Short Sample Encouraging Trends

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Short Sample Encouraging Trends

I'm not big on short samples size judgements, so take these numbers with a grain of salt.

It's nice to see these guys on offense turning it up a notch recently:
    (After 7 innings of tonights game)

Crawford: 6 of his last 11 ABs and 11 of his last 34.

Ellsbury: 12 of his last 29 ABs and 17 of hislast 43.

Salty: 8/26

VTek: 2/6 and 4/16 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Re: Short Sample Encouraging Trends

I'd call all those potential trend reversals. 

-Daf. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

What about Big Papi hitting meaningless home runs??? LOL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The team had a poor April - and CRAWBURY was in a funk.
    Now the team is playing better - and CRAWBURY is beginning to reap the fruits.

Coincidence?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Papi, 12/30 with 2 HR against Lefties. 

-Daf. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I cannot believe Adrian had the gaul to hit a home-run!  This will fly in the face of all those poor doubters to be sure.  Next thing you know Crawford will go 4-4 and the whole world will be turned upside-down.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I've seen at least 5 games now where the speed of Crawford or Ellsbury created a run. They created 2 runs today with their speed. It's starting to make a difference. Bill James is starting to earn his keep!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

They should run, always.  To not utilize speed is to make a critical mistake.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Papi, 12/30 with 2 HR against Lefties. 

It's freaky he is only 15/64 vs RHPs (.234)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The point is that he should play full-time.  Maybe you pull him against lefties in the late innings or sit him occasionally for a day of rest when a lefty is starting, but as I always maintained Ortiz is a full-time DH.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Short Sample Encouraging Trends:
    [QUOTE]The team had a poor April - and CRAWBURY was in a funk. Now the team is playing better - and CRAWBURY is beginning to reap the fruits. Coincidence?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

"CRAWBURY" That's good, I like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Salty is starting to come around too. Told ya! I've maintained since Spring Training that this guy is going to hit better than some think. I still blindly believe that he'll end up .255-.260ish, 10-12hr, and 65-75 RBI. Somebody shoot me, but I think his swing is too good NOT to do at least something. I think his trouble is that his swing is a little too long, and makes him late. Either start sooner or shorten up, but the overall stroke is pretty good. Ok, now I'm ready to get drilled by about a half a dozen Salty-haters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]Papi, 12/30 with 2 HR against Lefties.  It's freaky he is only 15/64 vs RHPs (.234)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Is that a new bad trend? Maybe he focused to much on hitting lefties in the off season. :)

The numbers really aren't enough to go on here, are they?

I trust my eyes though. Papi has had good at bats, seen lots of good pitches, and generally looks more at home at the plate than he has in a while.  I still believe the wrist was a big factor and it is healed. 

Now, this special hitter can get back to doing what he does best:

Making me happy! 

-Daf. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The point is that he should play full-time.  Maybe you pull him against lefties in the late innings or sit him occasionally for a day of rest when a lefty is starting, but as I always maintained Ortiz is a full-time DH.

Last spring I advocated for papi sitting vs all but about 5 selceted LH'd starters. Papi had a very good recent history vs those 5. I said he should sit vs the others as long as we had someone with better splits than him. There were times we did not, but the fact is in about 100 PAs vs those starters I felt Papi should have sat against, Papi had about a .500 OPS.

We don't know what his replacement would have done, but it's hard to imagine anyhting worse than that. I undertand the belief that he needed to keep plying to stay "sharp" for his games against RHPs, but I don't agree that striking out3 times in a game vs a LHPs keeps anyone sharper than a day off with extra batting practice.

I would have started this year off with Papi on the bench vs some/most LH'd starters, but the options we had to take his place were all needed in other areas perhaps more than with Papi. Crawford should not play vs almost all LHPs. I don't care about the $20M. Cameron ha been awesome vs LHPs and DMac is better as well.  Drew should sit vs some lefties as well, so there goes Cam and DMac as Papi replacements.

This spring I advocated for Lowrie to play 3B vs most LHPs, so Youk could "rest" at DH those games. Lowrie has been used at SS more than I would have liked, but Scutty was struggling at the plate in April.  So far it seems the right call was made by Tito. I would like nothing more than to eat serious crow on this position. I still think the final numbers will end up with Papi doing much better vs RHPs and having a sub .750 OPS vs LHPs (a big improvenent over 2009 and 2010). It will be hard for him to stay over .800, someting he hasn't done since 2007 at .852, but it certainly is possible.

We've faced a lot of lefties so far. Let's all hope he keeps going strong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now, this special hitter can get back to doing what he does best:

Making me happy! 

Dan, nobody can hit like Papi did for so many years and not have talent. He has made adjustments and can draw on a lot of experience to have a rejuvenated year.

I hope he starts getting some clutch hits like old times as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Great hitters are able to make the necessary adjustments.
    Papi is all to familiar with his numbers - his slow starts.
    My guess is, he studied the hell out of game video over the winter. Picked up on some flaws.

Having AGONE in the line-up is taking much pressure off Papi.
    AGONE is the best left-handed hitter I've seen since Papi in his absolute prime.                                            

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]Great hitters are able to make the necessary adjustments. Papi is all to familiar with his numbers - his slow starts. My guess is, he studied the hell out of game video over the winter. Picked up on some flaws. Having AGONE in the line-up is taking much pressure off Papi. AGONE is the best left-handed hitter I've seen since Papi in his absolute prime.                                            
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

But is AGONE as good Jose Offerman and Bill Mueller? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wasn't Offerman the one who got the LT suspension when he went batty in the minors?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Short Sample Encouraging Trends : But is AGONE as good Jose Offerman and Bill Mueller? 
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]Don't be dissing Bill Mueller. The year he had for us in 2004 was stellar.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Crawbury is a childish label. The team turned around when the starting pitching turned around and AGon, Youk and Ortiz started driving the ball. Crawbury, what a joke that is. AGYO, what a reality that is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Nice to see Scutaro hit that homer, after a lot of sitting. 2-4, good defense at SS. Lowrie has the defensive reflexes of a 50 year old man, meaning Wakefield. Lowrie can't handle anything but the cold corner.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Remember Tom, Lowrie has a lot of high ground to negotiate through dog days. We both know how durable and lopsided his splits are;) Adjustments coming for Lowrie, assuming he's vertical after about 100 games.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I didn't forget Youk was out. There were no "great plays" at third the other day. Tonight, Lowrie showed he's no defensive fit for the hot corner, either.

Let's see how your "no harm" ends up after a full season of work and what the windows end up looking light as the other needs manifest and the other options develop on the farm. There is a bigger picture than slobbering over Lowrie and no full seasons of everyday baseball role, even if he ends up proving he can withstand the physical and mental demands of being an everday MLB SS. We shall see, Tom-UK, we shall see.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgbpd. Show jjgbpd's posts

Here is another trend:  Nobody in the bullpen can pitch a clean inning.  It sure seems that way lately anyway!!  LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Two great plays at third on Sunday.

There were no "great plays" at third the other day

More deluded drivel.

Added: 05/01/2011Duration: 00:36
    5/1/11: Jed Lowrie stretches to his left to make a great snag on Luis Rodriguez's sharp grounder, then fires a strike to first for the out

Last year demonstrated the value of quality depth (money doesn't hurt).  The OF replacements (as a whole) last year were awful with the bat and the glove. Having Lowrie provides depth for injuries and a middle infielder with "pop".  I only knock Scutaro b/c of false assertions, but his response to the position battle is telling and 23 errors in 650 chances is poor.

Do you still say J-Low should have been benched in Sep. for Potemkin blah blah blah? How is your proclamation looking now?

Your insecurity is a sad infliction.

Sections
Shortcuts