Shortstop depth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Shortstop depth

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

With Bogaerts now with the Sox, let's take a look at our much heralded shortstop depth in the minors:  Pawtucket - Meneses, batting .200- just promoted from Portland , where he hit .255.    Portland - Deven Marrero- batting .211, recently promoted from Salem , where he hit .256.    Salem -  Natoli, batting .189.   Greenville -  Vinicio , batting .202.   Lowell -  Lin , batting .227.   Folks , that is what we are calling " shortstop depth."  Our " position of strength." 

Funny how fans said same thing about Iggy's minor league stats and are now complaining that he's gone?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How a player scouts means much more than a BA when evaluating young prospects in the minors.

Vinicio has yet to fill out and is still very young, Marrero might not have the numbers but he has the most important tool for hitting...good hands and plus speed.  You can't teach that, I'm not saying he WILL hit, but it's possible.  Too often minor league players put up great numbers and everyone salivates over them cause they read box scores but the player flames out in the upperminors because they just don't have the tools to keep up with advanced players E.G. Travis Shaw in Portland.  

Both those guys are elite defenders now.

Betts came into the organization as a SS and was not overly impressive; his defensive tools play at a much higher level at 2nd.  If he looks more like a utility infielder in the higher minors I'm sure he will get reps there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

How a player scouts means much more than a BA when evaluating young prospects in the minors.

Vinicio has yet to fill out and is still very young, Marrero might not have the numbers but he has the most important tool for hitting...good hands and plus speed.  You can't teach that, I'm not saying he WILL hit, but it's possible.  Too often minor league players put up great numbers and everyone salivates over them cause they read box scores but the player flames out in the upperminors because they just don't have the tools to keep up with advanced players E.G. Travis Shaw in Portland.  

Both those guys are elite defenders now.

Betts came into the organization as a SS and was not overly impressive; his defensive tools play at a much higher level at 2nd.  If he looks more like a utility infielder in the higher minors I'm sure he will get reps there.

Good points.

notin made a good point on another thread: where was the outrage that we lost Punto? Here was a guy who has been one of the top fielding SSs in recent years, but hits in the low 200's.

I realize Iggy had potential to get better on offense, and he showed signs of it this year, but finding great glove-poor bat inexpensive SSs is not a hard task.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I would agree with you if I concurred that Bogaerts is the shortstop of the future. I think the team would have been better off in the future with Iglesias at short and Bogaerts at third or left field. The trade will look better if Peavy can prove to be a difference maker in the rotation. That remains to be seen. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

That remains to be seen? Did you like what Peavy did on Sunday night?  Tell me the last time a Red Sox starter had a complete game, 9 inning victory? And to boot, against the hottest team in baseball in years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

I would agree with you if I concurred that Bogaerts is the shortstop of the future. I think the team would have been better off in the future with Iglesias at short and Bogaerts at third or left field. The trade will look better if Peavy can prove to be a difference maker in the rotation. That remains to be seen. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

That remains to be seen? Did you like what Peavy did on Sunday night?  Tell me the last time a Red Sox starter had a complete game, 9 inning victory? And to boot, against the hottest team in baseball in years.

[/QUOTE]

Of course I liked what he did Sunday night.  Were you waiting to see how he did before responding ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Of course I liked what he did Sunday night.  Were you waiting to see how he did before responding ?

[/QUOTE]

My guess is that if Peavy imploded against the Dodgers, you'd have mentioned it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My guess is that if Peavy imploded against the Dodgers, you'd have mentioned it.

[/QUOTE]

That is true. I probably would have.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Various recent sample size looks at Peavy:

2012-2013         2013             2nd Half '13

out of 78 starters      out of 113         out of 126

WAR  21st (6.6)       55th (1.9)         T67th (0.6)

ERA-  21st (85)        55th (95)          53rd (84)

WHIP  7th (1.09)     16th (1.09)      10th (0.99)