Should Lucchino go?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

Re: Should Lucchino go?

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to elktonnick's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why does everything think Cherrington is a baseball guy and Lucchino is not. For what it's worth Lucchino probably knows more about baseball than Cherrington.   Just because Cherrington has the title doesn't mean he is any more knowledgeable about talent.  His only decent move this past year was Ross and his insistence on making Bard a starter I think says more about his talent evaluation than anything. 

[/QUOTE]

Lucchino has never been a scout or gm of any kind in any organization. He was litigator who was hired by the Orioles to be the team Pres. BC has worked solely in player personnel positions his entire career. I agree on the Bard decision but to say he knows more about talent is silly. If that were the case he would just make himself the gm.

[/QUOTE]

Lucchino has been a CEO and President of three ML teams since 1988.  He has seen GMs and scouts come and go.  Ben hasn't proven he knows anything about talent.  Lucchino will be in the hall of fame one day. At the rate Ben is going I'd be surprised if he lasts long as GM.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to user_3952186's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Your all wrong. You are counting Lucchino value in wins and losses. Red Sox ownership is counting Luccino value in $$$. Larry is way, way way, valuable to this team. Until this team is no longer a cash cow, Larry is a genius, and untouchable. 

[/QUOTE]

So what are some examples of his money making prowess and why would one think that someone else could not do just as good of a job from a $$$ perspective while not being so meddlesome in baseball operations?

So he can't be replaced? And he still is an overall + to the organization?

[/QUOTE]

he is running NESN as well, and the RS winning is paramount to NESN's profits. LL is not making the day to day decision to sign a free agent. BC wanted to hire Sveum, yet the other owners did not agree, so LL stepped in on V....to think LL is deciding who to bring in, up fropm the minors, or sign is simply incorrect..

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why does everything think Cherrington is a baseball guy and Lucchino is not. For what it's worth Lucchino probably knows more about baseball than Cherrington.   Just because Cherrington has the title doesn't mean he is any more knowledgeable about talent.  His only decent move this past year was Ross and his insistence on making Bard a starter I think says more about his talent evaluation than anything. 

[/QUOTE]

Lucchino has never been a scout or gm of any kind in any organization. He was litigator who was hired by the Orioles to be the team Pres. BC has worked solely in player personnel positions his entire career. I agree on the Bard decision but to say he knows more about talent is silly. If that were the case he would just make himself the gm.

[/QUOTE]

Lucchino has been a CEO and President of three ML teams since 1988.  He has seen GMs and scouts come and go.  Ben hasn't proven he knows anything about talent.  Lucchino will be in the hall of fame one day. At the rate Ben is going I'd be surprised if he lasts long as GM.

[/QUOTE]

Again you answered your own comment. LL may go to the HOF someday but it will be for innovative means of making money and getting new stadiums built not player personnel decisions. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Again you answered your own comment. LL may go to the HOF someday but it will be for innovative means of making money and getting new stadiums built not player personnel decisions. 

[/QUOTE]
    Precisely. One should know where one adds value and Lucchino does not seem to have mastered that yet. I beliefve he is intelligent and efficient, just not in the areas that the Sox have him focused, and this is creating issues.

Someone previously mentioned Dan Duquette, and I believe he may be quite underrated in his ability. The 2004 squad was largely his, and look what he has done with the O's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Precisely. One should know where one adds value and Lucchino does not seem to have mastered that yet. I beliefve he is intelligent and efficient, just not in the areas that the Sox have him focused, and this is creating issues.

Someone previously mentioned Dan Duquette, and I believe he may be quite underrated in his ability. The 2004 squad was largely his, and look what he has done with the O's.

[/QUOTE]
    Every CEO makes personnel decisions daily.  As the saying goes the buck stops (t)here.  It is niave to think one can be a successful CEO without being intimately involved in the personnel process especially in an industry such as professional sports.  Their product is entertainment.  The entertainment comes from the performers.  That is personnel in the macro sense. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Funny how management that gave us so many great years is so suddnely dumb by RS fans standards.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Funny how management that gave us so many great years is so suddnely dumb by RS fans standards.

[/QUOTE]

It was never implied that Lucchino was responsible for the so many great years. As CEO however, it's all about what have you done for me lately and the performance of his company on the field has been deteriorating rapidly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was never implied that Lucchino was responsible for the so many great years. As CEO however, it's all about what have you done for me lately and the performance of his company on the field has been deteriorating rapidly.

[/QUOTE]

On that I can agree.  Lucchino is responsible for two bad personnel decisions, Bobby Valentine and Ben Cherrington.  One gone, one to go!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Your all wrong. You are counting Lucchino value in wins and losses. Red Sox ownership is counting Luccino value in $$$. Larry is way, way way, valuable to this team. Until this team is no longer a cash cow, Larry is a genius, and untouchable.

You hit on exactly what has gone wrong with this team in the last few years, something that began with the 2007 Championship.  Larry is a businessman first, and his primary goal is to bring in the most profit.  Wins are secondary to him.

IMO, he is the impetus behind the huge contracts in the last several years, not Theo.  He wants the big name players that are going to sell the merchandise and put the fans in the seats - the ones who are going to make a big marketing splash.

Theo has alluded to the disconnect between his baseball point of view when trying to put a team together and the business point of view when trying to put a team together.

Larry is great in the business side of things.  However, he needs to butt out when it comes to the baseball side of things.

[/QUOTE]

I agree: it would be best if LL got out of baseball OPS alltogether. If he could take Cherington with him that would be even better. This team needs a new look, a fresh approach, some new blood. Thats one reason why I don't think Farrell should be hired. We have been going downhill for five years. Cosmetic changes are not going to right the ship.

[/QUOTE]

I thought you were willing to give Cherington a chance?

That didn't last long...

Aren't you a little old to let peer-pressure  from your buddies from sawksheads shape your opinions from day to day?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You hit on exactly what has gone wrong with this team in the last few years, something that began with the 2007 Championship.  Larry is a businessman first, and his primary goal is to bring in the most profit.  Wins are secondary to him.

IMO, he is the impetus behind the huge contracts in the last several years, not Theo.  He wants the big name players that are going to sell the merchandise and put the fans in the seats - the ones who are going to make a big marketing splash.

Theo has alluded to the disconnect between his baseball point of view when trying to put a team together and the business point of view when trying to put a team together.

Larry is great in the business side of things.  However, he needs to butt out when it comes to the baseball side of things.

[/QUOTE]

I agree: it would be best if LL got out of baseball OPS alltogether. If he could take Cherington with him that would be even better. This team needs a new look, a fresh approach, some new blood. Thats one reason why I don't think Farrell should be hired. We have been going downhill for five years. Cosmetic changes are not going to right the ship.

[/QUOTE]

That didn't last long...

Aren't you a little old to let peer-pressure  from your buddies from sawksheads shape your opinions from day to day?

[/QUOTE]

I have never wavered in my opinion that my preference is to have Cherington replaced by someone from outside the organization. I have called him "suspect", which means that I would have him on a short leash, probably just one year, in his attempts to improve the club. Is that stated clearly enough?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That didn't last long...

[/QUOTE]

I have never wavered in my opinion that my preference is to have Cherington replaced by someone from outside the organization. I have called him "suspect", which means that I would have him on a short leash, probably just one year, in his attempts to improve the club. Is that stated clearly enough?

[/QUOTE]

Excellent job of CYA.  Congrats!

If he does well, we'll hear how you were willing to give him a chance.

If he fails, you're on record for saying you wanted him gone with Larry.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

On that I can agree.  Lucchino is responsible for two bad personnel decisions, Bobby Valentine and Ben Cherrington.  One gone, one to go!

LL had nothing to do with bringing in BC. Cherington was hired by Dan Duquette.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He made the personnel decision to promote him to GM or to whatever his inflated title is now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He made the personnel decision to promote him to GM or to whatever his inflated title is now.

[/QUOTE]

If LL is so good at personnel decisions, why have a GM at all?

Seems like a waste of salary to me.

As for your CEO's make personnel decisions statement; I've been hired by companies with hundred of employees and companies with 60 employees.

Never saw a CEO involved...

That's called micromanaging, and is usually a bad idea.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If LL is so good at personnel decisions, why have a GM at all?

Seems like a waste of salary to me.

As for your CEO's make personnel decisions statement; I've been hired by companies with hundred of employees and companies with 60 employees.

Never saw a CEO involved...

That's called micromanaging, and is usually a bad idea.

[/QUOTE]

Not that you were aware of.  The GM is a significant hire as is field manager.  I'd expect the CEO of any high performance organization to be involved in such a significant hire.  The office boy or "janitor" of course not.  Is Ben a "janitor?"  Then again maybe you are right.  Ben is nothing more than a janitor.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another season like last and that cash cow could could run dry? RS fans may be loyal but will only put up w/ last years circus for so long!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Cleveland Plains Dealer allows for posts from the fans.

The bit I have read tells me the fans don't like the GM or the President... so grass is not greener over there  pike you stupid twat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Terry Francona reportedly has 'out clause' if Tribe front office is shaken: Cleveland Indians Insider

92 posts and counting on the above article.  Most are negative and anti-FO.