SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL

Normally I find Dan Shaunessy as abrasive as sandpaper toiletpaper, but his article today was correct.  How much can Els and Pedey carry this team? How much do they have left?  I'm sorry but Gonzo is Al Davis - Mr. abstain - right now.  With Youk and Papi out who else will help?  At the beginning of the year, I told everyone to not talk to me until June or July and then I'd make judgments about these Sox and about Crawford.  Well it's August now and I've given up on Carl and am officially worried about the Sox.  My prediction a 3 win and 5 loss road trip ( 2-2 vs. KC and 1 and 3 vs. Texas).  Drop 2 of 3 to the Yanks and they are 4 or 5 games out when September rolls in with only a 4-5 game WC lead.  Is that enough to worry the nation?  God, I hope I'm wrong!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL

Well, I have to disgree with you about D-Shaun being "correct" this time around.  I find the article just as abrasively sand-paperish as all the rest of his writing.  All he is doing is appealling, as usual, to the most easily provoked doom-and-gloom Sox fan set.  Yeah, the offense is scuffling right now.  But this has happened before.  In fact it happens a few times every year, even this year.  He is a fear monger.  Going into this road trip is the perfect time, he understands, to beat the panic/despair drum.  I agree in so far as this road trip is a gauntlet, and a tough one, especially with how this club has played for the last week.  But, the thing is, the Sox are in a good position relative to their struggles.  If they were clinging desparately to a WC spot, ok, GULP.  But, no, they are essentially tied for first place with essentially a tie for the best record in the A.L.  They have breathing room.  And, unlike D-Shaun, I am confident (assuming Ortiz is not shelved for the season) that the bats are going to get red hot again, A-Gon is going to pound the ball again.  These guys are too good and too experienced to just fold up, assuming health.  

The Texas series is gonna be a serious Dog Days Gut Check.  But that is as it should be.  A good club needs to have those big gut checks.  Hardly anyone runs away and hides and coasts through a season.  These struggles build character.  

Beat the drum Shaugnhessy.  I expect no less from you, you fear monger.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

How do you go 6-0 since July and still have an era over 6.00? Only if your name is John Lackey. I really like and respect the majority of the players on this roster but I reserve the right to tell you posters how dumb you sound when you talk about Lackey turning it around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Who cares about Shaunessey's opinion? He always "tolls the bell".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL:
    How do you go 6-0 since July and still have an era over 6.00? Only if your name is John Lackey. I really like and respect the majority of the players on this roster but I reserve the right to tell you posters how dumb you sound when you talk about Lackey turning it around.
    Posted by BurritoT

In all fairness to Lackey, even though his era is around 6 he has dropped his era by about 2 runs in his last 6 starts..Thats good news IMO..Im not a big fan of the guy, but hes been much better the second half (trend?) , like last year...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

the sky is falling!...the sky is falling!...the sky is falling!

Seems about the time of the year for Shaunessey and his band of doom and gloomers to work themselves into a frenzy...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Dan is very good about black/white and doesn't dwell in the gray areas. That's why it always seems like he is attacking someone. But what did he say in that story that wasn't true? Crawford is getting a free pass, Lackey's 6-0 stretch was as much to do with more offense,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL : In all fairness to Lackey, even though his era is around 6 he has dropped his era by about 2 runs in his last 6 starts..Thats good news IMO..Im not a big fan of the guy, but hes been much better the second half (trend?) , like last year...
    Posted by southpaw777

He's pitched well enough to keep us in games, but he still not even close to his second half performance of last year...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

For whom the bell tolls

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Posted by BurritoT

actually burrito, his era is now south of 6.00, at least temporarily.
    after his next start, we'll be looking at 6.00 again.
    it's not slackey who's turning it around, it's the opposing hitters everytime they swing at his imaginary fastball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL:
    Normally I find Dan Shaunessy as abrasive as sandpaper toiletpaper, but his article today was correct.  How much can Els and Pedey carry this team? How much do they have left?  I'm sorry but Gonzo is Al Davis - Mr. abstain - right now.  With Youk and Papi out who else will help?  At the beginning of the year, I told everyone to not talk to me until June or July and then I'd make judgments about these Sox and about Crawford.  Well it's August now and I've given up on Carl and am officially worried about the Sox.  My prediction a 3 win and 5 loss road trip ( 2-2 vs. KC and 1 and 3 vs. Texas).  Drop 2 of 3 to the Yanks and they are 4 or 5 games out when September rolls in with only a 4-5 game WC lead.  Is that enough to worry the nation?  God, I hope I'm wrong!
    Posted by frankn

At least you are consistent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Dan is very good about black/white and doesn't dwell in the gray areas. That's why it always seems like he is attacking someone. But what did he say in that story that wasn't true? Crawford is getting a free pass, Lackey's 6-0 stretch was as much to do with more offense,
    Posted by dannycater

First off Shaunessey's a guy that likes to stir the pot he revels in the Sox myre.

Stating that Crawford's getting a free pass? I'd ask, from whom? Certainly not from the press and writing an opin that Lackey's record is due to run support is genius on his part who'd have ever thunk such a think? When the guys ERA is over 6.00.

What great journalism on his part to point out the obvious and to play to the glass is half full-yankee phoebic-doom and gloomers club where he's the president and founding member....

Did he also mention that In thier last ten starts the teams records when the top four pitch are Lackey's 6-4 with 5.54 era, Beckett's 7-3 with 2.82 era, Wake 7-3 5.85 ERA and Lester 5-5 with 2.62 ERA..both Wake and Lackey's era's are above 5 and both Lesters and Beckett's are below 3 in that span...

hmmm lets see the reason when Lackey pitches we win becuase of the bats and when lester pitches we lose becasue of the bats. Ditto when Wake pitches...We win when we score more than the other team, and lose when we don't, nah that can't be the reason. It has to be deeper than that...otherwise I can't sell newpapers or write books...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bean, that's my point. There is no gray area in his writing. But can you blame him? He is writing for 5th graders and Sox fans who are not gray area thinkers (I'm often running between both myself. I want to rip a guy or extoll a guy and then the statistics bear it some consistencies or show some good and bad thus making a simple argument turn into a 100,000 post essay on why Lackey is a quality No. 5 starter, but a terrible No. 3 starter.) What he writes is in line with a lot of fans in Sox Nation. He writes for the audience, to the audience, and I've found that he's often looking at these forums and seeing what are the fans upset about lately or excited about lately. It's to his benefit. The gloomer's club you are talking about includes a ton of people in Sox Nation. It's not just a Yankee plot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Bean, that's my point. There is no gray area in his writing. But can you blame him? He is writing for 5th graders and Sox fans who are not gray area thinkers (I'm often running between both myself. I want to rip a guy or extoll a guy and then the statistics bear it some consistencies or show some good and bad thus making a simple argument turn into a 100,000 post essay on why Lackey is a quality No. 5 starter, but a terrible No. 3 starter.) What he writes is in line with a lot of fans in Sox Nation. He writes for the audience, to the audience, and I've found that he's often looking at these forums and seeing what are the fans upset about lately or excited about lately. It's to his benefit. The gloomer's club you are talking about includes a ton of people in Sox Nation. It's not just a Yankee plot.
    Posted by dannycater

Are you an officer in this "Gloomers Club"?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Posted by dannycater

Danny,
    I get where he writes from, I personally stopped reading his articles some time ago...I'm not all that interested in his style nor his opins. He's doing his job, one that I am sure pays him handsomely. I just prefer to read guys that see both sides of the equasion and write with that perspective in mind.

It's never as bad as it appears nor as good as we might think. In sport it's about the journey and ultimately only 1 team and thier supporters have smiles on thier faces at the end of the year...fortunately for the Sox and thier supporters we're still in it! Regardless of our teams current plight...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Add Lester and Beckett to the mix also...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Will depend upon whether this team can do at least 4-4 on this road trip and whether Ortiz and Youk return healthy and in good form after a week or two, for division hopes. For WS title, it will depend upon whether buch can return in good form by the post season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I think Shaughnessy is a first rate sportswriter. Look, none of these guys (or women) are very likely to ever be mistaken for Shakespeare. But I've been reading the Globe for longer than I care to admit and Shaughnessy's columns typically draw more comments - by far - than any of the other scribes the paper employs. Isn't that a pretty clear indication that his writing is effective? And when did it become a crime to take a pragmatic view of the Boston Red Sox? If Shaughnessy was all flowers and sunshine, you'd complain about THAT.
    Posted by davetheknave

Shaughnessy's columns don't draw comments because they're pragmatic.  They draw comments because they're provocative.  Pragmatic doesn't usually draw a lot of attention. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL : Danny, I get where he writes from, I personally stopped reading his articles some time ago...I'm not all that interested in his style nor his opins. He's doing his job, one that I am sure pays him handsomely. I just prefer to read guys that see both sides of the equasion and write with that perspective in mind. It's never as bad as it appears nor as good as we might think. In sport it's about the journey and ultimately only 1 team and thier supporters have smiles on thier faces at the end of the year...fortunately for the Sox and thier supporters we're still in it! Regardless of our teams current plight...
    Posted by Beantowne

Bean, if he wrote that way, he would be deemed boring and people would say he is a Red Sox shill. Seriously. If you don't go somewhat over the top to drive a point, then the point won't come through in a short article/column. If you sit down and analyze the way a fivekatz does (sorry, not that they are not interesting and/or correct analysis), and try to put that in a baseball article for the masses, it won't fly. It just won't fly and people will stop reading the article. Here are 5 points why this thing is better, here is 5 points why it is not better. If you do that, it's too much for the reader. We all are not rocket scientists or baseball experts in the reading world. We being Sox Nation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL : Are you an officer in this "Gloomers Club"?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

If I were an officer, I'd probably have you executed, spike.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Shaunessy's comments are a package of comments ( almost verbatim) that I have seen on this forum in recent days. He either gets his column material from here or else he poses as two or three monikers and sees if his provocative comments pass the litmus test here. If he stirs up a hornets nest here then it is good enough material for his column. Who would have thought that Dan uses the trolling game to get bullets for his column.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Looks like the next Yankee Fenway series are looming large and with H/A vs Tex...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Spike, I don't even doubt that. I have also seen evidence that he has grabbed some 1-liners from the old Can Land chatroom and today's forums.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL : Bean, if he wrote that way, he would be deemed boring and people would say he is a Red Sox shill. Seriously. If you don't go somewhat over the top to drive a point, then the point won't come through in a short article/column. If you sit down and analyze the way a fivekatz does (sorry, not that they are not interesting and/or correct analysis), and try to put that in a baseball article for the masses, it won't fly. It just won't fly and people will stop reading the article. Here are 5 points why this thing is better, here is 5 points why it is not better. If you do that, it's too much for the reader. We all are not rocket scientists or baseball experts in the reading world. We being Sox Nation.
    Posted by dannycater

Not sure that I agree....Gammon's did ok writing informative baseball columns without having to stoop to writing about players off the field or trying to inject himself into the story...Shaunessey is the anti-Gammon's, prefers to write inflamatory columns and be seens as more than a writer that been blessed with the ability to use the pen to make a living covering sports in one of the best sports town in the world. He want to be part of the story, not tell it...

His MO is pretty consistent regardless of the team or player he's writing about at any given point during the calendar year. I doubt you'll be able to change my view of his work and I am not trying to sway you one way or the other.

Sections
Shortcuts