Shin-Soo Choo has deal with the Rangers -7 years !!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Shin-Soo Choo has deal with the Rangers -7 years !!

In response to S5's comment:

This does leave Boras in a bad light.  He either lied about the $140 offer from the Yankees or he failed to get the most money he could for his client by demanding $153M.  Essentially turning down the $140 from the Y's cost Choo $10M. 

While I'm sure Choo will live quite nicely on $130M, $10M is a pretty fair chunk of change for your agent to have cost you. 

[/QUOTE]

sorry boras haters

on MLBTR

".......The Yankees may have been willing to reach the $140MM level in a seven-year pact with Choo, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. But the lack of state income tax in Texas boosted the value of the Rangers' offer, and Choo apparently also preferred to join Texas."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

eIn response to southpaw777's comment:

Ellsbury is the best all around leadoff hitter in MLB. Choo is a close 2nd.

Much more speed, much better splits. lower OBP, but plenty enough for a leadoff guy. He disrupts pitchers much more than Choo does. That, to me anyway, makes him the better LO hitter.

Ells is not better than Choo southpaw period.  Defensively yes, offensively not a chance stats don't lie.  Choo's OBP is 40 points higher, he has above normal speed, power is more durable and can bunt.

[/QUOTE]

what no old schoolers among us

leading off used 2  B  all about scoring runs

ells edges choo out as best  lead off hitter ;-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This does leave Boras in a bad light.  He either lied about the $140 offer from the Yankees or he failed to get the most money he could for his client by demanding $153M.  Essentially turning down the $140 from the Y's cost Choo $10M. 

While I'm sure Choo will live quite nicely on $130M, $10M is a pretty fair chunk of change for your agent to have cost you. 

[/QUOTE]

orry boras haters

on MLBTR

".......The Yankees may have been willing to reach the $140MM level in a seven-year pact with Choo, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. But the lack of state income tax in Texas boosted the value of the Rangers' offer, and Choo apparently also preferred to join Texas."

[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's any doubt that the Yankees (and Mets) are in a disadvantageous position when it comes signing players due to the state income tax.  It's probably one reason why salaries are as high as they are.  There's no doubt that a $100MM salary doesn't go as far in New York as it does in Arlington TX.

This isn't intended in a smarmy way, but what does it say about the Yankees that Choo would prefer to join Texas?  Is that what it's becoming now?  That the Yankees are no longer the most desirable club to play for?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

eIn response to southpaw777's comment:

Ellsbury is the best all around leadoff hitter in MLB. Choo is a close 2nd.

Much more speed, much better splits. lower OBP, but plenty enough for a leadoff guy. He disrupts pitchers much more than Choo does. That, to me anyway, makes him the better LO hitter.

Ells is not better than Choo southpaw period.  Defensively yes, offensively not a chance stats don't lie.  Choo's OBP is 40 points higher, he has above normal speed, power is more durable and can bunt.

[/QUOTE]

what no old schoolers among us

leading off used 2  B  all about scoring runs

ells edges choo out as best  lead off hitter ;-)

[/QUOTE]

I'm an old schooler zac and wish you luck with Ells but just think Choo will have a longer career. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree somewhat with both of you.  However as a leadoff man, I think the importance of getting on base has to be the #1 desire.  I don't think the HR thing is very important because most teams want people on base for their big guns to drive in.  Choo will thrive in Texas because of their lineup and Ells will thrive in NY also because of their lineup.  If I have to pick one over the other, I'll go with Ells for overall offense/defense.  That said neither one is worth the contract they got...but money talks.

[/QUOTE]

Hitting HRs from the 1 slot is nice, especially for those late game situations where a bottom of the order guy gets on with 2 outs and you need a two-run blast to tie it. Hoping for 2-3 hits from your 1-2-3 hitters is harder than just one crank.

I do think OBP is way more important than speed from the one slot, and Ellsbury is a much better fielder than Choo, but looking at just who I would prefer to lead off, I'll take Choo.

[/QUOTE]

My real issue with Choo is that vs a LH pitcher, you have .215 hitter (last year) with no HR power whatsoever.  At least with Ells you still have a hitter vs LH pitching.  I wouldn't cry about being stuck with either one though.

[/QUOTE]

With the leadoff man, it's more about OBP than BA, and although Choo struggles vs LHPs, so does Ellsbury.

Career/2013  BA/OBP/SLG/OPS

vs LHPs: 

Choo .243/.340/.341/.680  and .215/.347/.265/.612

Ellsb  .286/.343/.390/.733 and .246/.323/.318/.641

vs RHPs: 

Choo .309/.411/.521/.932 and .317/.457/.544/1.011

Ellsb .302/.353/.460/.813 and .328/.374/.489/.863

Choo had a better OBP vs LHPs in 2013 and is just .003 away from Jacoby in OBP vs LHPs career. Jacoby has a much better SLG% vs lefties, but that is less important from the leadoff spot.

However, Choo blows Jacoby away vs RHPs in OBP and SLG%.

Overall:

Career

Choo .288/.389/.465/.854

Ellsb .297/.350/.439/.789

Choo .285/.423/.462/.885

Ellsb .298/.355/.426/.781

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's no state income tax here in Texas.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

[QUOTE]

It's looking more and more like JBJ is going to be he CF on opening day.  Choo was the last FA whom I thought might be signable to play the position.  And no, I'm not saying the Sox should have signed him for that contract.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Maniac, How's it going? No State income tax in Texas!!!!! And a better team than NY! He did good

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

In response to upperco1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's looking more and more like JBJ is going to be he CF on opening day.  Choo was the last FA whom I thought might be signable to play the position.  And no, I'm not saying the Sox should have signed him for that contract.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Maniac, How's it going? No State income tax in Texas!!!!! And a better team than NY! He did good

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, hadn't read page 2 yet! LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I wanted Choo for the Red Sox. For next year, I believe he would have been just as valuable as Giancarlo Stanton. However, 7 years is just too long for a 31 year old, especially at that price.

Texas is now the 2nd best team in the American league IMO.

In Choo's position, I would have preffered the Rangers at 130 to Yankees at 140. His home is in Arizona. Texas is much closer. Plus the Rangers train in Arizona for 6 weeks a year. Cost of living and taxes. Plus I think the Rangers are a better team and organisation. Slightly better hitters park. Better weather if you like the heat.  And unless you prefer the hustle and bustle of a major city, Texas is just a much better place to live. NEW YORK CITY??? in my best Texas accent.

Sad to say, but Boras wins again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boras makes less as his percent is off the contract total, but I agree, Choo did better with $130M in Texas dollars vs $140M NYC dollars.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Last time I made 130 million, I didnt care about the cost of living

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I'd take Ells over Choo is this debate, good points on all sides.  Agree with sp on Ells ability to disrupt the pitcher's rhythm and concentration, especially in big playoff games.  Not as disruptive as Ricky Henderson was, but disruptive plenty all the same. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]JBJ will be our starting C F in 2014....... Looking forward to it !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I'm looking forward to it, but I've accepted it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE] Follow Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

Shin-Soo Choo has deal with rangers. 7 years. details to come.

So what ?

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I'm looking forward to it, but I've accepted it.

[/QUOTE]Why not, we all embraced Jacoby during a pennant race of 2007.....  We were all captured by Jacoby's speed..... I think that Red Sox Nation is going to emrace JBJ's defense, arm, speed & the bat too..... A lot less than $153MIL of crazy BORA$$ money !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Why not, we all embraced Jacoby during a pennant race of 2007.....  We were all captured by Jacoby's speed..... I think that Red Sox Nation is going to emrace JBJ's defense, arm, speed & the bat too..... A lot less than $153MIL of crazy BORA$$ money !!

[/QUOTE]
    For the kind of money Ellsbury got, I agree completely.  I was one of those people in that fantasy world thinking/hoping Ells MIGHT take a hometown discount to stay in Boston.  When that didn't happen I realized that it was probably going to be JBJ for better or worse.

Defensively he's going to complement Victorino just fine - possibly better than Ellsbury, but in spite of what I posted recently about finding other ways to score runs I think most people underestimate what Ellsbury brought to the offense.  JBJ will not replace Ellsbury on that side of the ball.

::Sidebar:: See Bill?  When you put up an intelligent post sans the politics people will respond well to it.  That's not so hard, now is it?  :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE] Follow Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

Shin-Soo Choo has deal with rangers. 7 years. details to come.

[/QUOTE]

Another over paying contract .... but Shin-Soo can be pleased I'm sure. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

This should be a very interesting AL West...somebody is going to be after some of our pitching.

This will be fun in the West and East and the Central is already up for grabs. 

There are a lot of good teams out there. Glad Choo went to Texas and not NY.

The O's may get Rodney which will make them tough. 

I like the Sox chances with some young kids; this may be our bridge year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[/QUOTE]
     When that didn't happen I realized that it was probably going to be JBJ for better or worse.

Defensively he's going to complement Victorino just fine - possibly better than Ellsbury, but in spite of what I posted recently about finding other ways to score runs I think most people underestimate what Ellsbury brought to the offense.  JBJ will not replace Ellsbury on that side of the ball.

[/QUOTE]

Just remember Bogy and JBJ are also Boras clients so it probably won't last forever in Boston with either of them.  Hopefully we can all enjoy a few good years before the Sox let them walk. 

Too bad baseball has turned into a circus for the greedy/wealthy and/or stupid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

You know having Boras represent your players isn't all bad. He probably runs a pretty tight ship and he has high expectations of his players. No one is going to have them all 100 % in line-some may go the route of HDH or whatever--but for the most part they are good citizens.

If Xander and JBJ are clients---I wonder how many other Sox players are?

If we get 5-6 very profitable years out of at least those two and then get some FA signing draft pick we may have done well. If also in the meantime one decides not to follow Boras and the Sox make a Pedroia type $100 M offer early enough---Sox and fans wins Boras gets only a nice payday not a bonanza payday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I'll take Lead-off batter that won 2 WS.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to upperco1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey  UP!! Long time no hear-from!

Things are cold and snowy here in the great frozen Northeast.  I know I got your email address - but I lost it in an unfortunate hard-drive crash.  :-((  Email me if you've still got mine and we'll talk about Florida in March.... or whatever.

Sections
Shortcuts