Should Red Sox Trade for Outfielder or Starting Pitcher At Trade Deadline?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Should Red Sox Trade for Outfielder or Starting Pitcher At Trade Deadline?

Which do the Red Sox need more at the trade deadline?
    Another outfield bat
    Another starting pitcher
    Something else

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Should Red Sox Trade for Outfielder or Starting Pitcher At Trade Deadline?

They need to acquire the best available arm out there - a starter is preferred but if it's a reliever that's fine too....A lefty reliever would be preferred but again, I go for quality over any other criteria.  We have enough guys on the staff who can be shuffled around to re-align for whatever arm we aquire.  But we need an arm.  Of course, we also have enough Offense too - if we can win games by scoring 5-6 runs then so be it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

A long reliever who can spot start.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALittleBitSouth. Show ALittleBitSouth's posts

KEEP Reddick, drop Drew, forget any trade other than for a pitcher. Repeat: Keep Reddick. And check the health of Gonzalez. Good hitters such as he don't just stop hitting; something may be wrong. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

pitching.....forget Beltran........
    Sox have enough offense.........pitching,pitching,pitching

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Right field looks set with Reddick & D-Mac, especially now that Kalish is playing in Pawtuck. So really the potential issues are pitching, shortstop and pitching.
    Can Navarro play adequately @ ss ? Will Lowrie return ? I definitely think Scutaro's arm is hanging by a thread, though luckily his bat is still okay. Navarro IF serviceable combined with Igllesias in AAA mostly settles this issue.

So the biggie : do we need another starter ? How hurt IS Buchholtz ?
    Will Lackey and Miller do the job ?
    If answers not good, I'd say try a starter rental, or even a blockbuster trade & sign if it's Jared Weaver or King Felix. (Dream On, I know).
    Somebody suggested Sox have overabundance of prospects we'll lose to Rule 5 draft next year; so if Iggy, Lavernaway & Middlebrooks untouchable perhaps we back up the truck on all others ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Starting pitcher. 

If the feeling is Buch won't return this year, they need another solid starter this year.  Going into the post season with Lackey/Wake/Miller as the 3/4/5 starters is scary.  Right now, the Sox have 3 #5/6 pitchers in their rotation.  they have the bats to overcome it in the regular season, but it could bite them in the post season.

If I'm Theo and I was going to make a big trade, I would go after a pitcher that could be in the rotation for the next few years as opposed to a rent-a-player.  Dice-K will probably never pitch for the Sox again.  I like Wake as a 6th/spot starter.  He can fill that roll next year.  Miller is a huge question mark.  Is he a serviceable 5th starter for the long term?

If they make a trade for a solid #3 and Buch comes back, then they are dominant.  If the trade for a solid #3 and Buch doesn't come back, then they will be strong enough to win the WS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Definitely an outfielder like Carlos Beltran.  Probably cost Reddick and Ellsbury, but worth it because no MLB team can ever expect to score runs without a righty outfielder with power.  Right now the Sox situation is precarious.  If the Mets insist, throw in Lester to sweeten the pot.

Who needs pitching? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

You always need pitching insurance.  Seriously, Beckett is the only healthy, reliable starter at the moment.  Lester should be back, but if that injury flares up again I would bet they consider shutting him down.  Buch is already a question for the rest of the season, and Lackey is capable of anything from a shutout to a burnout.  Miller is Dice-K revisited (an very ugly 4 -1), and Wake has given us a great boost, but neither should be on the mound in key games down the stretch or in the postseason.  If you can pry a Garza away from Chi, or someone else of that nature, you have to consider it.  The pen is OK as long as Albers and Morales continue to contribute, but you always could use another reliever, too.

Please forget Beltran - not worth solid prospects for him as a rental.  If anything look for a righty platoon for Reddick (or Drew) in RF, and to spell Craw/Ells on occasion.  DMac is a fair option if nobody is available, but there must be better bats coming on the market.  Also a utility infielder would be nice.  I'm not convinced Lowrie will be available much the rest of the year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: Should Red Sox Trade for Outfielder or Starting Pitcher At Trade Deadline?:
    [QUOTE]Definitely an outfielder like Carlos Beltran.  Probably cost Reddick and Ellsbury, but worth it because no MLB team can ever expect to score runs without a righty outfielder with power.  Right now the Sox situation is precarious.  If the Mets insist, throw in Lester to sweeten the pot. Who needs pitching? 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    You're KILLING me !!!  LOL, ROTFL,LMAO.
    But Softy would probably think (hope?) you're serious, anything to run Ellsbury out of town.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Should Red Sox Trade for Outfielder or Starting Pitcher At Trade Deadline?:
    [QUOTE]You always need pitching insurance.  Seriously, Beckett is the only healthy, reliable starter at the moment.  Lester should be back, but if that injury flares up again I would bet they consider shutting him down.  Buch is already a question for the rest of the season, and Lackey is capable of anything from a shutout to a burnout.  Miller is Dice-K revisited (an very ugly 4 -1), and Wake has given us a great boost, but neither should be on the mound in key games down the stretch or in the postseason.  If you can pry a Garza away from Chi, or someone else of that nature, you have to consider it.  The pen is OK as long as Albers and Morales continue to contribute, but you always could use another reliever, too. Please forget Beltran - not worth solid prospects for him as a rental.  If anything look for a righty platoon for Reddick (or Drew) in RF, and to spell Craw/Ells on occasion.  DMac is a fair option if nobody is available, but there must be better bats coming on the market.  Also a utility infielder would be nice.  I'm not convinced Lowrie will be available much the rest of the year.
    Posted by phxvlsoxfan[/QUOTE]

Do you have a reading deficiency?  Or do you simply not read before responding? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardhouse. Show gardhouse's posts

I think they need to replace Jencks position he looks
    like he'll be no help this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Lets start the "untouchable" list with Ranaudo. Iggy so far hasn't proven he will be able to play in the major leagues. I question how much other teams will value him anyways. Lavarnway imo is not a catcher, so he is blocked anyways at 1B. Careful on Kalish/Reddick as Ellsbury is playing himself into a huge contract. Will the Sox go there with him and might need a CF in the near future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

Miller can't throw strikes! Get a Hernandez type pitcher.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Miller can't throw strikes! Get a Hernandez type pitcher.
    Posted by jeffory[/QUOTE]As far as I know, there is only one "Hernandez type" pitcher. Ubaldo Jimenez might look pretty good as a 3rd starter though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Red Sox Trade for Outfielder or Starting Pitcher At Trade Deadline? : Do you have a reading deficiency?  Or do you simply not read before responding? 

Sorry - thought this thread was asking people's opinions.  Didn't mean to offend your highness.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Sorry - thought this thread was asking people's opinions.  Didn't mean to offend your highness"

I think he was disappointed you didn't realize he was joking in his post. Still, I like "your
     highness," that's funny.

I think Theo has the good sense to realize that pitching is the key here. Having said that, if he can get Beltran on the cheap....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Seriously we need a short stop.  I am convinced of it.  Yes, pitching is also needed, but Scutaro just doesn't play his position well, his throws are slow, and he seems to choke at the plate when we need it most.  Lowrie?  A nice memory.

A solid hitting and fielding short stop would do the trick, RH of course.  

If they ship Reddick off they are nuts.  Even if he is playing way over his head, he shows excellent plate discipline now.  And he will be a plus outfielder.   JD can be a defensive replacement in games, DMac and Reddick platoon in right.   

Replace Scutaro and we have a winner. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]pitching.....forget Beltran........ Sox have enough offense.........pitching,pitching,pitching
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

Right on, right on, right on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Definitely an outfielder like Carlos Beltran.  Probably cost Reddick and Ellsbury, but worth it because no MLB team can ever expect to score runs without a righty outfielder with power.  Right now the Sox situation is precarious.  If the Mets insist, throw in Lester to sweeten the pot. Who needs pitching? 
    Actually had me going there for a sec, bro.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

OF?  Nah, overall offense is great, maybe Drew will have a good finish with the bat...if not, he's still a great fielder plus Reddick - so far - has been great.

SP?  Tough one.  Not much out there, what's there will be expensive....IF Buch and Lester come back soon and stay healthy we're probably ok.

RP?  I'd like an upgrade, if possible.  As good as, say, Albers has been so far who do I totally trust in the post-season?  Paps definitely.... maybe Aceves and Bard ....after that not much to rely on.

I'd like an upgrade at SS...who is the big question.

Overall I don't think there are any major holes - assuming Buch and Lester return soon and at a normal level.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Impressed with what I saw from Weiland and Miller the past two games, but would not mind getting another solid starter, if the price was not too high.  The way Reddick has played diminishes the need for another rightfielder.  Don't really see the need for the Sox to do too much at the deadline. Would like to hold on to top prospects like, Lavarnway, Brentz, Ranaudo and Iglesias. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]Impressed with what I saw from Weiland and Miller the past two games, but would not mind getting another solid starter, if the price was not too high.  The way Reddick has played diminishes the need for another rightfielder.  Don't really see the need for the Sox to do too much at the deadline. Would like to hold on to top prospects like, Lavarnway, Brentz, Ranaudo and Iglesias. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Hear Hear. Miller & Lackey teasing with just enough potential to keep playing in rotation, someone even called Miller a l/h Matsuzaka !

Think you might add Middlebrooks to Keeper list.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Red Sox Trade for Outfielder or Starting Pitcher At Trade Deadline? : Hear Hear. Miller & Lackey teasing with just enough potential to keep playing in rotation, someone even called Miller a l/h Matsuzaka ! Think you might add Middlebrooks to Keeper list.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Add Middlebrooks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Without question pitching, preferable a starter Ubaldo? Would be nice if we didn't have to give the farm away.

And to the poster suggesting we check out Gonzalez' health...uhmmm he had 4 hits today.