Should Designated Hitters Be Hall Of Famers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Should Designated Hitters Be Hall Of Famers?

In Response to Re: Should Designated Hitters Be Hall Of Famers?:
    [QUOTE]That worthless, non-fielder Ortiz hit another homer today. Yeah, no way do  you put a guy like that in the Hall. Right. Forget about his torrid career of homers, RBI, GW hits, clutch hits, hits to start rallies, extend rallies, help his team win games. No, you don't want one of the greatest Sox ever to make the Hall. I mean you have to penalize him. Jesus H. Jiminy, I'm so sick of this assumption that DHs don't have a place in the game.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

No question he is having another great year.  Rejuvenated.  Enthusiastic.  Fast (almost).  Forget the dinger, I loved that bunt single.  So maybe he's a candidate to be the exception to the rule.  Bobby V sure wants to play him at Philly, and AGon will go to RF field. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

[QUOTE]Ortiz finished in the top 5 in MVP voting 5 straight years.  One of those was a second place finish.  So obviously the baseball writers recognize the value of a DH who puts up the numbers Papi has. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]  If you add them all together, how many MVP awards have Edgar Martinez and David Ortiz won?  The answer is none.  David Ortiz is essentially a gloveless Carlos Delgado and neither player will ever get into Cooperstown without buying an admission ticket nor should they. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Willie Hernandez won the MVP and he didn't even start a single game. What does winning an MVP have to do with making the HOF? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

[QUOTE]Willie Hernandez won the MVP and he didn't even start a single game. What does winning an MVP have to do with making the HOF? 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]  The same could be said if a DH ever won an MVP award.  It would not matter, but sometimes it helps.  A coke addict named Dennis Eckersley won an MVP award without starting a single game and he's in the HOF.  Go figure! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Edgar was obviously a juicer.  You don't add 200 points to your OPS at age 32 naturally.  Just ask Jose "my mechanics are out of whack again since blood testing began" Bautista.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Designated Hitters Be Hall Of Famers? : the harder skill is putting the bat on those pitches.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]
    Right, that's what I said.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Should Designated Hitters Be Hall Of Famers?:
    [QUOTE]By Tim Britton/Providence Jornal: ..." IS EDGAR MARTINEZ A HALL OF FAMER? That depends on your view of the designated hitter. SHOULD DESIGNATED HITTERS BE HALL OF FAMERS? There's two schools of thought: the "DH is a position, and if a guy dominates at his position, he's a Hall of Famer" school, and the "DH isn't a real position, and nobody who can't play defense belongs in the Hall" school. I fall in between, closer to the first idea. I don't think you can hold all of Martinez's accomplishments against him because he was a pretty bad third baseman. At the same time, he has to have considerably better offensive statistics than someone who is even average defensively, since he offers no value in the field. It's the same way I'd consider a DH for MVP. SO: Edgar Martinez has very impressive offensive statistics. He had an OPS+ over 150 for seven years running. David Ortiz has not done that. SO: Yeah, he's probably a Hall of Famer. It may take awhile, though.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt, Edgar and Papi deserve the recognition. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Designated Hitters Be Hall Of Famers? : ok. if you say so.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]
    Yup.