Should Iglesias be up in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Should Iglesias be up in Boston

After watching Drew Sutton the last 7 games, I think we are making a mistake not having Iglesias up....one....he is an above avergae major league defender already.....two, he adds a speed element at the end of the game....and three, even if his bat is not ready, its not like Sutton is much better. There have been at least 4 balls that I believe iglesias would have gotten to that Sutton hasnt including the hit up the middle yesterday that made it 7-3, plus if you need to have Lowrie and Iglesias in the game at the same time it moves Lowrie from SS, which is his weakest position, with Sutton they leave Lowrie and SS and you are weak at two positions. As far as him needing at bats down in the minors...he can learn more about hitting just from talking to Adrian Gonzalez than being in the minors...even big papi would agree with that. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Should Iglesias be up in Boston

please take the long view on Iglesias, not the 2 week view. He is not ready to play in the major leagues. Would he have gotten to a ball loast night? Yes. Would he being on the major league roster stunt his development? Yes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

No.   No.    No.

No.   No.    No.

No.   No.    No.

No.   No.    No.

Sutton is a utility player. There's a reason, utility players aren't starters. They have flaws. If he's that bad, Scuturo should be back soon anyway.

Iglesius is a future starter. The only way he's going to get better is to play every day and hit every day. You keep iglesius in the minors where he can play every day and get at-bats every day.

There is absolutely no need to rush the kid.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Iglesias ain't ready, pure and simple.  Until he learns how to hit--not hit great, just hit decently--he needs to stay in the minors.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No way..not ready yet..Kid needs the Ab's at AAA to learn to be more patient and improve his pitch recognition.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

No.Although he probably has a MLB ready glove,Iglasias needs to become more patient at the plate and learn the strike zone better.He has to have steady reps in the minors to become a better and more confident hitter.If he was on the Sox,he'd be riding the bench most of the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Absolutely he should be there now. Overall team defense now is way better than last year. His presence at SS only make it better. The other guys, MS, JL, DS are defensive downgrades compared to him.Forget the bat. If he comes up late in the game when the sox are losing close, pinch hit for him. He's earned the chance to play, all he needs is the opportunity. No doubt about it. This dog can hunt.             

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

We'll see him again soon.  Maybe August.  Right now he needs more experience at the plate.  And Scutaro will be back soon, so there wouldn't be much playing time

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Update: Jose Iglesias hit a double on May 24 for his first and only extra base hit at AAA.  He now has one extra base hit in 125 atbats at Pawtucket.  He's making progress.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I'm a Sox fan and hope Iglesias has a great career but let's call a spade a spade.

He can't hit at all right now!!  I don't mean that he needs a little more work in AAA.  I mean he's worse than terrible with the stick!!!

His OPS is .523!!!!  .275 OBP & .248 SLG.  That's brutal.

Let the kid have a full yr in the minors and maybe he'll make some progress.  I don't care how good his glove is.  He will not be the starting SS for the Sox unless he can hit better than he has.

I'm really not sure what you guys that are clamoring for him base your opinion on.  Why even have minor leagues if you just want to promote guys to the majors whether they're ready or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He is not ready, plain and simple. Give him more time to develop.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Right now the best player in the Sox minor league system is Bryce Brentz the dude can flatout hit! He also should be a poster child for why compensation picks should be valued...Iglesias is already MLB ready glove wise he just needs to hit .250 to take the job away from whomever..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I agree that iglesias should be up right now. Lowrie can hit but his fielding is below average for a major league shortstop. He has brutal range and is much better suited to play second base. Call up iglesias, send down sutton. Sox should look to deal lowrie for either a right fielder to replace drew or a starter. They should try to move him while his value is so high. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Lowrie has stopped hitting, and his OPS is plummeting.  Plus his fielding issues are apparent.  Right now, not very good trade bait.

Moving Iglesias up when he isn't ready means he will basically sit on the bench.  Of what value is that to his development as a player and especially as a hitter?  None. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

he can't hit lol.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

It's not about hitting. It's about catching and throwing the ball. We have a problem at SS, a catching and throwing problem. As I posted earlier, this kid is a defensive upgrade over MS,JL,DS. This kid is the best we've got at this position. Why keep him down when we need him up? Going forward this position figures to handle more balls than any other infield position. If he's up and can't handle it send him down. If he's the #1 prospect in the organization he has to come up and when he gets up let him play. Don't stiff him like the last time before Sutton came. Now if this is not possible they need to go out and get a SS to have a chance at the post season. This problem would be more noticeable if A-Gon wasn't at 1B. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

need to get Lowrie out of ss as soon as possible. One of the worst I have ever seen. No range, rock hands, below average arm, but he sure can hit. Dont know what to do with him. Iglesias from what I saw is nowhere near ready to hit at major league level. He was overmatched by every pitcher he faced. Right now I have to say a healty Scutaro is the answer. Solid d and a little offense that Sox could get around right now

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lowrie's fielding issues were always apparent to those who look beyong just flg%.

It makes sense to have a defensive whiz as out utlity guy to replce Jed in the 8th or 9th, but when Scutty comes back, we are stuck with what we have on defense.

Jed's 4 for his last 10, so maybe he's getting warm again. He's been OB in 6 of his last 12 PAs.

Iglesias will stay in AAA until Sept, unless 1 of our SSs is dealt or hurt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

scutaro is hardly any better than jed at fielding and has no arm. Scutaro is a good utility guy which is the reason why that has been his role for the majority of his career. Iglesias is the best fielding ss we have by a longshot. He is hitting .240 in AAA and if given more experience I believe he can adapt to ML pitching. At the moment though I am not worried about his hitting. He would hit 9th in the order so I would not expect much hitting from him but his fielding will help us. As someone mentioned there was a play last night i believe where drew sutton was playing short a ball the he should have got to was out of his range and ended up scoring 2 runs. Shortstop is all about defense. If your shortstop hits great, but shortstop is not a run producing position. A really good fielding ss like iglesias will make up for his lack of hitting by saving runs with his fielding. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

As much as I hate it Moon,I think you could be right. If they're intent on dealing Cameron and Scutaro they are going to have to play them. That doesn't make the problem go away though. My feeling right now is that JI will get his chance before the 7/31 trade deadline and the FO will make a decision based on that. Get a fill in, trade for a front liner, or go with JI. Let's see how it plays out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Navarro is a better choice than Iglesias--a much better hitter and an above average fielder (reportedly).  But he is on the DL.  I'd rather temporize with Sutton/Lowrie/Scutaro and wait for Navarro to get healthy. 

Right now Iglesias's OPS is .507, which is the worst on the PawSox and which could mean that he isn't ready for AAA, let alone MLB.  And he has 6 errors in 35 games. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

In Response to Re: Should Iglesias be up in Boston:
    He is not ready, plain and simple. Give him more time to develop.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Yeah, I heard Sean McAdam say his defense is major league ready, but his bat is not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Sox should go after Reyes since Iglesias likely won't be ready for a few years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Iglesias in Arizona and AAA ~200 PA  2 extra base hits.  Give him time..

Sections
Shortcuts