Short leash for Buchholz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Short leash for Buchholz

Scherzer had a fantastic first outing and totally outclassed Buck. I don't think we can give up five runs again waiting for him to come out of the game. They might just leave him in to protect any lead they can get.

So I'm in favor of pulling a Joe Maddon if necessary and yanking Buchholz very early if need be to keep the game close. We can put together some combination of Dubront, Workman, Dempster, etc., to get to the better part of our bullpen, and hurting someone's feelings along the way is irrelevant to me.

Buch has not returned to his pre sleeping-injury form, and I want to lock this thing up on Saturday, without going to a game seven where anything can happen. Lackey's last game was brilliant, but I don't want to have to duplicate that performance in order to advance.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Short leash for Buchholz

well INHO I think that Buch is gonna come out totally jacked for what will be the most important game of his career knowing that with the wild screaming fans of red sox nation behind him, all he needs is for the offense to get him some run support early and he will be awesome. JF is gonna pull out all the stops for this one boys and girls. positively the key is that we have to score first and get a good couple of runs up on the board. our hitters are gonna work their pitcher to be sure. very selective and no swinging out of the strike zone or in the dirt. and when they get on, run run run. You can bet yer bippy that Leland and his tigers are not at all happy coming into our yard knowing that they would have to win 2 in a row. it ends tomorrow.

Hammah out!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Buck will be on his game.

I'd like to see him go 6 1/3 - w/ 8 outs from the pen

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Buck will be on his game.

I'd like to see him go 6 1/3 - w/ 8 outs from the pen

I agree. I think Buchholz is going to pitch very well and that we will manage to beat Scherzer in game 6. When he is on, Bucky is even better than Scherzer. His ERA was below 2 before he got hurt. He can be very very tough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

I really hope Sox closes the series with game 6.  I hate the image of Verlander pitching a game 7, even if it is in Boston.

I think Sox will have a good pitching strategy for Bucholz, and he should be able to execute on that if he is 100% healthy.  If he falters, I am sure between Depmster, Doubront and Workman will be warmed up.

As long as Farrell doesn't wait until it gets to 5-0, and makes the moves, Sox should be able to go after Scherzer.

That is another thing Sox need to establish against Scherzer, get to him early, and often.  That will allow for Bucholz to pitch aggressively with the lead.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If our lead off guy gets on and we can keep their lead off guy off - that will be the key.  I want to se Hunter take the collar and Ellsbury swipe 3 bags........

Do you realize that we have never been in the driver's seat in a 7 game ALCS before?  NEVER EVER EVER......We've always had to fight from behind.......

PS - I think these boards are down to like 1 yankee fan.  AWESOME!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Remember when Maddon pulled Hellickson in Game 2 after he loaded the bases on 2 or 3 walks or maybe 2 walks and a single. We did not score. Had Farrell done the same with Peavy after he walked their weakest hitter on 4 pitches, we might have won that game 3-2 had they not scored the 5 runs. Do have him on a short leash & don't let Buch get us in more than a 3 run hole.

We need to play game 6 like it was # 7. I recall in this same series as Napoli in 1/2 his at bats, had strike outs and many wanted him to sit. He's gotten hot and saved us. My point is that the law of averages usually kicks in and Cabrera has not hit in key situations and Fielder was even booed as he has no RBIs in 37 at bats. I do not want them to turn around their slumps in Fenway.  If it weren't for VMart we'd won already but if it weren't for Napoli, they'd won already. Difference is our relief pitching but that is only effective if the game is close.

Love Pedey's remark that this series is why he's losing his hair.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Buch has not even been close to the same guy since he came back from injury. he was electric before he went on the DL. He needs to pitch well.  The odds of the Red Sox knocking Scherzer around is minimal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

3 runs no more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

On the other hand, Scherzer and Verlander don't pitch in Fenway very often.

Fox Sports in is love with the Detroit starting pitchers but has failed to mention that Detroit's staff plays half their games in a pitcher friendly park , while Red Sox pitchers are their equals pitching in a hitter's ballpark.

I wish Buck and McCarver would stop gushing over Detroit and start giving some credit to the team that is ahead in the series....and their entire pitching staff which is superior to Detroit's as a whole group.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Buchholz hasn't gotten beyond 5 innings recently and Farrell left him in too long 5 1/3 the last time out--he was getting hit hard and had given up 3 runs but Farrell stayed with him and didn't pull him until we were down 5-0. Hopefully that won't happen this time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

Scherzer had a fantastic first outing and totally outclassed Buck. I don't think we can give up five runs again waiting for him to come out of the game. They might just leave him in to protect any lead they can get.

So I'm in favor of pulling a Joe Maddon if necessary and yanking Buchholz very early if need be to keep the game close. We can put together some combination of Dubront, Workman, Dempster, etc., to get to the better part of our bullpen, and hurting someone's feelings along the way is irrelevant to me.

Buch has not returned to his pre sleeping-injury form, and I want to lock this thing up on Saturday, without going to a game seven where anything can happen. Lackey's last game was brilliant, but I don't want to have to duplicate that performance in order to advance.

No leash....   might hurt his neck again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Farrell should be teing Dempster to treat the game as if he is starting so he can be ready early if needed.   If Clay is "ON" then deals a nice 6 or 7 inning game Farrell can then turn on Morales, Workman, Tazawa, Beslow and Koji as regular "bullpen guy" to finish it out if need be.

It would be nice to see the Sox come out and somehow get a quick 4 or 5 runs on Scherzer and I think Clay would relax more and just deal his pitch arsenal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

If his delivery is smooth (first few pitches) and he's not trying to throw 94 mph (which he can't) and he catches the ball, gets his sign and throws it and he varies speeds (anywhewre between 80 and 90 will do), then he'll do fine,

If he shakes of Salty at any time in the first inning, I'd get someone up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Remember when Maddon pulled Hellickson in Game 2 after he loaded the bases on 2 or 3 walks or maybe 2 walks and a single. We did not score. Had Farrell done the same with Peavy after he walked their weakest hitter on 4 pitches, we might have won that game 3-2 had they not scored the 5 runs. Do have him on a short leash & don't let Buch get us in more than a 3 run hole.

The problem is that you often don't know which direction some of these guys are going.    Sanchez allowed three in the 2nd, but only one over the following four.  There is no real warning signs out there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

Buchholz hasn't gotten beyond 5 innings recently and Farrell left him in too long 5 1/3 the last time out--he was getting hit hard and had given up 3 runs but Farrell stayed with him and didn't pull him until we were down 5-0. Hopefully that won't happen this time.

When guys lose it that quickly, you don't really have any good solutions.

In the 3rd, it was 3 up and 3 down.  In the 4th, he allowed a HBP.  In the 5th, 3 up and 3 down.  In the 6th, he gets the first guy, then allows 4 hits in 5 batters.  You don't have guys getting warmed up that quickly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

3 runs no more.

I'm not sure three runs is going to get it done. The way we have been swinging the bats, we may need a shutout. Cuck is out best pitcher, talent wise. If anybody can do it, it would be him. I do NOT want to see another Lckey vs Verlander matchup.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I would have the bullpen ready by the 5th inning. Dempster, Doubront, Workman? If we can get 5 good innings out of him, get the BP ready.
    Tell you another thing, he's also ready to Pitch a Gem too. He's been a little out of whack since coming back, he's due to Pitch a beauty.

Farrell has to keep an eye out for him today. Farrell is about to really earn his pay.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to trouts' comment:

When guys lose it that quickly, you don't really have any good solutions.

In the 3rd, it was 3 up and 3 down.  In the 4th, he allowed a HBP.  In the 5th, 3 up and 3 down.  In the 6th, he gets the first guy, then allows 4 hits in 5 batters.  You don't have guys getting warmed up that quickly.

In the ALCS you better have your long relievers warm and ready to go at a moment's notice. This isn't the regular season where you worry about burning your bullpen out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

HBP is a sign, good post Trouts.

Sections
Shortcuts