Short Sample Trends II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Re: Short Sample Trends II

Sorry, Bill James, you don't get voted 5 gold gloves by the other teams' managers and coaches and have them all miss the mark. No need for "War and Peace", but be sure to read Bill James on Hermida, and read my short comments on what a bad reject he was.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm sure if this same article was writtn to prove jacoby was a terrible CF'er, someone would be jumping all over it....wait a minute, that did happen.

They'll be no retraction from the entrenched clown.

They'll be no retraction from the enlightned moonslav.

Jeter is not even an average fielding SS. Period. End of discussion.

This is not homerism. Gardner is 10 times the fielder Jacoby and is better that Gold glover Carl Crawford as well.

Wait a minute...isn't softy the one who says Carl stinks in the field, and yet the managers and coaches voted him a GG last year.

Hmm..... (Cue time for another goalpost movement)

The absurdity goes on and on and on and...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury has one of the lowest OBP's of the everyday players...

I'm not sure where you get your numbers, but although clowns often lie, numbers don't.

Despite your reactionary captious troll, it was implicit tht "lowest OBP's of the everyday players" was the Red Sox everyday players, dude.

Umm, dude, ever heard of context? Here's a rerun...

I hope that OBP keeps rising. It's almost at th 2009 level (.355), but to be considered a great leadoff man, he needs to get it over .370 in my opinion.

Gardner's is higher, plus, as you note, Gardner is a much better defender. Ellsbury has one of the lowest OBP's of the everyday players.

If Ellbury has "gap power" then a lot of slap hitter around the league have "gap power". The one hit Ellbury got, last night, was slap power that was well placed, not "gap power".

You were replying to my post about what Jacoby needs to be a top leadoff man in MLB. You compared him to Gardner, a Yankee right before your statement about having "one of the lowest OBP's of the everyday players". Right afterwards, you went on to compare his "gap power" to other "slap hitters around the league".

No way-no how is it implicit you meant "lowest the Red Sox everyday players"....dude. The context of the statement and debate was across the league.

Why not go back to explaining how Drew is one of the best LF'ers in Sox history.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I've always been an Ellsbury fan, and his detractors here always surprised me. Is he Willie Mays? No. But he could be Willie Davis (Mr 31 Game hit streak, FWIW), or optimistically, Matty Alou, or if he gets better with the glove, maybe a Curt Flood (But not quite the arm). However, he will eventually have more power than those guys. Also, apparently concerns about his makeup in 2010 seems to have been quelled.

Let's just look back at the recent Yankee series. It is possible that in the 1st and last games of that series, Ellsbury was involved on the most important plays. In the 1st game, Ellsbury was on the front end of a pefectly executed H & R with Pedroia; this kept the inning alive, rattled Joba, and resulted in the Youkilis opposite field HR. In the 3rd game, Ellsbury was on 2nd, distracting Freddie Garcia (who, given his 2011 Stu Miller-like stuff, cannot afford to be distracted), who then served up a meatball to Youkilis. I was thinking at the time "let him steal 3rd, and concentrate on the hitter". (In general, I believe the pitcher should be more concerned about the hitter.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

As usual you are doing a great job at pretending to be a Yankee fan who is actually a Red Sox fan.  Your boss found a great employee who will play that that con game. Have you no shame? Why shouldn't the forum be kept alive with honest posters? We come here wanting sincerity and honesty but not game playing. Shame on you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Jeter is one of the more enigmatic SSs ever, especially with the new metrics. It was even covered in a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode and the reference to a "postage stamp" defense for him is a fitting metaphor. However, the Jeter analysis is far from perfect, IMO. Errors are not covered, yet the SS position has The MOST errors of any on the field, and is a category in which Jeter excels in. How about relays, where Jeter is one of the greatest ever? Remember the relay in the '99 ALCS? How about the "flip" play in '01? The "stands" play a few days later? His DP pivot, his arm? His ability to tag runners out, and receive throws, including errant ones? His plays deep in the hole, that was supposedly covered by the above analysis? His intangibles? And who does Bill James work for? Also, I heard the new fangled measures would be unkind to Phil Rizzuto, a lifetime .273 hitter, who played on 5 straight WS champs, and 9 total in 13 seasons, and who Ted Williams claimed was the reason the Yankees won and the RS lost. I also believe the defensive metrics will evolve much more in the next 10-20 yrs, i.e, it's not even close to a reliable, finished product. So I say to claim Jeter is arguably the worst SS in history borders on the hilarious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

Why aren't you on a Yankee forum? It is obvious that you belong there. Instead you prefer to come here. Why is that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Because I subscribe to the Boston Globe. You're now on ignore. Finally, you may be an alias.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Beltre has 2 GG's. Over 13 seasons. Why only two?
    They give to Chavez like it was his yearly allowance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There were fans here last year ripping Beltre for having 8 too many errors. Forget that he saved 30+ hits, some doubles.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Speaking of short sample trends:

VTek 5 of his last 13 ABs. (and 8/27)

Jacoby 7 of his last 18 after the game his streak ended.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Speaking of season samples, Lowrie v. RHP is BA .259, OBP .302, zero homers, and 5 extra base hits in 77 PA.

Bellsbury v. LHP has a BA .243 OBP .317 and SLG .378 0 homers

Cameron v. LHP has a BA .174 OBP .269 and SLG .435 2 homers

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: Short Sample Trends II:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of season samples, Lowrie v. RHP is BA .259, OBP .302, zero homers, and 5 extra base hits in 77 PA.   Bellsbury v. LHP has a BA .243 OBP .317 and SLG .378 0 homers Cameron v. LHP has a BA .174 OBP .269 and SLG .435 2 homers
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]
    Yes, we all know Cameron is a horrible player. What is your point?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Oregon boys:

Jed

Pitches seen last night    31

OPS rank SS                  3rd

Slg rank  SS                  3rd

OPS  Tulo .857  J-Low  .856

Jacoby  .302  .358  .457

leadoff avg A.L. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

One of Jacoby's past tendencies had been to not get on base as much when he's in the lead off slot in the line-up.

This year: .331/.380/.457/.837

(.306/.348 when leading off an inning)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Career Comparison:

AB BA OBP SLG OPS SB CS  SB%
    Ellsbury 1534 .292 .345 .410 .756 149 28 84.2%
    Gardner 965 .265 .356 .370 .726 91 21 81.2%

Overall, Ells has better offense and I am pretty sure this will hold up long term.  We've already discussed their defense and I don't think there is any disagreement on that.

That said, they are both players any GM would want ... not HOF'ers but definitely solid players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

I hear the Mariners need a lousy defensive SS and CF'er with weak 2011 and or career splits v. RHP. Maybe the two "Oregon Good ole boys".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]I hear the Mariners need a lousy defensive SS and CF'er with weak 2011 and or career splits v. RHP. Maybe the two "Oregon Good ole boys".
    Michael Terrance Cameron was born January 8, 1973 in LaGrange, Georgia. He is not an Oregon good ol' boy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Scutaro's from Oregon?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]I hear the Mariners need a lousy defensive SS and CF'er with weak 2011 and or career splits v. RHP. Maybe the two "Oregon Good ole boys".

maybe you should go back over to your yankee board and find fault with YOUR TEAM!!!!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Bill Hall, 2 for 3 and 2 RBI's, today. Has had one league elite season, but a real warrior who will do anytying for the team instead of seeking his next contract. He's also better looking than Lowrie.

softhead=yankee troll

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Earlier the same clown was saying how Drew was one of the best Sox LF'ers of all time, so that should tell you what he drinks for dinner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Bill Hall On Pace To Break Records

Ed Wade has obviously had some questionable signings in the past.

There was the Shawn Chacon incident. There was the trade for Oscar Villareal (Wade also signed him to a 2.85 M extension and released him three months later). There was also the trade for Miguel Tejada. I could go on, but such a list is a tad too depressing.

And then there's Bill Hall. Somehow, this man is still starting.

Star-divide

I have nothing personal against Bill Hall. I'm sure he's a nice guy. And it looks like he meshes well in the clubhouse.

But the guy couldn't hit off Fernando Abad. Or Nelson Figueroa. And that's saying something. Why he's still starting is beyond me. Bill Hall has struck out in 40 of his 111 at-bats. Yes, he has struck out more times than the amount of games he's played in.

To give some perspective, Hall is on pace to set the record for most strikeouts in a season. Mark Reynolds currently holds the belt at 223, but Hall is on pace to strike out nearly 240 times. Granted, he must get those at bats to strike out that many times.

So maybe he won't break it. But that would suggest benching him, and such a move is too rational for the Astros to make.

Bill Hall chose to come to Houston to have a chance to start. And it's becoming apparent why no other GM gave him a chance. But hey, Ed Wade believes in him. And Brandon Lyon

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Embarrassing is the following statements:

1. Lowrie is an elite MLB SS

2. 5 gold gloves mean nothing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hall won't break that record. The Astros are already talking about trading him. He will be on the bench, again, too much to get a chance at any record.