SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Re: SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL

I here the yankees are looking to trade montesori for jacobs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL : Not sure that I agree....Gammon's did ok writing informative baseball columns without having to stoop to writing about players off the field or trying to inject himself into the story...Shaunessey is the anti-Gammon's, prefers to write inflamatory columns and be seens as more than a writer that been blessed with the ability to use the pen to make a living covering sports in one of the best sports town in the world. He want to be part of the story, not tell it... His MO is pretty consistent regardless of the team or player he's writing about at any given point during the calendar year. I doubt you'll be able to change my view of his work and I am not trying to sway you one way or the other.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Bean, I can actually pinpoint the exact time that Dan became that way ("part of the story") and I agree with you on that end of things. He was the guy that coined the Curse of the Bambino, he invented the word "curse" connecting to Sox baseball not winning since 1918. No one ever brought up curses and jinxes during 1975 7th game, 1986 meltdown, 2003 choke...until he turned it into a rallying cry for Sox Woe-Me Nation. You still hear people talking as if there was some other being that prevented the Sox from winning WS titles for so long. It made for a good story. Connect the dots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]Spike, I don't even doubt that. I have also seen evidence that he has grabbed some 1-liners from the old Can Land chatroom and today's forums.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

The Globe put out a feeler on this in the forum in recent days also.

http://boston.com/sports/video/globe10/?bctid=1116644662001

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]How do you go 6-0 since July and still have an era over 6.00? Only if your name is John Lackey. I really like and respect the majority of the players on this roster but I reserve the right to tell you posters how dumb you sound when you talk about Lackey turning it around.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You do realize since the AS break his era is down nearly 2.00????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

JimfromFlorida, are you the nightshift replacement for Spaceman, the token optimist, at the BDC office? He reached his forum quota this afternoon for comments in support of the Red Sox. He has been warned about the penalty for exceeding that quota. The penalty is three days in the solitary PollyAnna cell with only bread and water. My advice to you is to go with the current flow of the forum, wear black, and make ample use of your crying towel. Deep six your cheerful personna and replace it with a impersonation of Quasi Modo. Thank you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Can't believe the OP fell for the Shaugnessy stick. It's not his opinions that are the problem but his lazy reporting. You have to dig for good stories, he would rather just lazily riff, because...

"Isn't that a pretty clear indication that his writing is effective?"

He gets a bunch of comments. 

He knows how to stir the pot, that's fine, just be clear that is isn't a reporter, but an instigator. 

It's not that hard to get people worked up. It is harder to get them to think or give them a new perspective based on your sweat and due paying behind the scenes. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]Can't believe the OP fell for the Shaugnessy stick. It's not his opinions that are the problem but his lazy reporting. You have to dig for good stories, he would rather just lazily riff, because... " Isn't that a pretty clear indication that his writing is effective?" He gets a bunch of comments.  He knows how to stir the pot, that's fine, just be clear that is isn't a reporter, but an instigator.  It's not that hard to get people worked up. It is harder to get them to think or give them a new perspective based on your sweat and due paying behind the scenes. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Nice post spanker. He only needs to dig here. I think that about 10-15 of our regular posters work for the Globe and do their best to stir the pot and see which way the wind is blowing. When they get good responses from our fickle fanbase they run with it and it apparently it makes good copy in their next day's columns. This is why the forum software supposedly can't trace by IP address and they hesitate to ban on that basis. The Globe wants a forum of whiners, skeptics, cynics, trolls,and pessimists and they cultivate them, feed them, and create a perfect climate for them such as growing bacteria in an agar-agar solution. We are the source of their column material and most here don't realize that they are laughing at us for providing them with their material. The tone of the forum which is pessimism is also successful in the columns. We are their thermometer and barometer of pessimism in RSN.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I have been compared to beat bilging Dan Shaugnessy. While it's not flattering to a baseball genius like me, I'm sure that, when it got back to him, Dan was elated to be compared to the great Softlaw.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

...and I just et.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL:
    [QUOTE]Normally I find Dan Shaunessy as abrasive as sandpaper toiletpaper, but his article today was correct.  How much can Els and Pedey carry this team? How much do they have left?  I'm sorry but Gonzo is Al Davis - Mr. abstain - right now.  With Youk and Papi out who else will help?  At the beginning of the year, I told everyone to not talk to me until June or July and then I'd make judgments about these Sox and about Crawford.  Well it's August now and I've given up on Carl and am officially worried about the Sox.  My prediction a 3 win and 5 loss road trip ( 2-2 vs. KC and 1 and 3 vs. Texas).  Drop 2 of 3 to the Yanks and they are 4 or 5 games out when September rolls in with only a 4-5 game WC lead.  Is that enough to worry the nation?  God, I hope I'm wrong!
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

1st place, wildcard, really no differenence.  Sox have murdered the Yanks at the Stadium.  It's not even a loud intimidating building anymore the way its been constructed. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I doubt that the Globe would pose as the bigoted Softlaw but who knows what they would do since they float so many bubbles here. Any thing for a story I guess.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

"Bigot" and "hate" are deliberately misused words to denounce disagreement and dissent. They are akin to "unamerican" in the 1950s".

Nothing could be more bigoted than attaching physical identity to another deliberately misused word, "gay".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bootis4745. Show bootis4745's posts

Doom and Gloom Predictions? (NOT) Concern (YES)

The only thing about Baseball (sports in general) is that it is predictably unpredictable. There is no way for any of us to foresee the outcome of this season with any degree of certainty. As always happens, injuries play a significant toll at this time of the year and this team has them now

Crawford - Here is a guy that is having a bad season, especially for him and his past numbers. He, like others have can get hot and turn his season around and play a huge role in getting us deep into the playoffs. The past does not always equal the future. He is too good an athlete to continue playing at the poor level he has so far demonstrated for us this year.

Collectively we have enough Guys that can get the job done, but everyone now must pull together and do their part. I think they can get it done in the next few weeks and remaining games.

Starting Pitching: Here is where we might be in Big Trouble! Bucky is gone, Wakefield is not very good and he continually gets behind by giving up early runs much like Lacky. Lacky is just consistently awful. As mentioned here already, his record (W-L) is deceptively misleading. His ERA is poor and he constantly gets behind early in games and typically gives up 3-5 runs from which we must come from behind to help out his W-L Record.

This year, I truly believe we are better than the Yanks but I am not sure we can win the Division. Frankly, I am getting tired of finishing second to them. I do think we will make the Playoffs but everyone must get hot from here to the end and the Pitching Starters must do better if we have any chances beyond the first round.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

1st place, wildcard, really no differenence.  Sox have murdered the Yanks at the Stadium---fenwayjack2
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
     Something tells me this year we should play the rest of the season. Maybe the Yanks get lucky.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]"Bigot" and "hate" are deliberately misused words to denounce disagreement and dissent. They are akin to "unamerican" in the 1950s". Nothing could be more bigoted than attaching physical identity to another deliberately misused word, "gay".
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Conversely, you are constantly pointing tothe "bigotry" on this board and in the Sox Nation as a whole.  Does the same deliberate misuse of words apply to you?  Or only to others?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to SHAUNESSEY TOLLS THE WARNING BELL:
    [QUOTE]Normally I find Dan Shaunessy as abrasive as sandpaper toiletpaper, but his article today was correct.  How much can Els and Pedey carry this team? How much do they have left?  I'm sorry but Gonzo is Al Davis - Mr. abstain - right now.  With Youk and Papi out who else will help?  At the beginning of the year, I told everyone to not talk to me until June or July and then I'd make judgments about these Sox and about Crawford.  Well it's August now and I've given up on Carl and am officially worried about the Sox.  My prediction a 3 win and 5 loss road trip ( 2-2 vs. KC and 1 and 3 vs. Texas).  Drop 2 of 3 to the Yanks and they are 4 or 5 games out when September rolls in with only a 4-5 game WC lead.  Is that enough to worry the nation?  God, I hope I'm wrong!
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

This OP is filled with humoungous contraditions, the most striking of which is you promised to get back with your judgments about this team in June or July?  Well, where the heck were you because we are getting near the end of August.

I think you just want to find the best moment to be as negative as possible. 

My response is the following.  Things look bleak right now because of, guess what, injuries.  Two opening day starters are on the DL and likely to remain there.  Two others, the two best starters, missed starts.  The backup starters are guys like Wakefield, Bedard (obtained by trade and looking pretty good so far), Miller, and Aceves.   

Worse, the hitting that has relied on five stalwarts--Jake, Pedey, AGon, Youk, and Papi--is now down to 2-3 stalwarts, depending on whether that neck problem is going to continue to plague AGon.  When those guys were humming, the Sox had the best offense in MLB and all five were in the top ten in OPS in the American League. 

So my question of you is, why now?  Why this golden moment to make your assessment know?  My only possible explanation is that you have all along been hoping for a collapse and have seized this opportunity. 

I do not for a moment accept your "I hope I'm wrong" baloney because it is manifestly insincere.  Anyone who has actually been following and supporting the Sox this season sees the current situation as not good, but not as some sort of proof that the Sox were lousy all along. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYASO#7. Show JYASO#7's posts

Shaunessy is an idiot--- next subject!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Conversely, you are constantly pointing tothe "bigotry" on this board.

Difference is that I'm not censoring dissent or misusing the word for that purpose. De facto player movement and player popularity and disdain is manifest in physical skin pigmentation. It's reflected from the front office down to management hire and retention decisions.

Contrast that with federalism policies that endorse a Statist enforced dogma that denounces Billy Graham as an intolerant hating bigot.

For all the history of repression and anger among American culture, the irony is the intensely totalitarianism that is the essense of 60's body politic and self indulgent expediency motivated social engineering. Thought police, "affirmative action", identity based censorship and federal retaliation are the calling cards of Leftist hypocrisy. And despite the proud self-righteous pandering to the Wards of modern federalism, my generation has engineered the most unproductive, violent, decadent and disturbed society in American history.

Nothing about modern federalism represents the American Spirit of it's founders and it's Creator.