Should Ben go ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Should Ben go ?

Its because someone BELIEVES you are good. Examples of that gone wrong are plentiful right in our back yard: Lackey, DiceK, Beckett, Crawford....and Epstein is another example IMO.

And there are plenty of examples of what went right.  Basically culminating in 2 WSC and 2 times in G7 of the ALCS, 93+ wins per year, and designated as the best GM in BB by Sports Illustrated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its because someone BELIEVES you are good. Examples of that gone wrong are plentiful right in our back yard: Lackey, DiceK, Beckett, Crawford....and Epstein is another example IMO.

And there are plenty of examples of what went right.  Basically culminating in 2 WSC and 2 times in G7 of the ALCS, 93+ wins per year, and designated as the best GM in BB by Sports Illustrated.

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone thinks that he is that good now. I will agree that he WAS that good until 07 when he lost his way:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2012/08/27/red-sox-were-left-in-disarray-by-theo-espstein/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tomjoad544's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I vote yes. Almost none of his acquisitons panned out. Why is he getting a free ride? He was with the organization last year and the GM this year. I've seen all I need to see.

[/QUOTE]

NO-N0-NO-

LARRY MUST GO!- Yes I know the caps is on  and I am shouting it.  What good has he done for this team?  Oh - those monster seats are nice!

[/QUOTE]

Exatly right! As long as Lucchino keeps sticking his nose into daily baseball operations nothing will change with this team. So you get rid of Cherrington and replace him with ____ (fill in the blank) and Lucchino still pulls the strings, does anyone honestly expect there will be any difference? Until John Henry grows a pair and tells Lucchino to stay the hell away from the baseball diamond, nothing, I repeat, nothing, Nothing, NOTHING will change.

[/QUOTE]

O.K. Ignore me all you like, but I repeat and I repeat... NOTHING WILL CHANGE!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ben took over as GM in October of 2011. Here are the significant deals or moves he made (I lumped some together.)...

1) Accepted Scutaro option

2) Declined options on Wheeler and Atchison

3) Offered arb to Ortiz (Papi accepted) & Wheeler (Dan declined)

4) Did NOT offer arb to: Drew, Bedard, VTek, Wake, T Miller, and C. Jackson

5) Re-signed Lowrie and minor league deals to Ciriaco, Padilla, Cook, Gomez, Rich Hill, Wheeler, Ohlendorf, & Okajima

6) Signed Shoppach

7) Traded Lowrie & Weiland for Melancon

8) Traded Reddick, Head & Alcantara for Bailey & Sweeney 

9) Traded Scutaro for Mortensen

10) re-signed: Ortiz, Ellsbury, Aviles, Bailey, Salty, Aceves, Bard, Miller, Albers, Sweeney & Morales

11) Signed Cody Ross

12) Obtained Cris Carpenter & Aaron Kurcz for the Theo Epstein move

13) Traded Bowden for Byrd

14) Traded cash for Podsednick

15) Traded Youkilis for Z. Stewart & Lillibridge

16) Signed internation FAs Tzu Wei Lin, L Ramos, J Rodriguez, J Almonte & J Guerra 

17) Released Jenks and DMac

18) Traded Lillibridge for Jose De La Torre & Lars Anderson for Steven Wright

19) Traded Albers & Podsednick for Breslow, then re-signed Pods as a FA

20) Traded Shoppach for Beato & cash for Quiroz

21) Traded AGon, CC, Beckett, Punto & cash for Loney, Webster, DeJesus, de la Rosa, & Sands

22) Signed Sox top 21 draft picks, including 5 picks in the top overall 118 picks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also Upton is not realistic

He most certainly is.

He should have traded Ellsbury last winter.

He should have started the season with Ciriaco and Iglesias, instead of Aviles and Punto, who incompetently was offered a 2 year contract in what amounted to bidding against the Red Sox in a 1 year market for an old limited UIF'er. 

He should have started the season with Middlebrooks at 3rd, and traded Youk over the winter.

He should have traded Beckett over the winter for a middle tier starter with good numbers v. AL East, and thrown in up to 30% of trhe remaining contract to get rid of the biggest player problem on the team. It's no surprise that the pitching staff went south under this indolent bum. He was never more than a follower who had above average talent but below average dedication to the team sports business. He was a cancer on the pitching staff in both dedication and leadership.

Assuming he claims he was against Crawbust's contract offer, or not, he should have kept Crawford to 2013 and looked to write off as much of his contract as possible as soon as Crawford put up decent numbers to the summer and/or to the end of 2013

He should have kept AGon and acquired J. Upton to put with him in the middle of the lineup

Just to name a few.

[/QUOTE]

So basically you wantEd to dump Ellsbury, have a hitter who only hits against the Yankees, a hitter who does not hit, not actually improve the pitching, waste another 22 million on Crawford which is almost twice as much as they put in the trade, and have two hitters who had worse seasons then Cody Ross making a combine 11 times more than him? I guess 69 wins was too much for. Maybe you should be the one who goes...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Assuming he claims he was against Crawbust's contract offer, or not, he should have kept Crawford to 2013 and looked to write off as much of his contract as possible as soon as Crawford put up decent numbers to the summer and/or to the end of 2013...

Typical softy.

First, he was totally against the CC signing (as was I).

Then, he wanted Jake benched and CC as the leadoff hitter.

Then, he bashed me for suggesting we should/could trade CC ASAP.

And now, when we dumped CC and nearly all of his salary, he writes this total drivel. Does he realy think we could have ended getting someone to pay even more of CC's deal after 2013- after we would have paid CC effectively about $20M.

The Dodger trade busted softy's bubble, and rather than admit he missed the boat, he stoops to this absurd idea.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Assuming he claims he was against Crawbust's contract offer, or not, he should have kept Crawford to 2013 and looked to write off as much of his contract as possible as soon as Crawford put up decent numbers to the summer and/or to the end of 2013...

Typical softy.

First, he was totally against the CC signing (as was I).

Then, he wanted Jake benched and CC as the leadoff hitter.

Then, he bashed me for suggesting we should/could trade CC ASAP.

And now, when we dumped CC and nearly all of his salary, he writes this total drivel. Does he realy think we could have ended getting someone to pay even more of CC's deal after 2013- after we would have paid CC effectively about $20M.

The Dodger trade busted softy's bubble, and rather than admit he missed the boat, he stoops to this absurd idea.

[/QUOTE]

It is funny he is implying he would have rather wasted 22+ whatever they would have to make a deal instead of the trade they made which freed up 260 of 272 mill dollars and give the Sox a MLB ready pitcher, a pitcher that maybe second only to Barnes in there system, a righty off the bench and an utility player. If either one of the pitchers work out it was a good trade, if both a great trade.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Signing Nick Punto to a two year contract was the essence of incompetence.

softy loved the Punto signing at the time. Loved his "defense and ability to play SS, 3B, and 2B". Now, he's pulling another Romney Flip.

Cody Ross didn't have a better season than J. Upton. In Fenway, Ross was a whopping .807 OPS in Fenway, while Upton had a down season with a .785 OPS which would have exploded in Fenway with AGon. 

Not sure where you get your numbers, maybe from Romney's "truth book". but Ross had a .921 "in Fenway" and .807 overall.  Funny how you refused to admit CC was nothing more than a glorified platoon player and should have been benched vs LHPs or at best put 9th, but you ridicule a guy who made just $3M this year and put up these numbers you think are not good enough to play beyong a platoon:

Pro-rated to 162 games (2012)

vs RHPs: .256  17  79

Away:     .232  22  80

CC could only dream of hitting this well vs LHPs, and you wanted him leading off fulltime. 

Cody Ross inn't anymore capable of playing more than a part-time season than Ellsbury.

Cody was 3rd in SOx PAs this year and has had these PAs the last 5 years:

506. 604,  569, 461 & 528

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

Re: Should Lucchino go?

I say yes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone thinks that he is that good now. I will agree that he WAS that good until 07 when he lost his way:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2012/08/27/red-sox-were-left-in-disarray-by-theo-espstein/

[/QUOTE]

The Cubs decided to make him the highest paid exec in BB.  That a business magazine may or may not agree is mostly irrelevant.

I didn't like the CC signing or the Jenks signing, but everything else was well-thought out.

2012 was a disaster, but we really don't know how it would've played out had Theo and Tito still been here.  A rookie GM and the worst manager in BB just set us up for failure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So basically you wantEd to dump Ellsbury,

No, I wanted to trade Ellsbury's last 2 years, instead of paying him about 20 million. I was right, he was nothing but a bum this season, which is typical for this guy who has problems showing up for work.  

have a hitter who only hits against the Yankees,

So, you wanted that bum, Aviles, who doesn't hit against anyone, while I wanted Ciriaco who gets on base and has terrific speed and fields very well with excellent range.

a hitter who does not hit,

Iglesias has a greater impact with his fielding in every game, even when doesn't hit at all. as opposed to a SS who can't field a lick or hit a lick.

not actually improve the pitching,

Getting rid of Beckett would have improved the pitching. But, the incompetent Cherry did nothing to improve the pitching, even assuming frat boy Beckett had nothing to do with the pitching staff performance.

Now, put up or shut up. Right now, give the specifics of who you and the incompetent Cherry are looking to acquire to improve the pitching. What's out there is either bums with no value beyond cheap one year deals or a few massive contracts like Lee that other teams are desparately trying to find a sucker for.

waste another 22 million on Crawford which is almost twice as much as they put in the trade,

Selling low on Crawford is what makes you and Cherry incompetent. You buy bums like he and Ellsbury high and then sell them low. Ellspuff is now seeking the same kind of deal that the incompetent GM's office that included Cherry offered 142 million for. Odds alone say that Crawford's final work with the 2012 Red Sox would be followed by a decent 2013 that would enable the Red Sox to trade him with an increased trade value during the summer. It also allows them to get rid of the embarrassing Ellspuff and still get rid of Crawford's embarrassing contract 6 to 12 months closer to Bradley, Jr.

For the record, they gave away AGon and sent at least 12 million to get rid of Beckett and Crawford. Crawford's cost for half a year is about 10 million and 20 million for a season. You must work for Osama Obama. Your numbers are wrong.

Ellsbury 2012 and 2013 will cost about 20 million.

and have two hitters who had worse seasons then Cody Ross making a combine 11 times more than him? I guess 69 wins was too much for. Maybe you should be the one who goes...

Cody Ross didn't have a better season than J. Upton. In Fenway, Ross was a whopping .807 OPS in Fenway, while Upton had a down season with a .785 OPS which would have exploded in Fenway with AGon. As for two players, it's pretty clear that the Red sox went from a marginal .500 team to a laughing stock when this "trade" was make. Cody Ross inn't anymore capable of playing more than a part-time season than Ellsbury. Had the Red Sox gone with J. Upton and AGon from opening day, got rid of Beckett, the leverage would have changed the production of both the offense and the run prevention that changes with game pressure from the opponent getting behind frequently, early.

The 69 wins are 100% on the incompetent GM Cherry. That is a fact. He did zero before the trade deadline and then did a desparate waiver wire deal to cover his own incompetence.

Signing Nick Punto to a two year contract was the essence of incompetence. Cherry vacillated and is now hoping that dumping his own mistakes saves his job by turning the Red Sox into the Twins.

I can't wait for the incompetent Cherry and his next moves. Sell low and buy high, and write off more mistakes.

[/QUOTE]

You are the only one in the world that thinks Aviles did not have a good season with the bat and a solid season with the glove. Ross played the 3rd most games on the team and proved to many he is an every day player. Your arguement is based on a fantasy world that is so far from reality you have become comical. You blast the trade that frees up 260 million dollars but proposed other trades and scenarios that would cost the Sox a lot more then 12 million. You also are critical for fixing mistakes some one else made. You know who would have looked real good a Red Sox this year Kuroda and for only 10 million he was a bargain.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

No

Sections
Shortcuts