SHOULD JED LOWRIE CONSIDER JUST HITTING FROM THE RIGHT SIDE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

SHOULD JED LOWRIE CONSIDER JUST HITTING FROM THE RIGHT SIDE?

for his entire career, he has been a far better hitter from the right side than he has been from the left side. this year he has 116 AB, .224 BA, .295 OBP, .302 slugging, and .597 OPS. as a rightie, he has 58 AB, .431 BA, .443 OBP, .690 SLUGGING, 1.133 OPS. i think this is a big enough sample esp when added to his entire career to say he should not be a switch-hitter and should consider just being a full-time right-handed hitter. how can he be much worse? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Re: SHOULD JED LOWRIE CONSIDER JUST HITTING FROM THE RIGHT SIDE?

Switch-hitting is pointless, for the most part. I say if there is a .200 OPS difference or more in your splits, you shouldn't be hitting from the weaker side. I know switch-hitters do it so they can "see the ball better," but I'd rather see poor switch-hitters see the ball not as well while hitting from a stronger side. At least give it a try.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I heard he was better from the left side in the minors and college.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I say if there is a .200 OPS difference or more in your splits, you shouldn't be hitting from the weaker side.

Does that then mean Crawford should try switch hitting?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: SHOULD JED LOWRIE CONSIDER JUST HITTING FROM THE RIGHT SIDE?:
    [QUOTE] I say if there is a .200 OPS difference or more in your splits, you shouldn't be hitting from the weaker side. Does that then mean Crawford should try switch hitting?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    What? Way to move the goalposts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

It is an entirely different viewpoint hitting righties from the right-side.  It would take him a while to adjust.  I say this based on everytime someone brings this up about a player, a former major leaguer makes that comment.  The most recent case I heard was from Harold Reynolds last year when people said that about Varitek.  So it is not just a case of he will bat better as a righty vs righties because he switches.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: SHOULD JED LOWRIE CONSIDER JUST HITTING FROM THE RIGHT SIDE?:
    [QUOTE] I say if there is a .200 OPS difference or more in your splits, you shouldn't be hitting from the weaker side. Does that then mean Crawford should try switch hitting?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]that clearly isnt true for craw's entire poor career! so its an anomaly for now. with jed, its been so for his entire major league career. minors are different and in college he struggled til his last year as a switch-hitter. they should give it a shot for a year, perhaps in winter ball, see how it goes. he's a natural rightie. he's not a natural leftie!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]It is an entirely different viewpoint hitting righties from the right-side.  It would take him a while to adjust.  I say this based on everytime someone brings this up about a player, a former major leaguer makes that comment.  The most recent case I heard was from Harold Reynolds last year when people said that about Varitek.  So it is not just a case of he will bat better as a righty vs righties because he switches.
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]tek had seasos where he was both better from the right or the left and some with more even splits. jed has NEVER been even close to balanced. his entire major league career, he's been far superior from the right side than the left.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]It is an entirely different viewpoint hitting righties from the right-side.  It would take him a while to adjust.  I say this based on everytime someone brings this up about a player, a former major leaguer makes that comment.  The most recent case I heard was from Harold Reynolds last year when people said that about Varitek.  So it is not just a case of he will bat better as a righty vs righties because he switches.
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]
    He also couldn't bat any worse than he does left-handed. I do remember he switched and hit right-handed against Mussina many years ago. Didn't work out too well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...that clearly isnt true for craw's entire poor career! so its an anomaly for now.

vs LHPs/vs RHPs
    Craw career: .682 / .815  (-.133)
    Craw 2010:   .696 / .930   (-.233)
    Craw 2011:   .371 / .785   (-.414)

Yes, this year is an "anomaly", but CC has always struggled vs LHPs. It's not so much about the differential; it's more about how bad is the worst split, and is it a number worthy of being platooned or not. I'd say both should be platooned if we have someone with much better splits. 

Jed's numbers (vs RHPs/LHPs):
    Career:  .649 / .991   (-.342)
    2010:     .823 / 1.025 (-.202)
    2011:     .597 / 1.132 (-.535)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He's had a whole 375 at bats over the last two years. Before that, he had a bad wrist. In 1384 minor league at bats, the splits were far more even.

Adjustments take time. If he thought he'd be more productive hitting from one side of the plate, he'd do it. The fact he hasn't is telling.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to SHOULD JED LOWRIE CONSIDER JUST HITTING FROM THE RIGHT SIDE?:
    [QUOTE]for his entire career, he has been a far better hitter from the right side than he has been from the left side. this year he has 116 AB, .224 BA, .295 OBP, .302 slugging, and .597 OPS. as a rightie, he has 58 AB, .431 BA, .443 OBP, .690 SLUGGING, 1.133 OPS. i think this is a big enough sample esp when added to his entire career to say he should not be a switch-hitter and should consider just being a full-time right-handed hitter. how can he be much worse? 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Many people over the years felt the same way about Jason.  Would he have been a more consistent hitter late in his career if he had chosen one side of the plate.  It's an ego thing for most players who want to be recognized as a SWH. 

Even if a SWH does change to one side of the plate doesn't necessarily mean he will hit both lefties or righties better right?  Hard to judge

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Most switch hitters are probably better off just staying on one side all the time.  It is a pretty pointless skill.

I do always have my "Princess Bride" fantasy that at some point, in a very key at-bat against Mariano Rivera, Lowrie will smile and say "I just remembered; I am not left-handed."  Hopefully he will even adopt Mandy Patinkin's faux Spanish accent as well.

Then Jed will turn around and take Rivera deep for a walk-off HR...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SHOULD JED LOWRIE CONSIDER JUST HITTING FROM THE RIGHT SIDE? : He also couldn't bat any worse than he does left-handed. I do remember he switched and hit right-handed against Mussina many years ago. Didn't work out too well.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie[/QUOTE]

jed has NO hrs from the left, 3 from right (more power as well). look at the RBI total. has by far more from the right with far less at bats and opportunities. there's nothing he does better from the left side, not average, not power, nothing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I disagree Notin. Seeing a curve or slider break from UR helmet into the top of the strike zone is best avoided! SW hitters definitely have an edge, and it's hardly an ego thing. Players are platooned for damn good reason.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Does anyone know of someone who completely stopped switch hitting after they got to the majors?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Mike Schmidt was a switch hitter in the minors.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I seem to remember a Sox player who tried switch hitting towards the end of his career. I seem to remember he hit an HR his first AB, but then went 0 for 20 afterwards and gave it up. I thought it was Rico Petrocelli, but it wasn't. Anyone remember who it was?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Mooslow likes to post snipets to mislead the reader. Lowrie didn't play  but a few weeks in 2010 with tired days off, coming aboard when the team was just about out of the playoff picture. Disregard 2010, as it wasn't "2010", it was a few weeks.
    I heard he was better from the left side in the minors and college

Ortiz was a great pitcher in little league.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wasn't misleading anyone. I happen to agree that Lowrie stinks vs RHPs and shouldn't play against about 75% of them. I mearly posted the numbers to mke the point that Crawford is almost as bad against lefties as Jed is ve righties.

They should both sit vs the wrong handed pitchers.

Secondly, I wasn't aware we were out of it in mid-July I guess that's why you think TB will be outof it in June. I also wasn't aware that all stats after July 21st don't count in your twisted ever-moving goalpost circus.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

The best thing that could happen to you is for the goalposts to come crashing down on your vacuous skull.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's impossible: you move them so quickly, it would be yanked away before it could hit anything.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am at a loss as to why the Red Sox employ Magadan and pay him so much money with so much free advice available on community chat boards.

Obviously switch hitting is not "pointless."

Equally obvious is that many of the experts here haven't got a clue what they are talking about when suggestions like these arise.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

no switch hitter ever just stops hitting from one side.  Mantle woulda hit like 100 more HR if he only hit lefty but he didn't do it.  no one does it. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree Notin . Seeing a curve or slider break from UR helmet into the top of the strike zone is best avoided! SW hitters definitely have an edge, and it's hardly an ego thing. Players are platooned for damn good reason.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that.

It's the kind of thing most MLB-caliber players can get away with doing most of their amateur and professional lives, because they outclass everyone else in Little League, high school, etc. possibly right on through the minor leagues. 

But the reality is very, very few people are equally coordinated with both hands.  And as the level of competition increases, the differences a switch hitter is capable of from either side of the plate get exposed to a greater degree.

This is probably why very, very few switch hitters are equally good from both sides.  There are some exceptions, of course.

Personally, I think a lot of them probably would have been better off not switch hitting at all and sticking with their dominant side, and spent more time learning to hit those tougher breaking pitches.  Especially those whose dominant side is right-handed, because they bat from their weakness far too often.

This has nothing to do with platooning; it's about knowing your strength and working on it.