Should Crawford be put back as #3 in the batting order?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Should Crawford be put back as #3 in the batting order?

After reading Gordon Edes article on ESPNBoston.com(  http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/columns/story?columnist=edes_gordon&id=6462563 )

I think he brought up a good point about putting Crawford back in the top 1/3 of the batting order.It probably would show him that Francona and the Red Sox have confidence in him and believe that is where he belongs as a hitter.It may not seem like a big deal but it could be a huge psychological lift for him.in addition,if he's going to go on a tear,that's the position that will help the team the most.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Should Crawford be put back as #3 in the batting order?

Please tell me this is a joke?  His ON BASE AVERAGE is BELOW THE MENDOZA LINE............

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The funny thing is that Carl Crawford based on who the RS have on their roster never should have been a number three hitter for this team. In fact aside from lead-off, he is a bad profile for the top three positions in the order. 

He is an free swinger making him a bad fit at #2 versus Pedroia who even when he is going bad will make more contact and that has lots of value in that position. Crawford versus Gonzalez is not even close. Youk versus CC at clean-up, advantage Youk. 

One sharp liner hit up the middle that the pitcher almost had a play on does not warrant moving Ellsbury who is hot down to the bottom third of the order qand Crawford up to show him the team has confidence in him. They are under .500 after one month and play in the toughest division in baseball.

Honestly Crawford probably is the #6 hitter versus RH starters given the roster and a pick 'em candidate along with Drew for a platoon versus tough LH.

Is $142M a lot of money to pay for a guy who hits 6 or 7 and throughout his career struggles versus LH pitching? Probably. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Crawford has to show that he can keep if front shoulder in during live AB's before he should be considered for a move up the lineup.

Maybe tonight he starts to show it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I don't get why everyone and their sister has no problem slotting Ellsbury # 9 at any hint of a slump but we have to worry about Crawford's "confidence" so much that we are supposed to slot him #3. Now? That might be the dumbest idea I've heard yet on this forum and that is a doozy.

Let him hit for a while down the order and then bring him up if warranted. Let's win some games and go with the real data in front of our face.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Based on what he did last year and given all the other aspects of our other hitters, I would have batted him 3rd vs RH's and 6th vs Lefties......

For now, I'd bat him 9th and then see how the season progresses.........I don't think I'd like to see him ever batting lead off though as long as we have Ellsbury and even Pedey.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Should Crawford be put back as #3 in the batting order?:
    After reading Gordon Edes article on ESPNBoston.com(   http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/columns/story?columnist=edes_gordon&id=6462563  ) I think he brought up a good point about putting Crawford back in the top 1/3 of the batting order.It probably would show him that Francona and the Red Sox have confidence in him and believe that is where he belongs as a hitter.It may not seem like a big deal but it could be a huge psychological lift for him.in addition,if he's going to go on a tear,that's the position that will help the team the most.  
    Posted by mrmojo1120

This is a great idea - unless it doesn't work.  Then it's an absolutely horrid idea.  IMO the top 1/3 of this order is set, and probably 1-5.  IF he goes on a tear this whole thing will become a problem that most teams would love to have, but let's wait until the tear starts before we displace any of the top 5. 

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when they picked CC up that there was going to be a logjam at the top of the order.  Crawford needs to realize his role on the team right now and that role is hitting in the bottom 4.  And please don't tell me that his hitting would improve if they moved him up.  Let's wait until he earns the right to be moved up and deal with that problem then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I wouldn't make that move.

It's a knee jerk reaction to one game.

Ellsbury has started hitting, Pedroia and Gonzalez have been more consistent than the rest. Leave these 3 together and see if it continues. Breaking them up now is crazy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Nope. #2.
    Ells
    CC
    Pedey
    Youk
    Agon
    Jed
    Papi
    JD
    Salt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

So you want your #2 hitter to have a sub .200 On Base Average?

I'd bat JD Drew 2nd before I put Hucklebury there........

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The OP is clearly not serious.  As fivekatz says, he was never a good bet in the 3 slot, which I think Adrian Gonzalez owns, period. 

While I prefer Ellsbury leading off, especially like now when he is hot, I could see Crawford doing that.  Otherwise, somewhere at #6 or later. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Should Crawford be put back as #3 in the batting order?:
    So you want your #2 hitter to have a sub .200 On Base Average? I'd bat JD Drew 2nd before I put Hucklebury there........
    Posted by andrewmitch

Yes. His OBP will improve and we need the speed at the top of the line-up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well his OBP is .200 now...Not his BA, his OBP.  If it improves come June how is that going to help us in May?

How is his speed going to help us if he is making outs 80% of the time?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Well his OBP is .200 now...Not his BA, his OBP.  If it improves come June how is that going to help us in May? How is his speed going to help us if he is making outs 80% of the time?
    Posted by andrewmitch

Youk is also making outs 80% of time, worse w/RISP. Does that mean we move him down? Of course not. We know what Crawford is capable of, and shuffling him around is not the answer.
    Wrongway needs to put him where he needs him and leave him there, or else sit him on the bench.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think you need to revisit Youk's OBP my friend - it's 400....He's only making outs 60% of the time.  You do realize that 60% vs 80% is difference between stocking shelves at WalMart and being in the Hall of Fame, right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Should Crawford be put back as #3 in the batting order? : Youk is also making outs 80% of time, worse w/RISP. Does that mean we move him down? Of course not. We know what Crawford is capable of, and shuffling him around is not the answer. Wrongway needs to put him where he needs him and leave him there, or else sit him on the bench.
    Posted by Alibiike
    Right now is where he belongs, at the bottom of the order. Aside from whatever roles hitters at the very top of the line-up have because they are assured of getting up in the exact order they are set in the first inning, where hitters are placed increases their odds of getting to the plate more times in a game.

The best hitters are the ones that get the most PAs naturally. Right now CC is not who we want to get the most PAs.

The reason he isn't sitting on the bench is because he can't get out of his terrible slump from the bench. But putting him high up in order right now makes very little sense.

His place in the line-up is a reflection of his current slump, a .215 OBP is pretty much as awful as it can get with over 100 PAs. In fact it is the lowest in the AL for any player with 100 or more PAs as is his OPS (.453).

"Wrongway" has CC right where he belongs right now, it is CC and not Francona who will move CC up in the order IMO. And I am sure CC will move up at some point, hopefully sooner than later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Nope. #2. Ells CC Pedey Youk Agon Jed Papi JD Salt
    Posted by Alibiike

I would never let me say that again NEVER! move Pedey from the two spot unless Youk or Agon go down

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Hopefully Crawford will come around. But, based on his performance to date, no he does not deserve to be batting 3rd. He came through nicely yesterday, but he needs to show some consistancy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Why even look at his stats right now? He's the worst hitting LF in the league. That's all we need to know. Hopefully, tonight things start changing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He makes Kevin Millar in 2005 look like Jim Rice

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Well his OBP is .200 now...Not his BA, his OBP.  If it improves come June how is that going to help us in May? How is his speed going to help us if he is making outs 80% of the time?
    Posted by andrewmitch

not to mention... when he gets on he ain't stealing bases either !!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He did look good getting picked off though.  I think he said after the game that "his feet fell good under him" or something to that effect (JK!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

The only thing Crawford should be involved in putting back is Putting Back Money in Henry's pocket so Henry could offer rebates to fans having to watch that fiasco !! I've seen players in slumps this is not a slump, This is a Total Meltdown. The Red Sox would probably be better off if Crawford Sub letted his spot on the Roster to somebody who can hit the ball out of the infield.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Who would ever have guessed that Crawford would start out with these sorts of numbers. he is not hitting well for sure but it also seems like the umps aren't on his side, the line drive Gods are not on his side...etc. No breaks. He's due.

Sections
Shortcuts