should MARIANO RIVERIA be the FIRST unanimous HOF selection... EVER?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: should MARIANO RIVERIA be the FIRST unanimous HOF selection... EVER?

I doubt it.

I personally doubt any player will ever receive 100 percent of the vote.

Koufax didn't although he was the youngest member inducted, at the time he deserved 100 percent..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes. No question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

SHOULD he be?  Absolutely!

WILL he be?  Proably not.  I predict there will be some idiotic writer who won't vote for him.  Then that writer will step foward and say that he refused vote for him for some asinine reason like, "I would NEVER vote for someone whose first and last names both end in vowels".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

YES!!!!!!!

The Cut Fastball should now be called, "The Mariano Rivera Pitch".    :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He should, but because of certain people who are on some kind of power trip and dont think anyone should get in on the 1st ballot wont allow that to happen. I cant wait til those voters arent voting anymore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In the pedantic sense of "should", of course not, there should have been many before him.  But why would anyone with a brain care about a vote like this, films, music, ect?

How Green Was My Valley.  Discuss.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If it was acceptable to, then I think I'd agree.  But there are plenty of more valuable players that won't be voted in unanimously. so then no.  Pedro might be as good as anyone who ever pitched, and I doubt he will be unanmous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if he isnt, then you have to pretty much bar any reliever from induction in the future...i say yea, easily

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

He definitely should be. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

He  most definitely should be unanimous. But the fact that Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, etc., weren't unanimous is a joke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

If it was acceptable to, then I think I'd agree.  But there are plenty of more valuable players that won't be voted in unanimously. so then no.  Pedro might be as good as anyone who ever pitched, and I doubt he will be unanmous.

Induction into the HOF not just based on valuability on the field, how well you played the game.

Sportsmenship, character are also a big factor.

And why anyone who receives 100 percent of the vote in order to do so has to meet a higher standard and are in a class by themselves.

Few meet this criteria:

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

http://baseballhall.org/hall-famers/rules-election/bbwaa

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

He  most definitely should be unanimous. But the fact that Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, etc., weren't unanimous is a joke.

Just like Pedro.  If someone like Mays isn't unanimous, there is no point making anyone unanimous. Mo might be the best closer in history, but no one would ever consider trading Mays even up for Mo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Just like Pedro.  If someone like Mays isn't unanimous, there is no point making anyone unanimous. Mo might be the best closer in history, but no one would ever consider trading Mays even up for Mo.

The vote is not just based on ability.

How you represent the game.

Mo in involved in many charities and fund raisers both in his home country and in the USA.

Mo just recently raised a half of mil to rehab a church in New Rochelle to convert it into a communiity center.

Rivera is involved with philanthropic contributions in his native Panama, which include building an elementary school and a church, providing Christmas gifts to children, and developing a program that provides computer access and adult mentors to youths.[22] The Mariano Rivera Foundation annually distributes more than $500,000 to underprivileged children in the US and Panama through church-based institutions. Rivera intends to dedicate himself to philanthropy after retiring from baseball.[129] In 2012, The Giving Back Fund estimated that he donated $627,500 to charity in 2010, ranking him as the 25th-most generous celebrity on a list that the fund compiled.[172]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariano_Rivera

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Should he be unanimous?  Yes....Will he be? No.  He will certainly make it in by a large margin but my guess is that he gets around 88% of the vote.  Before you say I'm crazy....check this out:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofmem4.shtml

The highest relief pitcher is Eck with 83%.  Yes mo is better...but the voters are stingy with relief pitchers.  Now look at all of the players with 90% or better....which players would you trade Mo for? Probably bot too many of them....MAYBE Alomar...MAYBE Palmer....?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I agree with a lot of what has been said.

There have been a few deserving players over the years who did not receive unanimous votes, but there will always be one or two voting that whoever it is just doesn't measure up.

Let's remember that Babe Ruth was a great player but he had a few warts too liked to smoke, booze and his women too.

He once collapsed after eating a dozen hotdogs.

A lot of his partying and carousing was no secret it was picked up by the press.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A closer typically is involved in fewer plays each season than a designated hitter.

Mariano Rivera will be a Hall of Famer, but the lingering prejudice against "part-time" players should keep Rivera from being a unanimous choice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Should he be unanimous?  Yes....Will he be? No.  He will certainly make it in by a large margin but my guess is that he gets around 88% of the vote.  Before you say I'm crazy....check this out:

The highest relief pitcher is Eck with 83%.  Yes mo is better...but the voters are stingy with relief pitchers.  Now look at all of the players with 90% or better....which players would you trade Mo for? Probably bot too many of them....MAYBE Alomar...MAYBE Palmer....?

Ty Cobb being #4 on that list is a joke in itself.

He had a few shortcomings when it came to character.

He once assaulted a heckler in the Polo grounds to name one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

And Ted Williams #18 on the voting list is a big joke.

I know the guy had a love-hate relationship with the press but he did join the Marines during WWII and actually he didn't have to go technically  in being the sole provider for his mom.

And then leaving baseball a 2nd time flying combat missions during the Korea war although he was offered and turned down cushie jobs by the military because he wanted to be a pilot.

Very few in the game of baseball with that much character, EVER.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucky-dent. Show bucky-dent's posts

Hush little baby don't say a word 
    And never mind that noise you heard 
    It's just the beast under your bed 
    In your closet in your head 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to bucky-dent's comment:

Hush little baby don't say a word 
    And never mind that noise you heard 
    It's just the beast under your bed 
    In your closet in your head 

i wish more pitchers came out to metallica....

from a positional standpoint, Mo is head and shoulders above any other reliever. At every other position you can debate who is the best.. with Mo, there is no debate. Still, i don't think he will be unanimously voted in...

Sections
Shortcuts