demand those players apologize to the ex manager and the fans or risk suspension for next year...this is more than just having eats in the clubhouse....there was somthing seriously sinister/wrong here

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah." : i would agree with you to an extent...but i think this was more about Josh & the pitchers flaunting and disrespecting a manager INTENTIONALLY...i know Francona was weak when it came to laying the law down - but this is bigger than about being bad teammates imho...if I were management I would demand those players apologize to the ex manager and the fans or risk suspension for next year...this is more than just having eats in the clubhouse....there was somthing seriously sinister/wrong here
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]It wasn't sinster Geo, it was a bunch of guys in their late 20's and early 30's getting paid an insane amount of money to play a game they paid for free as kids who ran amuck.

The manager's style was such that this time his ability to reel them in failed him this time.

The manager is moving on. Lackey probably will be too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah." : This whole thing with the chicken and beer is more symptomatic than anything else though, is it not? Geo, you have long railed that Francona lost control of his team, no? Well who isn't here any more? The market is out of hand. People demand to hear from these guys. But when the guys do come forward, whether it has been Pedey or Henry and now Lester, it does not matter what they say they get bashed some more. Frankly the detail of how many beers they had or how often they ate chicken is just picking at a scab.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

3 cases of beer, 10 chicken breasts, 20 wings, 10 legs (no thighs, they asked for a special order)...consider scab picked...:-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I have no need to hear from any player about why they played so poorly down the stretch.  Or the clubhouse.  I with they had won more.  I wish they had gone to the playoffs.  That is all.

I don't need an apology, people to blame or an excuse.

I can move on knowing the Sox have a great core team and I look forward to another season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

$187.13....Popeye bill

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

Irresponsible journalism, taking items out of context and over hyping to create demand for his stories. Media is creating much more out of this than is necessary.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaughnessy:" one of his trusted warriors(Lester) has tossed him(Francona) under the Fenway Fung Wah." : Who are you kidding? It will rain rubber chickens at Fenway opening day. As well it should. I already know vendors who have ordered upwards of 10,000 of them to begin the season. Rubber chickens, feathers, chicken bones, never mind the bawk bawk bawk bawks from the fans---to go along with every single person booing? Come on...you know what's going to happen. Don't be so naive.
    Posted by greenapplesplatters[/QUOTE]

Have you seen what a Fenway crowd looks like these days?  Tourists taking in the "fenway experience" and people paying $150 a seat aren't tossing rubber chickens on the field, although I like the idea.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Like it or not, this chicken & beer thing has become emblematic of THE ATTITUDE that caused the collapse. 

DID THE CHICKEN OR THE BEER literally cause the collapse?  OF COURSE NOT!!!!

BUT!!!!!!!  The attitude of "I don't really give a s h i t about this TEAM, my teammates, the manager, the FO, the owners, or the fans DID CAUSE THE COLLAPSE! 

We all knew something was wrong!  We all sensed that something was just not right in the clubhouse, for such a 'good' team to literally implode before our eyes!

Having said that, it was NOT JUST THE PLAYERS!   This  was kick over the gatorade container, punch a few lockers, scream your bloody head off at some of these frat boy slacker punks, Billy Martin take a swing at Reggie, collapse time.  EVERY OTHER AT BAT WITH A RUNNER ON BASE, some bonehead would make a senseless out!  IT WAS NOT JUST THE PITCHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There was a much more systemic problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If all the blame goes on LACKEY, the perfect scapegoat, I will be happy!  So long as he is run out of town!!!!!!!!

BUT!!!!!!!   Let's not forget ALL THE OTHER PROBLEMS!  These guys did not have their heads in the game!!!!  Every single player who was running amok should be absolutely ashamed!  Not just the pitchers!  For tuning Tito out, they are a bunch of ungrateful punks!!!!!!!!!    BUT!!!!  That does not absolve Tito from a great deal of the blame!  Love the guy, but he needs to stand up & take a huge part of the blame!  Let's face it......  When you hear a pathetic parent who tells you, "I just don't know what to do!  My kids just won't listen to me!!!  Wahhhhh!"  How do you truly feel about said parent!  Do you make excuses for them & blame the kids????   NO!!!   You absolutely think to yourself, "you gotta be f'n kidding me!?"

EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM NEEDS TO MAN UP & SAY "WE ALL BLEW IT!!!!  WE ALL LET THIS HAPPEN!!!  WE'RE ALL TO BLAME!  TO A MAN!

BUT!  IF WE MUST HAVE A SCAPEGOAT, LET IT BE LACKEY!!!!!   :)