Should Lucchino go?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

Should Lucchino go?

I say yes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Should Lucchino go?

Absolutely! Yes. As many times as I can shout it. YES!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I agree ... I was gonna start a thread about him being a poor judge of both talent and fan desire.  He reminds me of the Clinton administration ... only did things after the polls showed favorable ratings (other than the things he did with black cocktail dresses....) 

I ... sholdn't have mentioned politics, sorry.

I also think we ought to understand that Henry is not at all averse to cutting losses ... it is how he made his billions, after all.  Hedge funds are all about managing those possi bilities

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree ... I was gonna start a thread about him being a poor judge of both talent and fan desire.  He reminds me of the Clinton administration ... only did things after the polls showed favorable ratings (other than the things he did with black cocktail dresses....) 

I ... sholdn't have mentioned politics, sorry.

I also think we ought to understand that Henry is not at all averse to cutting losses ... it is how he made his billions, after all.  Hedge funds are all about managing those possi bilities

[/QUOTE]

Larry Lucchino has a giant ego that unfortunately gets in his own way at times.  Marketing has always been his strength, but he seemed to be out of touch this year with all of these "anniversary teams," promotional events and the ridiculous sell out streak.  Boston is a "baseball first" town, people will buy tickets if you put a "likable" team on the field.  They don't need the circus atmosphere. 

Lucchino was also behind the Valentine signing as well as some other big ticket signings that didn't work, mainly to boost NESN ratings.  Lucchino has said he always likes to play "devil's advocate" to the baseball operations people when they proposed a trade, signing, etc., which is fine, but he seemed to get way too involved during the last couple of seasons.  It's no secret that Ben Cherington will have more authority this winter, which should be a good thing...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The problem w/ Lucchino is he is an attorney 1st not a baseball guy. He should never be involved in baseball operations decisions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Yes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Your all wrong. You are counting Lucchino value in wins and losses. Red Sox ownership is counting Luccino value in $$$. Larry is way, way way, valuable to this team. Until this team is no longer a cash cow, Larry is a genius, and untouchable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Your all wrong. You are counting Lucchino value in wins and losses. Red Sox ownership is counting Luccino value in $$$. Larry is way, way way, valuable to this team. Until this team is no longer a cash cow, Larry is a genius, and untouchable. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Just like they used to say about Meyer Lansky " His partners always made money". 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree w/ you that he is valuable to them in this aspect. But he's not a baseball guy he's a busn man 1st always has been always will be. He should not be getting involved w/ hiring managers and player personnel decisions.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree w/ you that he is valuable to them in this aspect. But he's not a baseball guy he's a busn man 1st always has been always will be. He should not be getting involved w/ hiring managers and player personnel decisions.  

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...he's not going anywhere anytime soon unless the Commissioner job opens up, as he is a favorite candidate to replace Selig when he steps down.  It's already been made clear that Ben will have more autonomy this winter, but the Sox will bring a veteran "baseball presence" into the Front Office to help the baseball ops out, which should help. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He had been really on the back burner the last few years of Theo's reign. Agon, CC, resigning Beckett etc are all Theo, not on Lucchino. You can put Valentine on Larry, but at the time, who didn't want V over DSveum? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

If he wants to design merchandise and upgrade the menus at Fenway keep him. They can even let him keep his little sell out streak since it seems to mean so much to him.

I'd rather he not be making decisions on players. Or managers. Or the uniforms. How often the grass is cut, or the patterns in the outfield. What shade of brown the infield dirt is. Basically nothing that happens on the field.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

You hit on exactly what has gone wrong with this team in the last few years, something that began with the 2007 Championship.  Larry is a businessman first, and his primary goal is to bring in the most profit.  Wins are secondary to him.

IMO, he is the impetus behind the huge contracts in the last several years, not Theo.  He wants the big name players that are going to sell the merchandise and put the fans in the seats - the ones who are going to make a big marketing splash.

Theo has alluded to the disconnect between his baseball point of view when trying to put a team together and the business point of view when trying to put a team together.

Larry is great in the business side of things.  However, he needs to butt out when it comes to the baseball side of things.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He had been really on the back burner the last few years of Theo's reign. Agon, CC, resigning Beckett etc are all Theo, not on Lucchino. You can put Valentine on Larry, but at the time, who didn't want V over DSveum? 

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. If Theo had been allowed to do his job as he saw fit then he probably wouldn't have left. Look no further than how Francona was treated to see what kind of low personality Lucchino is. As long as he is left to smear his grimy paw-prints all over baseball operations, the team will continue to be a s#!tty mess.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So what are some examples of his money making prowess and why would one think that someone else could not do just as good of a job from a $$$ perspective while not being so meddlesome in baseball operations?

So he can't be replaced? And he still is an overall + to the organization?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to user_3952186's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So what are some examples of his money making prowess and why would one think that someone else could not do just as good of a job from a $$$ perspective while not being so meddlesome in baseball operations?

So he can't be replaced? And he still is an overall + to the organization?

[/QUOTE]

For some reason owner John "Prune Face" Henry leans on Lucchino like a guy with lumbago.  It iss incongruous  that he can't see that Lucchino has no business in the baseball end of it.  Larry is a promotions and money person and doesn't know barf from branola about the workings on the field.  He is a lawyer and da#n liberal to boot (had to get that in) and should be kept as far away from doing concerning personnel as possible.  Yet there he is, meddling already with the GM who said he wanted to name a manager as soon as possible and hit the ground running.  Instead the meddling bum undercuts a GM who many of us are suspicious of already of being nothing more than an errand boy for Lucchino by saying there is no time table to naming a new skipper.  It all starts at the top or, better yet, a fish rots from the top down.  It is up to Henry  to tell his pal Luchy to stay in promotions and advertising and leave the baseball ops to people who know baseball.  A good baseball minded aide to Cherington would be a much needed step in that direction.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Three wet-blanket, grump, miserable peas in a pod.

Pumpsie Green

DannyCater

SeabeachFred

All from Las Angelas

Does Smog do that to you?

[/QUOTE]

How does this answer the question?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didn't Lucchino play basketball with Bill Bradley at Princeton?

[/QUOTE]

So let him go to Princeton. Who cares. What the $@%& does that have to do with baseball in Boston?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You hit on exactly what has gone wrong with this team in the last few years, something that began with the 2007 Championship.  Larry is a businessman first, and his primary goal is to bring in the most profit.  Wins are secondary to him.

IMO, he is the impetus behind the huge contracts in the last several years, not Theo.  He wants the big name players that are going to sell the merchandise and put the fans in the seats - the ones who are going to make a big marketing splash.

Theo has alluded to the disconnect between his baseball point of view when trying to put a team together and the business point of view when trying to put a team together.

Larry is great in the business side of things.  However, he needs to butt out when it comes to the baseball side of things.

[/QUOTE]

I agree: it would be best if LL got out of baseball OPS alltogether. If he could take Cherington with him that would be even better. This team needs a new look, a fresh approach, some new blood. Thats one reason why I don't think Farrell should be hired. We have been going downhill for five years. Cosmetic changes are not going to right the ship.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

Why does everything think Cherrington is a baseball guy and Lucchino is not. For what it's worth Lucchino probably knows more about baseball than Cherrington.   Just because Cherrington has the title doesn't mean he is any more knowledgeable about talent.  His only decent move this past year was Ross and his insistence on making Bard a starter I think says more about his talent evaluation than anything. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to elktonnick's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why does everything think Cherrington is a baseball guy and Lucchino is not. For what it's worth Lucchino probably knows more about baseball than Cherrington.   Just because Cherrington has the title doesn't mean he is any more knowledgeable about talent.  His only decent move this past year was Ross and his insistence on making Bard a starter I think says more about his talent evaluation than anything. 

[/QUOTE]

Lucchino has never been a scout or gm of any kind in any organization. He was litigator who was hired by the Orioles to be the team Pres. BC has worked solely in player personnel positions his entire career. I agree on the Bard decision but to say he knows more about talent is silly. If that were the case he would just make himself the gm.

Sections
Shortcuts