Shaughnessy: 'Tito won't be back next year'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Shaughnessy: 'Tito won't be back next year'

In Response to Re: Shaughnessy: 'Tito won't be back next year':
    [QUOTE]The person who needs to go is Curt Young.  There really is no excuse for the pitching to be as bad as it was this season considering how, at the beginning of the season, EVERY sports pundit was labeling this staff as possibly the best in the AL. The onus is on Curt Young.
    Posted by bigpanther98[/QUOTE]

We were kind of 9th in ERA in 2010, so I'm not sure how many people thought we had the best staff in the AL.  We had two great pitchers in 2010, one of whom figured to regress a bit.  We had a comeback candidate in Beckett, but really not a lot of expectation for Lackey and Dice.  I figured we'd improve, but this wasn't going to be better than Oakland or TB or LAA.  I liked Farrell, and we should've been better, but you're overstating the case.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Theo's free agent signings have been abysmal and it is his fault. Francona does do some mind boggling things at times. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

say goodbye to the luckiest man who ever became manager,,,,no miracles this time - just cold reality of a team that had it all except a manager who knew how to condition, motivate, and coach them

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Neither will a lot of players, coaches, and front office. I think there will be a wholesale clearance sale.

It;s over due, and I am relieved the reality dawned earlt, and there wll be no more absurd end-games this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RPBPAT. Show RPBPAT's posts

Pathetic, the curse is back....No....they just sucked.  At least it will be good riddance to FranCOMA's molly coddle the players approach. He should have kicked their collective assess in gear weeks ago.  Maybe we will also get rid of all those phony Red Sox Bandwagon fans. Two weeks ago at Fenway I said, "Somebody call security there are nine guys on the field impersonating the Red Sox."  At that game, the Sox were sleep walking through the game, down by half a dozen runs, and most of the fans were more interested in generating the wave and singing "Sweet Caroline" than the game. They should have been booing the Sox off the field.  But as long as these phony fans can party, who cares about the score...well the party's over...The Orioles played like they wanted it more than the Sox, even though they were going no where....just the love of the game and desire to win...well now the Sox are going no where as well...but at least the Orioles ended the season like ball players and men. Character matters, Tampa Bay and Orioles had the it, the Sox did not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This team is the first half of Rocky III.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBChrome. Show JBChrome's posts

So who would be the manager ? (I'd like to hear some actual NAMES, not the "anyone would be better" song.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]So who would be the manager ? (I'd like to hear some actual NAMES, not the "anyone would be better" song.)
    Posted by JBChrome[/QUOTE]

I can't remember his first name but I believe his last name was Boilermaker or something similar!! He took the Bears to a championship in his first season as manager.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

Do you guys watch the games? Tito is a joke.

If he does get a job with another team, presumably with less talent, he will never even make the playoffs. Heck, he hasn't made the playoffs the last two years even with our talent.

Fire Francona!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

The person who needs to go is Curt Young.  There really is no excuse for the pitching to be as bad as it was this season considering how, at the beginning of the season, EVERY sports pundit was labeling this staff as possibly the best in the AL. The onus is on Curt Young.
    Posted by bigpanther98

In my book Young gets a pass simply because it's his first season and who really knows what kind of authority the man had to change things. Since not throwing strikes and pitching to contact seems to be a team goal that started a year or two ago I'm assuming he just went along with the program, being the new guy and all. I do hope he brushes up on his pep talks at the mound next season because this years talks very rarely produced results !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

tito addios he has missed the pplayoffs now 3 of the last 6 years and I don't wana hear the lame excuses

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]if grady can be fired for a mistake one game short of the world series, then Francona can easily be fired for an entire month's epic collapse with a team that is so loaded with talent it's almost unfair i know it is time for you francona apoligists to admit what i and others have been saying for a few years now - he is a lousy manager who can not motivate, lead, or teach his players what is needed to win...if they have it in them (like 2004/07) then its all good...if not were f&^*ed... seriously if this season doesnt justify firing him than i assume you want him to manage for life....sort of like your plan for wakefield starting...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Loaded with talent? Umm ... have you looked at the pitching staff and the number of starts guys like Weiland, Miller and yes, even Wakefield who at this point is a spot starter for a month or so rather than 3/4 of the year.

Explain to me how it's Francona's fault that the pitching staff had an ERA nearly 6.00 for September and allowed five or more runs in at least 19 starts in the month.

There is plenty of blame to go around, from the hitters, to fielders to Theo, to Tito and coaches. But it all starts with the most pathetic pitching I have seen since I was a Red Sox fan.

Yes, tonight, once clutch hit from A-Gon or Ortiz when there were runners on could have put the game out of reach. But that's baseball. There are going to be games where that happens. The flip side is games like last night where the pitching staff gives up seven runs, but the offense did enough to win.

Anyone who was paying attention and had not agenda could see how the crppy pitching at the start of the month just scked the life out of the team. 

Now you tell me how a manager can get his pitchers to get outs and not get rocked every time out. If you explain this to me, then I'll give your anti-Tito crusade some thought.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

clean house with all the coaches how many baserunners we have thrown out at second and home this season by a huge margin?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Do you guys watch the games? Tito is a joke. If he does get a job with another team, presumably with less talent, he will never even make the playoffs. Heck, he hasn't made the playoffs the last two years even with our talent. Fire Francona!
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

You truly are a piece of work.  You cite all these factualities as if you are the prophet on high and you cite zero facts to back any of your baseless claims up! " If he does get a job with another team, presumably with less talent, he will never even make the playoffs"

This is a great example.  How exactly do you know this to be true?  This is based on absolutely no credible evidence whatsoever! It is solely based on your worthless bloviating opinions and nothing more!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Whatever CHB says, the Sox should do the exact opposite. Then they're in business.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tony-50. Show Tony-50's posts

Nobody with the name 'Tito should be managing!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucky-dent. Show bucky-dent's posts

To bad you missed out on oozie

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Francona has never been a great manager, he has however had great results in Boston. I don't know what is discussed in the innersanctom, but IMHO T is the first letter of the guys' name who has to go.

T is not for Tito, but for Theo. This overblown ecomaniac who gets sucked in by Cashman into signing mediocre players for mega bucks should be washing cars on Huntington Ave instead of running the Red Sox.

The buck stops here, unfortunately the regal owner of the Red Sox who obviously knows nothing about baseball will never give the Boy Blunder his walking papers. They sell out everynight, all's right in beantown.

Mr Henry , should look west, like LA west, to see how fast fans will jump a sinking ship, don't think it can happen, neither did the Dodger owners. One of the key stone franchises in not only baseball, but all sports, is on its knees because of soap opera owners, from Boston by the way, and poor results. It's pathetic what egomaniacs can do to a franchise.

Get rid of Epstein, do the world a favor. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4412333. Show user_4412333's posts

[QUOTE]too bad the globe doesnt feel the same way about Shaughnessay I agree S5. be careful what you wish for; you know what you have, not what you'll get. Francona will not have any problem finding a managerial job if his time in Boston comes to an end. He will be on a very short list. Maybe it's time after eight years, for both the organization and Francona. I thank and wish him well. ya done good Tito
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I'm a EE fan and rarely agree with your posts, but this one is spot on.  CHB needs to go.  Francona is gone, but that's the way baseball works.  He won't be that upset and you could have done a lot worse the last 8 years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scarhill2000. Show scarhill2000's posts

Agon thinks all this is part of his God's grand plan. Sorry, Agon but I really think your God has much more important things to worry about than you and your baseball team. This is why Agon will never, ever be a clutch player. Oh he will have the numbers but he will never be a Manny in the clutch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

"Sorry, Agon" ... hmmm ... as if you are important enough to comment on HIM.

You are just another of the many crybaby fans here.   Agon had a great season, period.   The Orioles walked him intentionally to get to Ortiz for a reason.  They are not fools.    

Agon can say whatever he wants, he made some good plays on defense and was on base 4 TIMES.  He made a religious comment.  Oh the horrors.  

Facism is not dead, it lives in crybaby Red Sox fans hearts.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Bye Francona!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]You can either give Tito credit for two WS rings, and the other losses, or you can credit the players for the two WS rings and the losses, but you can't credit the players when they win and blame the manager when they lose.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!  A team includes all it's components....... But for many it never changes, the players only win, and in Boston anyway, the managers only lose.

For sure Francona shares his part of the blame....... But IMO his share comes BEHIND Theo, some of the players, and too many injuries to count......  This team is a mess!!!!  It's going to take far more then just replacing Francona to fix this.

Actually I think the very first thing that needs to be done if it already hasn't been done is for the OWNERS to privately meet. While no doubt Francona's fate is probably sealed they better ask themslevs if the can trust Theo's judgement on any replacement.